Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am posting this for new owners

I have a 7 mile drive to work and the speed limit does not get above 45 except for 1 (only 1 ha ha) overpass that gets up to 55 for ½ a mile. I was driving my truck in OD and loafing it all the way to work never punching it. I noticed it was getting sluggish. So bad that my noticed- daddy your truck is not as fast as it used to be, now that’s BAD when they notice it !!!! So, I did some reading online Baseballfans and Shailey recommend to do some WOT runs- put it in 3rd and punch it till it shifts into 4th and couple of time then shut her down (I do that now once a month). Also, on the way to work and back from work on the overpass I put the truck in 3rd and punch in once until it shifts into 4th and I drive my truck in 4th now not OD. My truck performance has totally come back and she is a screamer again- thanks Baseballfans and Shailey!!!

I know some of you want to know why this happens (I did). From what I read every vehicle manufacturer is tasked to come up with some type of fuel saving software. Chevy has a really stupid delay that lasts 3 or 4 seconds- be glad we don’t have that on our trucks!! Anyway, what Nissan does is read your driving habits and trim fuel injector pulse width on the short term (how long the injector stays open in a cycle) to optimize economy thus you loose power. Have you ever had a vehicle that you buy new and over time you don’t notice that it has gotten slower until you put it in the shop and when you get it out and it rips like brand new? What they did was reset what I named above.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I believe what your explaining is the "granny mode" these truck's go into when your just putting around, this is normal. When ever you want to get it "in the mood" just drop it down to (3) like you mentioned & do a couple WOT run's. :)

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
It'll always give full power when floored so I'm not sure what we're talking about here. The tranny software has learning abilities (something Nissans have had for years) so maybe that's what you're feeling. But no, you don't have to floor it to get full power back on any vehicle...unless maybe you have some sort of a problem.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I just reset my ECU and that seems to make it come back alive.

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
Yeah I would always do a 3-4 WOT runs on my way to the track to get the truck out of granny mode

·
Registered
215 Posts
It'll always give full power when floored so I'm not sure what we're talking about here. The tranny software has learning abilities (something Nissans have had for years) so maybe that's what you're feeling. But no, you don't have to floor it to get full power back on any vehicle...unless maybe you have some sort of a problem.
It's not full power they're talking about, it's part throttle responsiveness. I've detected the same thing myself if I drive my Titan conservatively over a long period of time. 3-4 good WOT blasts seems to get it crisp again. I love the responsiveness on a cool day though. The truck feels like a rocket then. However, get it in granny mode during a hot day (above 100*) with the A/C on and my truck gets very sluggish especially on crap 87 octane gas. Using 89 octane exclusively for the last few years seems to have helped a lot in this regard.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I use nothing but 91 octane and get an occasional foot itch every now and then. LOL I need to tune again though...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Stupid question. What is WOT ?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
WOT-Wide Open Throttle

My truck gets a little sluggish if I drive it like a granny for a while. Mine wakes up especially after a lot of interstate driving, just the other day I was on the highway and stoped to pay a toll, I laid about ten feet of rubber accelerating out of the toll both just because it had a lot more go then normal and the cop three bays over followed me about three miles before he finally went around.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
When my Titan slips into granny mode, I definitely notice a lag throughout the WOT RPM range, as if it needs/wants more fuel. A few WOT 0-60 runs will snap it back into performance mode.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts