Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys i have two marks one for cold one for warn, i read the manual and i still no understanding how it works.

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
alohaarg said:
guys i have two marks one for cold one for warn, i read the manual and i still no understanding how it works.
The cold mark is where the line should be if the truck has not been run for a while and the engine is cold. If the engine has been running and is warm the line should be up to the Warm mark.
M4ck

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
Check it with the engine running. If the engine was cold before you started it, use the cold mark. If the truck has been driven so that all temps are up to normal, use the warm mark. Also, when checking the fluid, rotate the stick 180 degrees before inserting it. In other words, remove the screw holding the stick, pull out the dipstick, wipe the fluid off the stick with a clean paper towell, and reinsert the stick so the tab for the screw is on the other side from the tab on the dip stick tube. You must do this to get a accurate reading. After checking the level insert the stick in it's proper position and replace the screw.

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
most do it in park, but neutral will work

·
Registered
650 Posts
I'm confused...do I have this right?

The notches are for checking the fluid level when cold? The level should be at the top notch.
The hash marks are used when the fluid is hot? The level should be at the top of the hash marks.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I was told you check the fluid while it is in "D"

·
Registered
650 Posts
Thanks Jet. How are you supposed to check the fluid on the dipstick? Do you use the notches or the cross hatch marks?

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
Look at attachment.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Sure you didn't read that on someone's tombstone? J/K :)

Always in Park, on Level Ground; Warmed up is best. As is having the Parking brake on. But absolutely never in Drive.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
I guess to try and prevent people from checking it thus introducing impurities into the system. As long as you use a lint-free rag or a piece of computer paper to wipe it, you'll be fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts