Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before you get too excited I'll tell you up front that this is not a complete Do It Yourself process. It takes some expensive equipment to complete this process. This process is only needed if sensors new to your Titan are put in your wheels. A siimple tire rotation should not require this process.

1. Locate the TPMS interface plug. This is a white female plug that is attached to the OBD II wire loom under the dash right about where your right knee would be when sitting in the driver's seat. You may have to cut the tape that is holding the TPMS interface plug to the OBD II wire loom.
2. Attach the Nissan TPMS Reset Device or stick a paper clip into the interface plug. If you use the paper clip be sure it is small enough to fit in and don't jam it in there hard.
3. Put your key in the ignition and turn it to the last click before the engine starts. This is the KOEO position (Key On, Engine Off).
4a. If you used the Nissan TPMS Reset Device connect the alligator clip end to any exposed ground (metal). Squeeze the trigger on the device 5 or 6 times within 10 seconds.
4b. If you used a paper clip then tap the end of the paper clip (the end NOT in the interface plug, duh!) on any exposed ground (metal) 5 or 6 times. The bracket that holds the OBD II socket is in just the right position.
4. If you completed step 4a/4b then the TPMS warning light located on the lower left corner of the instrument cluster will start to slowly flash and you have activated the TPMS relearn process. If it flashes fast that's not right. Somehow I got mine to flash really fast. If yours isn't flashing slowly then check your connections, turn the key off and start over at step 3.
5. Using a TPMS Sensor Activation Tool start at the driver's front tire. Initiate the tool. Within about 5 seconds the turn signals/four ways will blink to tell you that the onboard computer has recognized the sensor.
6. Redo step 5 at the passenger's front, passenger's rear and finally the driver's rear. I don't think the order really matters but this appears to be the order that everyone uses.

If you have the navigation system then all four TPMS sensor should show up on the Nav screen with a number for the PSI.

I scoured the Internet for true DIY solutions. These sensor cannot be magnetically initiated, it takes a sensor tool to do it. There were some postings I found that said to lower the PSI down below 30 and then drive for a couple miles. One also suggested that you put the PSI over 50 and then drive. I tried both with no success but this might have been due to my TPMS warning light flashing fast.

The sensor tool referenced in step 5 is very common and all tire shops should have one. What they don't have is the Nissan TPMS Reset tool and the instructions listed above. My local Discount Tire had the Nissan TPMS Reset tool but they didn't know how to use it until I showed them how on my third trip to get this taken care of.

Good luck!

·
Registered
335 Posts
What if you had your tires changed?

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As long as the geniuses at the tire shop didn't break one of your TPMS sensors then there is no need to go through the relearn process.

If your tire light comes on soon after you leave the tire place check the valve stems to see if one looks different. If it does then they may have broken one and tried to slide it past you.

·
Registered
335 Posts
As long as the geniuses at the tire shop didn't break one of your TPMS sensors then there is no need to go through the relearn process.

If your tire light comes on soon after you leave the tire place check the valve stems to see if one looks different. If it does then they may have broken one and tried to slide it past you.
Thanks, good info to remember when I change them come spring thaw.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One thing I need to add. I took my stock wheels, tires and sensors off the Titan and stored them away. New tires, wheels and sensors when on the Titan. The sensors were purchased from a CT/TT member. He sent me 5 sensors that he said came off of a Titan. These were from a Titan with a model year before '07. Three of them were one product number and the other two were a different product number. One of them apparently was dead. Unfortunately it was one that was mounted so the tire had to be dismounted and remounted to put the 5th sensor in.

The moral(s) to this story are:
1. Test your sensors BEFORE installing them
2. Mismatched sensors DO work

·
Registered
254 Posts
Great info./how-to. I do a 5-way rotation, balance and alignment every 3,000 miles so the sensors need to be re-flashed. I might try the paper clip method.....how did you figure that one out?
Still would like to know how to get to the battery or test it.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As long as these are the same 4 sensors there should be no need to perform the relearn process. For example, if you buy new wheels and tires but you swap the OEM sensors into the new wheels nothing has changed as far at the onboard computer is concerned and it should see the old sensors.

I used the paperclip because I'm too cheap and in too much of a hurry to buy my own Nissan TPMS Reset device which is just a switch, a fancy plug and an alligator clip.

·
Registered
254 Posts
As long as these are the same 4 sensors there should be no need to perform the relearn process. For example, if you buy new wheels and tires but you swap the OEM sensors into the new wheels nothing has changed as far at the onboard computer is concerned and it should see the old sensors.

I used the paperclip because I'm too cheap and in too much of a hurry to buy my own Nissan TPMS Reset device which is just a switch, a fancy plug and an alligator clip.
I have 5 sensors since I do the 5-way rotation.
When the NISSAN tec. has flashed them in the past he uses a portable tool without any plug or alligator clip.

The majority of today's sensors can be activated by sending a 125 kHz LF signal (either continuous wave or modulated). This signal forces the sensor to transmit a coded message at either 315 MHz or 433.92 MHz. The proper tool will decode that message and provide the CORRECT FEEDBACK to the technician. The proper tool will have in it all the necessary protocols to be effective on all of these types of sensors.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have 5 sensors since I do the 5-way rotation.
When the NISSAN tec. has flashed them in the past he uses a portable tool without any plug or alligator clip.
As far as I know the computer can only see four sensors. The guys at Discount Tire tried to initiate the relearn process by holding the sensor activation tool against the sensors without first initiating the relearn process from the TMPS interface plug. It didn't work. Maybe the dealership has a more sophisticated handheld unit?

·
Registered
254 Posts
As far as I know the computer can only see four sensors. The guys at Discount Tire tried to initiate the relearn process by holding the sensor activation tool against the sensors without first initiating the relearn process from the TMPS interface plug. It didn't work. Maybe the dealership has a more sophisticated handheld unit?
That's why they have to reflash the 4 on the ground at rotation time in my situation.
Yep the dealer does have an easier one to use.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Question regarding TPMS

So I got a set of 20" Armada Tires with their TPMS in them.

Of course my light came on.

I do plan on switching back and forth from the street tires to the off road ones for the beach and snow.

Should I get the tools to complete this process myself?

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Based upon a search that I did a few months back you would need to spend at least $400 for the tire sensor tool plus the Nissan specific TPMS reset tool. The way this economy is going I can't justify spending that kind of money just to reset the TPMS when Walmart says they'll do it for $20.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Geat info, will need to remember this when putting new tires on.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I finally got around to buying the Nissan TPMS Reset tool referenced in my first post above and then also the sensor activation tool. The reset tool I bought is the exact model I provided a link to. The sensor activation tool I bought came from Tire Rack and it is the ATEC VT10 for $105.

I used the tools today and figured out that the reset tool connector (male plug) that attaches to the TPMS interface plug by the OBD port was incorrectly configured. Fortunately, the male plug can be easily taken apart and rewired. I then followed my instructions and it worked like a charm. On the ATEC VT10 I used the button on the right. Hold it down for about 10 seconds and the truck lights will flash and then you move on to the next tire.

If anyone in the Highlands Ranch, Colorado area needs their TPMS reset let me know.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It might be worth the trip!! Whew!! It seems confusing!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
My TPMS light has been coming on for about a week now and I do not know why. I have aftermarket wheels on it, but thats the way I bought it (used). The sensors have worked before, because my tire was low once and it alerted me. Well now, at start up, it will blink slowly and then after about 1 minute, it will remain on. So every time I start my truck, the light is on. I've checked all my air levels in the tires 3 times in this past week, and they are all the same at 40psi. Any help would be great!

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds like a bad wheel pressure sensor. You could try reprogramming them to verify that. Otherwise you'll have an interesting time figuring out which one is bad.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do you know if this applies to 2004 Titans?
I have the manual and it does not not discuss a separate plug from the OBD II plug.
I also don't see an obvious female plug neare the OBDII connector.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would be surprised if there is a difference between 2004 and the other years. Look to see if the plug is taped on above the OBD port.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts