Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...but I'm thinking of getting a cover for my truck. I'll be gone for awhile and my brother will be taking care of the truck. Unfortunately, it doesnt fit in the garage so it will be outside in the desert elements. Do any of you cover your truck? Any recommendations on a specific brand?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Interested in a good one myself. I live in Oklahoma, so something that may be padded to prevent hail damage would be nice. Mine's just a hair too long to fit in the garage unfortunately

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
http://www.buyautocovers.com/superior-guardr-5l-truck-cover-50.html

I ended up getting this one. I talked to one of the reps over the phone and he assured me it would fit over my brush guard. Apparently there is a 30 day no hassle guarantee. Currently there is $10 off any product and UPS ground shipping is free. I'll post something on here again when I receive it and put it on.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Please take pictures and let me know how it does. I'll be interested as I'm thinking of getting one for mine. I'd like one that covers the wheels too.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Covers can be more dangerous than just leaving the truck out in the open if they aren't good quality.

Good quality means enough grommets to tie it down snug so the wind doesn't make it rub the paint and trim, water resistant and breathable to let any moisture escape.

The only covers that meet the above are custom fit covers with mirror pockets. If you have any outer hardware on the truck a custom fit cover usually won't fit.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I had a bad experience with a water resistant cover. It let water through, but didn't let it out, and the paint literally boiled off the car after setting several months. I am considering buying a cover from California Car Cover Company, probably the Stormweave, as my neighbor is a pain in the _ss with his damned blower and blows his grass cuttings all over and the T is galaxy black.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Covers can be more dangerous than just leaving the truck out in the open if they aren't good quality.

Good quality means enough grommets to tie it down snug so the wind doesn't make it rub the paint and trim, water resistant and breathable to let any moisture escape.

The only covers that meet the above are custom fit covers with mirror pockets. If you have any outer hardware on the truck a custom fit cover usually won't fit.

These were my EXACT worries. I've heard some horror stories before. This cover is "supposed" to be made with all those things. More tie down points, fleece inside, breathable, and water resistant. I'm still hesitant on the whole thing, but as long as the salesman didn't blow a bunch of smoke up my @$$ this cover should meet all my expectations. Otherwise it will be returned and I'll just let it bake outside.

·
Registered
304 Posts
These were my EXACT worries. I've heard some horror stories before. This cover is "supposed" to be made with all those things. More tie down points, fleece inside, breathable, and water resistant. I'm still hesitant on the whole thing, but as long as the salesman didn't blow a bunch of smoke up my @$$ this cover should meet all my expectations. Otherwise it will be returned and I'll just let it bake outside.
Like I said, please if you can, give me a good write-up with pictures. If you can, that would be AWESOME!

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will do Scotty. It was shipped yesterday so I'll let you know once I get it on.

·
Registered
317 Posts
i used to cover my old T just because of the CA sun...i have a garage now though. i drove the truck daily so i didnt have to worry about long term effects. i was always really careful and had a system putting it on so i didnt scratch the paint. stopped after a while because taking the cover on and off really wore them out...and they are not cheap.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
as my neighbor is a pain in the _ss with his damned blower and blows his grass cuttings all over and the T is galaxy black.
This clown would find huge piles of dogchit in his car until he got the gist of it.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I would be hesitant with any cover myself, I say put a good coat of wax on it and get one of those things to put in the windshield to keep the sun off the interior.

·
Registered
1 Posts
nice, friendly up !!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Covers can cause more damage than they're worth. If it gets windy, the cover will flap against the thin factory paint and rub through the clearcoat. The glass can get scratched as well. Within literally minutes after you wash it, dirt will find its way under the cover if you keep it outside. It's just not worth the risk IMO.

Unless your Titan is parked under a tree, where birds like to congregate, or in a heavily polluted industrial area, I don't think you need a cover. I never covered mine and it looks just as shiny as the day I bought it. Of course, I keep it up. The key is to wash it at least every week with a good quality car wash and coat the plastic and rubber trim items after every wash with a good quality rubber protectant.

If you can find that white plastic sticky paper that the automobile factories use to protect the paint on their vehicles during transit, that might be a good idea. Anyone know where to get that stuff?

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
miketan, that usually is how I keep mine looking good. But with being almost 8,000 miles from home its hard to have or even ask (or trust) my younger brother to complete these tasks for me. The cover seemed like the best way to go. From what my bro has told me is that the interior is very soft, like a microfleece (main reason I bought it) and it is also very snug. I wholeheartedly agree with you, but this seemed like my best option for the time being. Hey Duff, here are some pics. There is a lock that comes with it, I am still waiting for my brother to send me pics of that. Hope this helps. Oh, and they also make a cover that fits over your mirrors too. Apparently I didnt get that one. Haha.

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
If you can find that white plastic sticky paper that the automobile factories use to protect the paint on their vehicles during transit, that might be a good idea. Anyone know where to get that stuff?
Sounds like a good idea but like any other sticker its a pain to get off if left on awhile. We had a surplus of Maximas in 07 that had been sitting for a few months behind the plant and I picked it up on discount. I didn't think I would ever get the little pieces off.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here is the lock that holds it all down and keeps it secure. And it has its own little fleece pocket it slips into to keep from scratching the paint. From what my brother has been telling me about it, I'm pretty happy with it so far.

And I agree with Tytan, I used to work at a dealership and taking that white sticky paper off after a few months is a real pain. I wish there was a better way (I really wish I could garage it) but the cover seems to be the best way to go as of now.

Attachments

·
Registered
304 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Well the search continues. Too bad because I think I would have liked this cover.

"Hi Scott,

Well, I checked with the design department and, unfortunately, the custom cover will not fit with the big tow mirrors. I am very sorry. I will send you a refund and cancel your order for you.

These covers are custom designed but we do only have a selected number of custom patterns. Sorry about that.

Rony Dargham
Automotive Style"

1 - 20 of 20 Posts