Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
long story short wife was driving the armada on the highway and it died, she restarted it, drove for another 5 miles or so and the engine started smoking. We had it towed off the highway and there was no engine coolant in it. turns out there is a coolant leak. We ended up putting about 3-4 gallons of water in the mada and let it cool down for an hour but it would not start up at all.

there is a local midas that was down the street and the manager came out(had the oil changed there last week) and he said the heads were most like messed up. He opened the oil cap and said there is water/moisture in there and that I would most likely need new heads or have to have them redone?

I called the dealership and they said around 3 grand for milling the heads if thats what is wrong, they don't really know until they open it up. So I need some advice as to what to do next. here are my choices...

1. buy a used engine(ebay) $2600

2. midas said around 4g to replace the heads. $800 for an engine swap.

3. Does anyone know of after market heads i can buy or how much for the heads or install. Can I put a cam in as well right now, will it be cheaper than buying a used engine plus install.

4. Anyone know of any local shops in So Cal that can handle this type of work that isn't as high as stealerships..

5. I really don't know where to look or which route to go as I just recently moved to So Cal. If there are any local members that can help me out please let me know on here on via pm.

Thanks.
Guch.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Are there any codes?

Running a motor that hot with mixed oil/coolant is very bad. You should probably just do a motor swap. You can defiently find a cheaper motor then 2600 thou. Keep checking ebay, CL, junkyards and you will find a deal.

Just one thing to remember, these motors are not like the old school chevy motors. You have a DOHC motor which means you have 4 cams, not just 1 and a crap ton of electronics.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts