Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008.5 Titan SE with only 9000 miles. This past week, while driving the brake light and slip lights came on and I heard a screeching noise coming from the rear left.

I took my Titan to the dealer, assuming that any problem with so few miles (and within warranty) would be covered.

I was told that all four sets of pads and rotors needed to be replaced due to me not driving the Titan enough. They said that rust built up on the rotors and caused excessive wear to the pads. The told me that the front pads were only 1/32 and the rear 4/32. They said it would not be covered under warranty due to the truck being more than 1 yr old (evidnetly they would have fixed it if truck was less than 1 yr old and less than 12000 miles). They quoted me $850 for the repair.

I contacted a friend who wanted to look at the truck before getting the work done. When I called to say i'd be picking it up, they said that the truck was unsafe to drive and wanted me to leave it there. They said that if I got a better quote, they would match it but for my safety they wanted it to stay with them. This sounded odd so I picked up the truck 15 min later (they were surprised to see me). I had absolutely no problem braking on my 10 min return home.

My friend (a young guy who is extremely good about working on vehicles) stopped over and pulled off the front left wheel. The inner pad was 1/32 and the outer pad looked new. The inner pad was so tight that he had to beat it out. The rotors did show some wear and pitting but he felt it wasn't excessive and felt that maybe new pads would be sufficient. He thought that the whole problem was likely due to the initial installation of the brake pads where the pads were not filed down so they could move easily. The pad was not covered with rust. To get it back in, we needed to file off about 1/32 from the two tabs.

When I talked to the dealer, they refused to consider this a manuf defect and said the tight rotor was due to me not driving it and rust building up. They said that since my truck is greater than 1 yr old nothing would be done.

This doesn't sound right to me. Previously I had a 97 Ford F150 that I also drove only in evenings and weekends. I never had a corrosion problem with the Ford. The Nissan dealer said maybe Ford uses more corrosion resistant steel but it didn't matter and they would not help me with this.

Am I wasting my time trying to pursue getting Nissan to take care of this?

Is this a typical problem for Titans that are driven only a little (sometimes only once per week)? If so, how can I avoid having this problem again?

If I replace the brakes and rotor myself (with some help!), is there a particular manuf/model of replacement parts that is recommended?

thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
I run into the same thing with mine, the inside pad seems to wear twice as fast as the outer. I highly doubt you are going to get anysatisfaction from Nissan on this, kinda fix it and carry on thing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone else?

BiXLL - did this continue to happen? When you installed new brakes, did you grind down the tabs to make sure that the pad could release easily?

Talking to several independent mechanics, i'm being told that the inner pad wearing much faster than the outer is usually due to a poor installation where the tabs are not ground down.

All I know is that I never had this problem with my old F150. But, I certainly had other problems!

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
I did not grind down the tabs, never thought of it. I know this has been discussed on here before so far as the inner pads wearing much faster then the outer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts