Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm in need of some serious help. My truck is dead in the water, so to speak. I recently installed the OEM fog kit for my 06 SE CC. It was prewired and should have been plug and play with the new stalk. I plugged, it didn't play.

Tonight I decided that my fog lamp relay might be bad b/c the fog light fuse (20a) was not getting any power. No light on the test light. I pulled the IPDM and decided to switch my fog light relay and the ignition relay. I heard a few clicks (maybe 2) when I reconnected the battery. I disconnected the battery b/c I thought I was going to have to unplug everything. Either way, the truck will not start now.

I moved around several relays at the top of the IPDM with no success. I went through the procedure to reset the immobilizer in the manual. No success. Lights in the dash and ceiling all work. Truck makes no sound when key is turned to start.

HELP? I don't want to take this to the dealer but it ran before I startd messing with relays. I need a suggestion to get her running again.

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
ok, one of three things happened. you fried the ignition relay, you fried the IPDM, or what happened in my case fried a certain fuse. this fuse is long, green housing with a clear top so you can see the fuse. it should be either in the fuse box up there or the IPDM box. don't remember. its pretty distinct. about 1" and a half long. i messed up when i was wiring my leds and fried it. my interior lights worked. but not my radio. something to check. dealer covered my *** on that one. either way, you may be calling a flatbed. did you put the fog light relay into the ignition relay and try it? that's a trick on this site to get you going til you can get to the dealer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still no start

Hey sirdukedh.

Thanks for the reply. I went out this morning to check a few things and I have no way of knowing if I fried the long green fuse. I think that fuse works my power windows and they work just fine, telling me the fuse is probably good. I've literally got power everywhere else. This morning I also switched some of the top relays around and still nothing.

I thought about something last night as I tried to not freak out a bit. All of the fuses seem to have power as tested with my test light. When I switch relays around, I still have no start. Two questions: Would the fuses have power if the IPDM was fried? If I was just dealing with a relay issue, putting another relay in should have solved it, but it didn't. What else could it be?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New Update

Just went and visually checked my fusible links and the large combination fuses under the hood. Everything looks fine. I really don't want to take this to the stealership! Help?

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
I thought the same thing when i looked under the hood. every thing looked fine. i looked pass that fuse multiple times because it looked good. did you take it out and check? it is starting to sound like the module got cooked somehow. this is the first case of this i heard of on here. is the T not under warranty? if not, what year is it? you may be able to sneak in with the IPDM recall excuse. first thing i would do is put every thing back as if you did nothing to the truck. because you may need to hit the stealership. unless someone else on here can help you. i'm sure someone else on here has had this problem before. chime in gurrus!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Module Cook

Unfortunately, getting in the stealership without them knowing about this issue is moot. I called to ask another question about my truck not starting and ended up talking about this problem. So if they are smart, they know I've been tweaking. The T has 107,000 miles on it and is out of warranty.

Tell me this. If the module wasn't fried from the original set-up with the fog lamp relay in place, why would it fry when I put the ignition relay in its place? From my limited knowledge, it seems like whatever going on with the fogs should have just fried my relay rather than the board. Seem logical?

...and if I fried the board, wouldn't a whole lot of stuff not be working?

I'm buying a multimeter tonight and I'm going to go through the relays and check all of them. We're going to find out if they are good.

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
i believe the fog light relay is somewhat different from the relay. there are threads on here about that, i just can't place them off the top of my head. like i said, this is the first i've heard of this. usually, when the ignition relay goes bad, you would just swap out the fog light relay as an temporary fix till you get to a dealer or replacement IPDM. i know you can buy a replacement module here.
http://www.courtesyparts.com/titan-parts-a60-2004-2011-c-1244.html

its a reliable site and cheaper than the dealer the fix takes five minutes to do with no special tools.

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
to answer your question, by placing the ignition relay in the fog slot, more amps or whatever got though the system and blew a fusable link somewhere, so now, your problem may be somewhere else. this is my theory, but i'm not expert on titans electrical system. i believe the relays are the same amps. but i KNOW the fog relay is different from the ignition somehow. just forgot what it was. do some research about those relays on here. you'll find answers.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i believe the fog light relay is somewhat different from the relay. there are threads on here about that, i just can't place them off the top of my head. like i said, this is the first i've heard of this. usually, when the ignition relay goes bad, you would just swap out the fog light relay as an temporary fix till you get to a dealer or replacement IPDM. i know you can buy a replacement module here.
http://www.courtesyparts.com/titan-parts-a60-2004-2011-c-1244.html

its a reliable site and cheaper than the dealer the fix takes five minutes to do with no special tools.
he11 yes they are reliable, but it is a dealershp parts dept. in Dallas. Rockin' guys that will help all they can.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Succomb to towing

Thought I would send another update. I broke down and I'm having the truck towed to a shop, supposedly a good one. This is my one move before sending her to the stealership. I'll update you all on the outcome. I'm hoping its as simple as a fusible link blown and it won't cost me an arm and a leg and my sanity.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Did you check all of your pluges that plug into your IPDM, I recently had to replace my IPDM and when I switched mine out with the new one, I failed to plug in the ignition wire plug at the bottom right side of the IPDM. So I had power to everything else, but nothing when I would turn the key! The ignition plug is hard to see because its in the bottom corner. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Have you tried jumping the truck? I thought I did something to my IDPM when I after I installed my Sat radio and truck would not crank over, but I hooked it up to my charger and jumped it and it started right up, battery was just on its way out.

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
subscribing, I want to know the outcome!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
IPDM Countdown

Did you check all of your pluges that plug into your IPDM, I recently had to replace my IPDM and when I switched mine out with the new one, I failed to plug in the ignition wire plug at the bottom right side of the IPDM. So I had power to everything else, but nothing when I would turn the key! The ignition plug is hard to see because its in the bottom corner. Hope this helps!
Great suggestion. I dropped by the shop last night that I had the truck towed to. Luckily she was parked outside (still won't start). They were closed on Saturday so I really hope to hear something today. I raised the hood and looked at all the plugs on the IPDM. Everything is plugged in and looks secure. I thought maybe you had the answer, but the saga continues.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Truck Jump

Have you tried jumping the truck? I thought I did something to my IDPM when I after I installed my Sat radio and truck would not crank over, but I hooked it up to my charger and jumped it and it started right up, battery was just on its way out.
I also thought the same thing. I tried to jump the battery and got nothing before the tow came. He also thought it was the battery and tried to jump and got nothing. I'll get back to you all when the secret is revealed from the shop guys.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Heard from the shop yesterday. They think my starter went out in the process of me messing with all this IPDM stuff. I bought a remanufactured starter and took it to them this morning. Just waiting on the upper intake gasket to come in. I am questioning whether or not this fix is going to work, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. If all goes well, should have the truck out by tonight.

Side note: tomorrow, I'll be installing chrome molding accents, the newly painted bumper cap, and front window tint. I'll also hopefully be getting the seat repaired and all seats and carpet shampooed tomorrow. After that, with time, I will be using a compound, clay bar, sealant process to bring back some shine. :)

I love this truck, especially when it runs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I finally got my truck back and running. Turns out it was the starter and that I didn't do anything to the IPDM. I'm pretty happy with the outcome but not so happy with the $540 worth of charges.

In other news, I replaced my PS bumper cap today after picking it up freshly painted from the body shop. Now I'm just waiting on my PS bumper filler and my line-x'ed ATS fender flares. Looking forward to posting pics of the truck after she's done!

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
the starter huh? that's a new one.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What can I say, call me lucky. Glad this problem is over with. I drove the truck last night and heard the new starter...sounds completely different. If I would have known the truck better, maybe I would have seen this coming.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts