Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there a way that you can put bigger rims and tires on your titan and then have the speedometer adjusted to the new tires, so that you dont have the misreading speedometer?

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
I just looked in the service manual and can't really find an answer to your question. I would guess it could be done with a Consult II unit that Nissan uses because the speed signal comes from the ABS actuator and the ECU.

Call your local dealer and see if it's possible, unless of course someone else here can help you more.

·
Registered
76 Posts
How much bigger are you talking??? I just put 22" rims on mine, and my GPS in my Pioneer deck, and the speedometer still match.

Attachments

G

·
It's the overall diameter of the wheel and tire that counts, not the wheel diameter. With the low profile tires on your 22" wheels the overall diameter is probably about the same as the stock setup; therefore no change in the speedo reading.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Right I know that, that is why I was asking how much bigger was he talking, or was he just asking about a different rim size to go with. And you are right, the stock and the new ones are exactly the same size, I planned it that way so there wouldn't be any difference.

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
If my understanding is correct a larger rim with lower profile tire is a bit harsher because of less side-wall. Less side-wall = less cushion. But less side-wall on bigger rim also gives better cornering because the shorter side-wall no longer flexes in turns. It sticks it to the pavement better. I may be wrong but thats how I understand it.
M4ck

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was thinking it was going to be a harsh ride also, but to my surprise the ride is just like stock. I actually have less road noise with these tires. They do corner a lot better though.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
i would think that the ecu can re-adjust considering the titan can come with different size tires from factory. i know the off road titans have 33" tires and i bevieve the stock 245/75R17 on the XE is a 31.5" tire. does it adjust for the 1.5" difference or are the 2 trucks speedos off?
now my buddy has a 99 chevy diesel with some 37's on it and my gps says his trucks speedo is right on. rollin stock is a 32" tire and he had it clocked before by his dads gps and it was right on then to. he has no chip to change tire size either. we are assuming the truck re-adjusted for him.
a guy that i work with on the other hand has a 99 ford power stroke with some 40" kevelar mudders, and his speedo is way off, not even in the ball park.

G

·
I recall seeing a programmer that will let you reset the speedo to correct for different size tires. (Plus it would do much more) I don't remember where I saw it; it was somewhere on the internet. If I recall correctly the cost was about $500.00.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well i want some 22's but i dunno what size tires to get n such, but i dont have fender extendes or whatever, and i want the rim and wheel combo to fill in the wheel well so that it looks real good. but i imagine with 22's and maybe a lil drop it should look nice, what size and brand of tire should i get?... when i get the rims!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Speedo

If im not mistakin that any minor mod or changing of wheels, the computer(ecu)will re-adjust itself after a few miles.I put 20's on mine with nitrogen for air in the wheels and it took the computer a few miles to knock the sensor light off the dash.

G

·
Since this thread has been brought back to life I will answer the original question - The speedometer can not be adjusted to different tire diameters. Even the dealer can't do it.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
you'll want a 305/45/22 tire to be close to factory diameter. 22x9 would be a good with. Anymore and you'll stick out a little bit.

here's a few pics of my old wheels and current wheels before my lift. I had a custom grinded prg leveling kit up front.

shift said:
well i want some 22's but i dunno what size tires to get n such, but i dont have fender extendes or whatever, and i want the rim and wheel combo to fill in the wheel well so that it looks real good. but i imagine with 22's and maybe a lil drop it should look nice, what size and brand of tire should i get?... when i get the rims!

·
Registered
421 Posts
what kind of rims and tires are the second pics I think that looks really good on it.

Hydro

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
foose spank 6

Hydro said:
what kind of rims and tires are the second pics I think that looks really good on it.

Hydro

1 - 16 of 16 Posts