Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, Christmas Day, We're at a relative's home doing the Santa Ho-Ho thing. We get into the truck to leave and the ignition key would not turn. It was as if I had someone else's key in the ignition. I tried removing, rotating the key, jiggling the column shifter,standing on one foot, opening and closing doors, cussung and it still would not rotate. I finally borrowed a wrench, removed the ground cable to the battery. After about ten seconds I replaced the ground cable on to the battery terminal and tightened it. I then tried the key and after three or four attempts the key rotated and the truck started right up. For the life of me I can't figure what happened. Unless it was the anti-theft system kicking in for what ever reason. Of course my owner's manual was at home so I didn't have anything to aid me in trouble shooting the problem. I did some reading today and I did have the valet key and the main ign. key on the same key ring. Maby the transponders were fighting against each other and causing a glitch in the system. I don't know, just guessing. Anyone else experiencing the same glitch? 8O

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Haven't had that one happen yet Planemech. Of course w/ the 'XE' that valet key means nadda to me (no console locks) and I don't carry it with me.

The only time it wouldn't start is the first time I showed the truck to my wife. The park position indicator wasn't on and she put it in neutral, then started it. :oops:

Chief

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ignition key won't rotate

Thanks for the reply Chief. I also had another interesting thing happpen. As all this was going on it was raining and very cold. As I was fooling around with the key fob I held the "unlock" button down for a few seconds and "both driver and passenger" windows start to open. I released the button and they stoped. Now I have the windows half open, it's raining and I can't rotate the key to start the truck nor to a key position to power the windows closed. Now I'm really peeved.
I just returned from trying this again and sure enough, hold the "unlock" button down for about 4 seconds and both windows open as long as I hold the button down. Now if a few of you would be so kind and try this on your truck, let me know if your truck does the same thing. I can't find anything in the "Owners Manual" that describes this. If enough folks experence the same thing mabe we need to contact the factory. Will be anxious to hear what happens to your trucks. Thanks....

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks m4ck, I didn't see it in the manual so I figured it was something new to be discussed. Now if I can just get an answer as to why the key wouldn't rotate. Thanks again

·
Registered
1,513 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
that TSB is only good for weather that is 10 degrees or lower. in florida with it raining I'll guess that its not that TSB

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
check out the TSB on the 3rd page of that web site that has to do with the NATS system which has to do with the chip in the key and the transponder not picking up the signal which will not let you start the truck. it is TSB 03031

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

After reading the TSB's ,It's one thing to not let the engine start, it's another thing to not let the key rotate. We'll see if it happens again. And if it does happen again I'll remember to NOT hold the "unlock button" down for more than 4 seconds. Thanks for directing me to the TSB site. Good reading..
Hope everyone has a safe New Year..

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Yeah, the automatic window down, I almost forgot about that with these freezing temps. That sure is gonna be nice once once summer comes.

You musta been spittin' nails when that happened!!! I've set the alarm off with me in the truck once or twice (It only attracts the Hottest of women so be prepared!!!)

Well hopefully it'll never happen again or you will pin it down soon. The odds are in your favor!!!

Good Luck,

Chief

·
Registered
117 Posts
Sounds to me like the steering wheel lock. That is the only thing that would cause the key not to turn. All the anti theft features will just not let the engine start. If it happens again try turning the wheel as you turn the key. When it happens on mine (sometimes I hit the wheel with my knee when I get in or out) The wheel only moves a hair either direction but one way or the other will let the key turn.
If the wheel turned with the key inserted but the key still did not turn then I am off base on this one. 8)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

just_chris said:
Sounds to me like the steering wheel lock. That is the only thing that would cause the key not to turn. All the anti theft features will just not let the engine start. If it happens again try turning the wheel as you turn the key. When it happens on mine (sometimes I hit the wheel with my knee when I get in or out) The wheel only moves a hair either direction but one way or the other will let the key turn.
If the wheel turned with the key inserted but the key still did not turn then I am off base on this one. 8)
Chris, I tried rotating the wheel both ways while trying to rotate the key, no joy. I tried jiggling the shifter lever, no joy. The wheels were straight, not hard over. A real head-scratcher.. I removed the valet key from the key ring. I have an XE so I don't have the locking glove box so it doesn't matter much which key I use. And I did try both keys. So far no more problems. I know I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm reluctant to let my wife drive the truck with the possibility of it happening again. I am going by a dealer today to at least register the gripe into the data base. I also need to schedule a front-end check, drifts to the right a bit more than I like. Other than that, no gripes. Thanks for the sugestions and reply.

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
I don't know if this has anything to do with your problem but the other day I pulled into a parking lot and stopped with the front wheels pushed against a concrete pylon. Well after putting it in park letting off the brakes and turning it off it kinda pushed up against the pylon a little more. I didn't think anything of it. When I came back out of the store and tried to start it it wouldn't turn. Turning the wheel wasn't happening I guess because both tires were up against the pylon. I managed to pop it in to neutral and the truck lurched back then put in park and it would then turn. Maybe something like that was going on with yours.
M4ck

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ignition Key Won't Turn

m4ck said:
I don't know if this has anything to do with your problem but the other day I pulled into a parking lot and stopped with the front wheels pushed against a concrete pylon. Well after putting it in park letting off the brakes and turning it off it kinda pushed up against the pylon a little more. I didn't think anything of it. When I came back out of the store and tried to start it it wouldn't turn. Turning the wheel wasn't happening I guess because both tires were up against the pylon. I managed to pop it in to neutral and the truck lurched back then put in park and it would then turn. Maybe something like that was going on with yours.
M4ck
I tried to move my shifter also but it wouldn't budge without power. And I was sitting in a driveway away from everything. How did you manage to "pop" the shifter into neutral without power to "unlock" the shifter? I mean I put the key in, wouldn't turn, so I had no power to anything. As if I had someone elses key. It's just a real head-scratcher that may or not come back to bite me. I'll just have to wait and see. Thanks for the reply, M4ck

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
m4ck,

That will happen on mine if I don't let it roll into place after putting it in park. If the 'P' isn't highlited before I shut it off, it won't turn over when you try to start it, until either it rolls into place (driveline has a load on it) or it's put into neutral.

Chief

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
m4ck said:
M4ck
M4ck,

You had mentioned in the above thread that you was able to "pop" the shifter into neutral. You are probable aware of the Nissan Recall Notice. I read it on Nissanhelp.com web site. It talks about being able to move the shifter out of park with out the key. It is: Campain I.D.# NHTSA # RU403/04V-408 The recall is a total replacement of the shifter assembly. The date of the recall notice was: Sept. 22,04. Hope this is of some help if not for you mabe someone else that is not aware of the recall.
Is there a direct link at this site to all the recalls for the Titan without having to go to too many web sites to find the info. Would be nice to just click a icon and presto.. your there!
I have learned so much from all the info on this site. Thanks to all..

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
planemech said:
m4ck said:
M4ck
M4ck,

You had mentioned in the above thread that you was able to "pop" the shifter into neutral. You are probable aware of the Nissan Recall Notice. I read it on Nissanhelp.com web site. It talks about being able to move the shifter out of park with out the key. It is: Campain I.D.# NHTSA # RU403/04V-408 The recall is a total replacement of the shifter assembly. The date of the recall notice was: Sept. 22,04. Hope this is of some help if not for you mabe someone else that is not aware of the recall.
Is there a direct link at this site to all the recalls for the Titan without having to go to too many web sites to find the info. Would be nice to just click a icon and presto.. your there!
I have learned so much from all the info on this site. Thanks to all..
Well I just knew if I spent just a few more minutes looking I'd find the link to the recall lists. Kindly forget my above statement concerning a link to the recalls. The old saying still pertains to me.." If it had teeth it would have bit me" I'm still learning how to get around here.....

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
Guess you found our Web Links section then.
hehe
M4ck

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
m4ck said:
Guess you found our Web Links section then.
hehe
M4ck
Yes... It seems I have the ability to insert both my size 12's into my mouth with out gaging... Next time I will activate brain before putting mouth in motion!

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
LOL if I hadn't set up the site I probably wouldn't know where to look either. LOL
M4ck

1 - 20 of 20 Posts