Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had mentioned something about this a while back but was curious what some of the titan gurus perspective was on the subject. Infiniti has the new FX50 with the VK50VE with [email protected],500rpm and 369ft [email protected],400rpm. It is a VVEL motor(and I hope that doesnt shoot down all hope for this), but I was wondering if anyone thinks its possible to swap the intake manifold/heads/etc... I know this question is a shot in the dark at this point, but that car sounds like it makes some good top end, especially for only being a 5 liter engine. If we could do a head swap or IM swap from that I think it would turn our motors into monsters. The one thing everyone has tried to do with this truck is create top end with very little success. Even members like Toomnymods, who is now running 12s with his IPT tranny is only trapping in the high 90s to low 100s... cams is about the closest we can get to any top end and still...most of our power, that creates good runs, is based off our ability to launch the truck and get good 60' times. So if we could find a way to swap in a set of heads and even a much shorter IM, that might finally be our ticket to some serious top end power.

I love the torque our trucks have, but I must say, it really sucks to be on the highway and downshift to take off and get your doors blown off. I really want to find a way to get some good top end on this truck. So, we need to all put our collective ClubTitan heads together....use all our available resources, and figure this out.

·
Registered
350 Posts
doesnt sound like a bad idea..... im am not a titan guru by any means, but im sure they'll chime in.

·
CTs Little Chihuahua
5,285 Posts
dont sound like a bad idea at all. now the thing is how much will the parts be since its a new engine setup.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im sure they will be expensive...but so are $1200 cams... so if Im gonna shell out alot of money anyways, hopefully it will at least give me some REAL topend.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
well for the heads i think we would run into a problem with the way the dohc cams are setup on both motors the gears would more than likey be different and the cover plates not to mention the front cover to our motor not fitting because of the different heads but on the outher hand. the intake might be good just depends on the heads and the bolt alingment. we wont know until we see more of the motors and get some pics of the heads as well as the intake but its a very interesting idea.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I figured it wouldnt be as easy as swapping LS parts from a chevy, but I am at the point where the only real mod left to do is the cams and before I jump in on that I want to exhaust every other option, within reason (money)...

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
not to mention the price of the new vk motor is insane but then again again its nissan. you would be surprised what cams and the 07 intake will do for these trucks just have to find other mods to complement the new lungs of the truck.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well most of the guys Ive seen can't even tell what the 07 intake has or hasnt done, much less get their AF ratios consistent. And as for the cams, I agree they are well proven. Most guys jump from low low 14s to high 13s, but for $1200, oh and like most of the cam Titans I know...I dont have friends to just come install them for free, I dont wanna pay some rediculous amount of money to have them installed... So I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. The worst part is, people whove done these mods run a 13.7 one day and a 14.2 the next...

·
3,813 Posts
The heads may bump up the compression because of the smaller Liter engine should have smaller combustion chambers, but they may not be a direct bolt on. Now the Intake Manifold may be target piece to try, it should have shorter/smaller runners because of the 5.0L does not need the larger runners of the 5.6L. If the 390HP is made in the upper rev range, 4500-6000, it may be a push with the runner size. If they price them like the Titan intake it should not cost to much to try one out.

Do you have any pics. of this new 5.0 liter monster?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
well the funny thing about these truck is the weather has a huge roll to play with the trucks preformance along with their times at the track. the best gains are cams and the 07 intake paired together. the intake alone unless ur a ffv wont help and will cause a tuning headache unless you have a way to take in more air which is the cams. the install is not hard just very time consuming and you need to have small hands to get the tensoners out that takes alot of time and many course words or at least i did. if you want to tackle the insall yourself be sure to print the service manual and read everything before you start it will give alot of insite on how the take a cam out and install the other one. the main thing is the cams have to be set the exact same or all hell will break loose.

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
i dont know much aboutmotor interiors, but i love you guys brainstorming....i like to see what works and use it.....like you said 04, the torque is awesomeand insane in these trucks....but over 65-70 SUCKS, and we need top end help...i saw the commercial for that vehicle and couldnt believe the HP numbers on it

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
what we need to figure out is how they got 700 hp out of the corr truck that motor is insane and they said its the stock block, rods and crank still dont know about the heads or pistons and they used a itb for the intake.

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
we cant contact them and ask them??

·
3,813 Posts
You said it right, Stock but Blueprinted Block, Crank & Rods, every thing else is custom. Custom Pistons, Rings, Valvetrain, The heads are hogged out, Monster Cam, Stand alone ECU,..........

Oh, i need to add Maga $$$$$$$$.

·
3,813 Posts
DF6_Titan said:
Wounder what it would cost to build that if someone had a fried motor hmmmm i would love to have 700 hp on tap.
Your looking easily at the 5 figure number to get them to build you one.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would love, but dont need 700hp... I would just like the top end pulling power!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts