Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a K&N drop in today at Pep Boys and installed it in the parking lot!! LOL The funny thing was, it was cheaper than the Air Hog..?

I noticed a little diff on the way home.
I also pulled out the air box tonight and hacked it up with the Dremel tool. Man that damn washer fluid reservoir is a Big Pain In The A$$!! Haven't drove it yet but I'll report back.

Has anyone considered gutting the cats? (I know its illegal but they don't check us here)

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
Havent heard of anyone gutting the cats but know several that have put straight pipes in. They say there is a noticeable increase in power.
M4ck

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
TitanFan04 said:
Bought a K&N drop in today at Pep Boys and installed it in the parking lot!! LOL The funny thing was, it was cheaper than the Air Hog..?
I'm in the process of doing some airflow tests between the KN, Air Hog and stock Nissan filters. So far I've tested each at WOT and recorded pressure drop at 6K RPM while driving the same highway stretch. I also did unloaded, incremental testing of each filter at 3K, 4K, and 5K with tranny in Park. So far, the Fram Air Hog flows with the least restriction, followed by KN, then Nissan paper oem.

I still need to do further tests to put velocity/cfm numbers to the test. Will do a similar test with the Volant, when it arrives and post all results.

The Air Hog is more expensive than the KN, but it does flow a bit more....probably due to a deeper element.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I swithced to a K&N drop in filter a long time ago and could not notice any performance gain, although there was a slightly different sound tone from under the hood. There was also no change in mpg. I have been thinking of putting in the stock paper filter to see if there would be any noticeable difference with the recent exhaust mod I did. I would expect only a dyno could show any difference.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
TitanFan04 said:

I noticed a little diff on the way home.
I also pulled out the air box tonight and hacked it up with the Dremel tool. Man that damn washer fluid reservoir is a Big Pain In The A$$!! Haven't drove it yet but I'll report back.

Has anyone considered gutting the cats? (I know its illegal but they don't check us here)
I hate to tell you this but you don't have to remove the washer fluid reservoir. The stock airbox is designed to be lifted off the 2 bolts that hold it down, those are just grommets.....Hopefully this will help you next time you decide to remove the airbox or want to do some more modding.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I also have the K&N drop in for my truck. For the wifes G35 I bought the Air hog. I have to say its a better filter the pleats are deeper the cotton is thicker. You cannot see through it like the K&N. Even the rubber boot that seals the filter is thicker and a softer material. I think you will be hearing more about the Air Hog filter.By the way I got my K&N on Ebay for $20.00 its in excellent shape.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Keep us up to speed on this one!!!

Gregg

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
ModlessG said:
I also have the K&N drop in for my truck. For the wifes G35 I bought the Air hog. I have to say its a better filter the pleats are deeper the cotton is thicker. You cannot see through it like the K&N. Even the rubber boot that seals the filter is thicker and a softer material. I think you will be hearing more about the Air Hog filter.By the way I got my K&N on Ebay for $20.00 its in excellent shape.
I agree about the Air Hog. The quality seems a little better than the KN, and as I noted in my testing, it does flow a bit better......not a lot, but still better.

I'm running the Air Hog now, and I'm gonna do an oil analysis after my next oil change to M1. Then I'll do the same with the KN filter, and again with the Nissan filter to compare filtration abilities of each. I know the Nissan filter will win outright in this dept, but I'm curious if the Air Hog will provide better filtration than the KN.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Damn JetTech, that does blow!! LOL I feel like a complete dumba$$. Wait thats normal! LOL :oops:

By the way when I had the washer fluid reservoir out I noticed there is alot of room in front of it for a cold air pipe to be routed from the grill area behind the head light into the fender well.

What is the correct way to remove it?

Mine also has a third bolt under the front side of the air box next to the washer fluid reservoir.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh by the way.

After installing the drop in it seemed a little more responsive.

After the air box mod it seemes more responsive that just the drop in, and noticeably more than stock.

You can definetly here the intake when you hit the go pedal now!! (SOUNDS GOOD) Kinda like an ald GM car with a quadra jet and the stock air cleaner lid flipped over!LOL :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts