Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I installed the PRG/Gagnon 2.5" Leveling Kit today, I took a bunch of pictures, and I have some tips for those of you looking to tackle the job yourself. Greg's (Greg Gagnon) supplied instructions were great so I just plan to offer some tips to make the job go even smoother for other Shadetree Mechanics like myself. I must say that the look of a leveled truck would have been enough to make me happy with my purchase but there was an added benefit; the truck rides better too! I did the entire installation with common hand tools (nothing exotic and no need for a spring compressor) in about 3.5 hours and I suspect if I hadn't stopped to take pictures, talk with my neighbor, and answer my cell phone 5 times it would have taken me an hour less. Well, without further delay. Here are a few photos of before and after to start us off. Oh, and BTW . . . My wheels and tires are on order and due in Wednesday. I wasn't going to get them this soon but after seeing the fruits of my labor today, I decided to eat light for the next month and order them NOW!

http://prerunners.com/store/store.htm

Attachments

·
SHIFT_I did it the hard way... I earned it.
4,341 Posts
Well done. Very interested to see the new shoes when they go on. Does it affect how the truck sits when you hook up to your trailer? I'd be interested to see that photo, too.

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
TitanHauler I have seen others discuss this but when you look at it in person does the front end appear higher than the rear now. When I look at the last picture you posted thats what I see. The front about a 1/2 to 1 inch higher than the back. If I were to get this leveling kit I would want to bring up the rear at least another 1 inch or so.
whats your takes on the look in person. Maybe pictures are fooling my eyes.
M4ck

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
m4ck said:
TitanHauler I have seen others discuss this but when you look at it in person does the front end appear higher than the rear now. When I look at the last picture you posted thats what I see. The front about a 1/2 to 1 inch higher than the back. If I were to get this leveling kit I would want to bring up the rear at least another 1 inch or so.
whats your takes on the look in person. Maybe pictures are fooling my eyes.
M4ck
I think it is an illusion. I thought at first that the front seemed higher than the rear but today it was on an alignment rack (about the most level surface available) and it appeared about as level as you could get. If I had to say whether it favored the front or rear I would say it favors the front (the front being just a smiggin higher). To me it's not an issue though because I have airbags on order for the rear. I'm kind of glad it favors the front a bit because the bags will level it out both with and without trailer attached. BTW, I got a clean bill of health on the alignment "as-is." Every number was well with in specs and the guy said the two magic words "No Charge". Gotta love that.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, here are some tips for the install.

First thing, jack the truck up from the front and disconnect the sway bar endlinks on both sides of the truck. You shouldn't even have to take the wheels off to do this. Disconnect them from the lower control arm and not from mid link. (See Picture 2 below) It is easiest to install the kit on one side at a time.

Once both sides are disconnected swing the bar down a few inches out of the way. Place a jack stand close to the front mounting point of the lower control arm (on the side you wish to work on first) and lower the jack so the opposite side tire rests back on the ground but the side you wish to work on first is elevated just enough to remove the tire. Make sure where you place the jackstand is part of the frame or solid crossmember and it allows the suspension to hang free. (If you don't have an impact gun, you should loosen the lug nuts before jacking the truck up. (just on the side you will work on first).

From this point the directions Greg provides will get you through the installation relatively easily. The only tool you may not have that you will need is a torque wrench which measures "Pound Feet" of torque. Also, this install is easier with deep sockets most of which will be metric. Many autopart stores will rent a torque wrench fairly cheap.

Also, if you have air tools, an air ratchet is great for disassembly but DO NOT use it while reassembling as the nuts will need to be torqued to specs outlined in the directions. Be cautious of the brake lines and (what I assume) is some sort of sensor wire during disassembly as once the spindle is seperated from the upper control arm these lines can easily be stretched to maximum length if your not careful. Use some zip ties or an old coat hanger to secure it to the frame between disassembly and reassembly.

Other than that, the install is a breeze. Feel free to ask any questions you may have. Below are a few pictures I took during the install. If your on the fence about this mod, I say go for it. The improvement in ride and look is well worth the money.

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Today was the first time I actually drove my truck any distance since installing the PRG/Gagnon Leveling Kit and man what a difference! The pot holes, railroad tracks, and driveways that used to jolt the front end of the truck are barely noticeable now (and fun to take on with a little more speed). I am really impressed with how well the truck rides and handles now. Makes me wonder why Nissan didn't build it this way to begin with. In my opinion, you would be hard pressed to spend mod money any better.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
TitanHauler said:
Today was the first time I actually drove my truck any distance since installing the PRG/Gagnon Leveling Kit and man what a difference! The pot holes, railroad tracks, and driveways that used to jolt the front end of the truck are barely noticeable now (and fun to take on with a little more speed). I am really impressed with how well the truck rides and handles now. Makes me wonder why Nissan didn't build it this way to begin with. In my opinion, you would be hard pressed to spend mod money any better.
I felt the same way! :D Best $199 you can spend on the truck.
Hey, you wouldn't want to hitch up that camper of yours and take a pic with the leveling kit on would you? I'm curious to see how it looks. I would hook up mine but it's buried in the snow for another month or two. :(

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QWIKWHIP said:
TitanHauler said:
Hey, you wouldn't want to hitch up that camper of yours and take a pic with the leveling kit on would you? I'm curious to see how it looks. I would hook up mine but it's buried in the snow for another month or two. :(
I will be pulling it out of storage next Thursday for a trip that weekend. I will be sure and shoot a photo for ya and post it.

·
Banned
1,478 Posts
Hi, is this leveling/lift kit needed for the 4X4 only, or does it also apply to the 4X2?

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
I believe you can use it on either 4x4 or 4x2. Looks good on both.
M4ck

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rdfeatherstone said:
Hi, is this leveling/lift kit needed for the 4X4 only, or does it also apply to the 4X2?
Both 2 and 4 wheel drive King Cab and Crew Cab require the 1.6" spacer (to level the truck) that will give you an effective lift of 2.5" over stock in the front. If you have the Off-Road Package you will require a 1.2" spacer giving you an effective 1.75" - 2.0" lift in the front over stock. Both are designed to level the truck. The Off-Road Package has a stiffer spring in the front so not as much lift is required to level the truck, hence the shorter spacer. My truck is 2WD without the Off-Road Package and can be seen (Before and After) at the beginning of this thread.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
TitanHauler said:
QWIKWHIP said:
TitanHauler said:
I will be pulling it out of storage next Thursday for a trip that weekend. I will be sure and shoot a photo for ya and post it.
Storage?? 8O Now why on earth would you need to store it in southern California? Must be for the rainy season huh? :D LOL. But seriously, I look forward to the pics. Thanks.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QWIKWHIP said:
TitanHauler said:
QWIKWHIP said:
TitanHauler said:
Storage?? 8O Now why on earth would you need to store it in southern California? Must be for the rainy season huh? :D LOL. But seriously, I look forward to the pics. Thanks.
LOL One thing we don't have alot of here in So Cal is space! I can't keep the trailer at my residence (no room) so I store it at a local RV storage yard. Sucks when you realize you forgot something in the trailer at Midnight (No access) but great for security as the Yard has a very high tech security system with over 50 trip beams, one of which shoots right down the side of my trailer about 3 inches away from the side door. If they plan to break in through that door they better be skinny :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Looks awsome! Definately my next mod.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts