Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally bought an exhaust kit for my 04' and after reading through a bazillion posts about different exhausts I ended up choosing the JBA. My factory exhaust was getting rotted out so it was time for a replacement. I was on a fairly tight budget and liked the price of the JBA, I was also considering the Gibson exhaust. It seemed the JBA was fairly universally liked but I was concerned it might be a little loud for daily driving like I had in mind. I decided I would buy the JBA and if it was too loud I would add a resonator to it to tone it down a bit. I have to say I am pretty happy with the fit and quality of the JBA. I installed it myself and the only change I did was to weld the joints except for the muffler. (which I used stainless band clamps) I drove with the exhaust for two weeks and was a little disappointed with the sound. It had a nice idle and a fairly quiet WOT sound but around 1800 to 2000 cruise was way too loud and droning. I just couldn't deal with it in the traffic I was driving. I do love nice V8 exhaust and own a couple of old cars including a 55' chevy and a 66' Buick GS big block both with headers and good exhaust but they are less irritating than my truck in this configuration and I don't commute with those cars. I wanted something with a tiny bit more volume than stock with a better tone. I was also looking to free up a bit of HP. So in the end to quiet my JBA exhaust down, I added a 14" Magnaflow 11229 muffler after the Y, ahead of the JBA muffler for a resonator. The muffler cost $81.00 at Summit. That makes the total cost of the exhaust about $500 for the JBA kit, two band clamps, and the Magnaflow muffler. It sounds much better now. It is a hair quieter at idle, much quieter in the 1800-2000 RPM range and about the same WOT. It hasn't seemed to hurt the power at all and if anything my have picked up a bit of low end. The JBA has a S bend between the Y and the Muffler so I picked a muffler I could go center in and offset out to fit in there. I just grabbed my sawsall and cut out a piece of pipe and slipped the muffler in it's place. I had to cut off the hanger at the Y and reweld it back on after the muffler was installed. I have to say I am happy with the exhaust now. It has a better sound than my stock exhaust, increased performance, and should have better longevity as it is all stainless. For anyone wanting a good stock replacement and don't want loud, this should work for you. Here are some pictures of how it turned out. Hopefully this will help someone else out who is looking for about the same quieter exhaust as me on a budget.
Greg

Attachments

·
Registered
520 Posts
nice write up, thanks for taking the time. I like that Idea

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
All you had to do was remove 14" of tailpipe to achieve the same results. Yes, there's drone with the original setup, but removing the pretty tailpipe eliminates the drone and somewhat tames the higher exhaust note.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All you had to do was remove 14" of tailpipe to achieve the same results. Yes, there's drone with the original setup, but removing the pretty tailpipe eliminates the drone and somewhat tames the higher exhaust note.
To me cutting 14" of tailpipe off isn't an option. I am not into having the exhaust just dump out under the box to rot it out along with the climate I live in. Just not a good idea.

Should have went with the 22x5x11" Magnaflow if you wanted quiet.
I would have considered that. I did ask around trying to get some info about the exhaust on this forum and others with little info found or offered. You really just need to hear it for yourself to get what you are looking for. I am happy with what I have now though. Thanks for the info. Even with the added cost of another muffler added to my system the JBA exhaust is still a bargain compared to many others and it is still stainless so it should help it last.
Greg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.