Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe it myself but this mod from the depths of hell is finally complete. :twisted: I went to the muffler shop this morning with the headers open so they could "tweak" my straight pipes that hook to them. It's all compete now......thank goodness!!!

Oh, and by the way, I wouldn't recommend running around with open headers, sounds cool but holy hell was it loud... :) Thankfully the muffler shop is only about 1.5 miles from me, just a short trip.

Here's a synopsis of this whole ordeal and then I'll comment on how it sounds now near the end.

To begin with the headers seem to be of very good quality. There were a couple of welds, inside of the collector area, that I had to clean up a bit. But for the most part they seem to be as good as advertised.

Now, my only and biggest beef with this mod is that the supplied directions are pretty much worthless, and don't even come close to preparing you for what your going to encounter. So I'll take a stab at it for those of you who are interested in accomplishing this mod.

First, if you have a 4x4, be prepared to remove the front differential. Believe it or not this was the easiest part of this whole mod. Remove the bolts that attach the axles to the differential assembly, the 4 drive shaft bolts, and finally the 3 main attach bolts. The whole unit can't weigh anymore then 100lbs. of which really surprised me. Removal is that simple!! You have to do this to gain access to the engine mounts and the lower exhaust manifold bolts. Do this part first and it will save you many hours of cussing and blood loss.. :lol:

You also have to remove the fender well panels of which only takes a few minutes, but is required to get to the 4 top bolts on the manifold. To get the factory manifolds out and to install the headers, the engine mounts have to be removed too, that part is in the directions and is only a mild PITA.

Other then those few tips, just plan on PLENTY of time. One thing to take note of is the length of the right JBA header. If you were to cut the cat off the factory manifold and install it on the header, (like we are supposed to) the whole assembly would be about 2" longer then the factory setup. This will lead to a required modification of the aft pipes, and of course there is no mention of that in the directions.

I was going to attach the pics here but there are 17 of them, so go here http://www.pixagogo.com/4217015251 if you want to see them all. They are located at the bottom of that linked pic page.

I really can't comment much on sound or power at this time other then they are a little bit louder, but nothing like I was expecting. Keep in mind I only drove it a mile and a half back to my house so it's waaaaay to early to say. I won't be commenting on any "seat of the pants" performance gains until after I have it dynoed due to this thread http://www.clubtitan.org/postt1354.html where members are guessing what my numbers will be. What a tease huh??? :lol:

Well take a look at the pics and if you have any questions fire away. My only intentions for the rest of today is to chill out and rest my aching/weary body. I feel almost as old as Bixll is, well not quite that old.... :lol:

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
I'm happy that you got the job done. After a few weeks it won't seem so bad! Thanks for keeping us up to speed on this project, Dale. Even though I have a 2WD Armada I don't think this will ever be one of my mods. I'm already too old - don't think I could stand the added ageing from that project!

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks scr, I sure wish I had an idea of what all was involved with this mod in the beginning because if I had....I would NOT have done it. I don't want to discourage anyone else from doing it but only if they know, and are prepared, for what they are getting into. This mod would have been so much more fun had I NOT been the one doing it..... :lol:

·
Registered
162 Posts
wow this whole buildup has been realy, really informative. i really like all the step-by-step mod's like the brake pad change, and the throttle body spacer that are on your pixagogo account. you really make it step by step. just a few questions. whuts the benefit of a throttle body spacer, and is the brake quiet really necessary or is it a part of the mod that you added because you thought we should do b/c it makes our lives easier?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Dale....don't you know this is why you're our hero.....lol! You boldly
go where most of us fraidy cats won't :lol: . Crap, man, if that'd been me attempting this mod, I would of had to call in the back up troops at first sign of trouble. Too much TITANium in my lower back to be doin that kind of wrenchin anymore!

Awesome job, man......go have many cold ones....you deserve/need it!

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SmokeTitn3144 said:
wow this whole buildup has been realy, really informative. i really like all the step-by-step mod's like the brake pad change, and the throttle body spacer that are on your pixagogo account. you really make it step by step. just a few questions. whuts the benefit of a throttle body spacer, and is the brake quiet really necessary or is it a part of the mod that you added because you thought we should do b/c it makes our lives easier?
Hi smoke, to answer your question about the T/B Spacer, go here http://www.clubtitan.org/postt1078.html and read the results I got from it. They were very favorable.

Concerning the brake quiet I used, it's an old habit of mine. I've done gobs of brake pad changes over the years and have always used this stuff. It stays on the back of the pads where the pucks are and keeps them from squealing. And yes I added that part because it will keep the brake pads quiet for many happy years!! The few pet peeves I have concerning automobiles are squealing brakes, rattles/noises in the interior, and overall dirty vehicles. Other then that, it's all good..... :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RockyMtnTitan said:
go where most of us fraidy cats won't :lol: . Crap, man, if that'd been me attempting this mod, I would of had to call in the back up troops at first sign of trouble. Too much TITANium in my lower back to be doin that kind of wrenchin anymore!

Thanks rocky, I'll have to wait until Friday for the cold ones. You wouldn't want me working on the aircraft your going to fly hungover now would you???? :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
71 Posts
JetTech said:
RockyMtnTitan said:

Thanks rocky, I'll have to wait until Friday for the cold ones. You wouldn't want me working on the aircraft your going to fly hungover now would you???? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wouldn't bother me ...

My mechanic knows that the first time the plane flies after he works on it ... he's going with me ...

I don't mind if he's drunk ... as long as he don't mind if I am ...

:D

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
JetTech said:
RockyMtnTitan said:

Uhhhh....let me think about that one......OK, better go with the NA stuff. At least you'll think you're drinking the good stuff! :roll:

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
WoW Dale what a couple days huh man. Sheesh hope you heel up quick and recover all the blood lost. LOL You are a brave man in my book. At least I know who to call now when I get mine. HEHE J/K don't think I'm brave enough for this one. Cant wait to see your dyno numbers and I hope they make it worth your while. Also you say its a bit louder. Is that louder in a good way or what. Will you be changing anything on your exhaust to tone it down or is it good for you.
Keep up the awesome job your doing.
M4ck

·
Registered
38 Posts
Will it cause any emission issue?I tghought the converter is welded with the stock header.....

·
Registered
71 Posts
ruah_23 said:
Will it cause any emission issue?I tghought the converter is welded with the stock header.....
JetTech said:
If you were to cut the cat off the factory manifold and install it on the header, (like we are supposed to) the whole assembly would be about 2" longer then the factory setup. This will lead to a required modification of the aft pipes, and of course there is no mention of that in the directions.
If you leave off the cats ... and live in an area with mandatory emmissions testing ... then there will be a problem ... since the first element of the emmissions testing protocol is to visually verify the prescence of the cats ...

If they're not there ... well ...

:D

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To answer the cat question, yes, that would pose a problem for me in a few years when it will need an emission check in 2007. What I'll probably do in the interim is find a good set of high flow cats and have them welded in the straight pipes just forward of the Y-pipe.

As far as sound goes, I can't get that silly grin off my face.... :D There is no typical ticking sound that you get from most headers, just a seriously bad *** sound coming out the back. I can't tell a difference when cruising down the highway, which is a VERY good thing. But when I stomp down on it.......it's aural heaven!! I need to find a way to get a good sound byte. In the past I've tried my dig. camera, camcorder, laptop....and they all sound horrible. Oh well, maybe I'll be able to figure something out.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update

I thought I would update you all on the sound now that I've driven it about a 100 miles. It sounds..................like pure unadulterated SEX.... :twisted: Oh my goodness I love the way it sounds. It reminds me of a late 60's Camaro with headers.. It is certainly louder then it was before without a doubt, but it's still very tolerable cruising down the highway. It's only slightly louder at cruise and that's a VERY good thing in my book. But when I stomp down on it, everyone in a 3 block radius knows.....It's pure heaven........I'm still not going to comment on performance... :twisted: so don't even ask..... :lol:

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
What do you mean "don't even ask..."? You make a comparison to unadulterated sex and we can't ask about the "performance" behind the unadulterated sex? Don't be a tease JT!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Y pipe?

JetTech said:
To answer the cat question, yes, that would pose a problem for me in a few years when it will need an emission check in 2007. What I'll probably do in the interim is find a good set of high flow cats and have them welded in the straight pipes just forward of the Y-pipe.

As far as sound goes, I can't get that silly grin off my face.... :D There is no typical ticking sound that you get from most headers, just a seriously bad *** sound coming out the back. I can't tell a difference when cruising down the highway, which is a VERY good thing. But when I stomp down on it.......it's aural heaven!! I need to find a way to get a good sound byte. In the past I've tried my dig. camera, camcorder, laptop....and they all sound horrible. Oh well, maybe I'll be able to figure something out.
Did I misunderstand? You bought headers but left the Y pipe on? Why?? Or were you talking about in the future for emssions and re-installing a Y pipe??
I had headers on my 1973 Camaro. It was the first thing I did to that car. Man O Man....it was so sweet. I miss that car.....

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The headers are shorties, so they dump into the straight pipes I had made and then they dump into the Gibson Y-Pipe. Does that answer your question?

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Caltitan said:
What do you mean "don't even ask..."? You make a comparison to unadulterated sex and we can't ask about the "performance" behind the unadulterated sex? Don't be a tease JT!!!
I've still got the "guess my dyno number" thread going so it wouldn't be fair to start telling everyone.... :twisted:

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok everyone, I can't hold it back anymore, so after reading this feel free to change your guesses if you want to on my dyno results next week.

It feels.............................weaker...NOOOOOOOOO :cry: :cry: :cry:

I've been crying in my moutain dew something terrible this whole week... My only theory at this point is that I surpassed the fine line of what backpressure is needed for our engines......All that work......All that time.... :cry: :cry:

It has "felt" a little better the last couple of days but that could be just wishful thinking on my part. I'm so [email protected]@D. Did I mention all that work??? :cry: :cry: Oh well, if next week on the dyno shows a loss then I'll probably have a couple of hi-flow cats welded in the straight pipes to help squeeze it down some. I'm sooooooooo discouraged...Ok, enough crying for now. There will be plenty of time for that after I pay $65 for another dyno run only to see I have less power........boooohooooo

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
thats to bad to hear :(
did you remove yuor cats and resonaters on your first titan? did you lose power on that truck?
wishful thinking is going to leave my #'s right where i put them :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts