Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't take the anticipation any longer so I went this afternoon and had my Titan dynoed. I'll leave it here in the general section for a few days and then move it to the dyno reports section after everyone has commented on it or done looking at it.

The most surprising thing of all is this truck is putting down almost the exact same numbers as my 4x2 did with the same mods. I can't believe Nissan made these drive trains so efficient. My hats off to the drive train engineers....Again!!!

Current mods to this truck:

1. Gibson Dual Extreme Exhaust
2. Volant Intake
3. Straight pipes in place of the aft cats.
4. Throttle body coolant bypass mod.

Outside air temp. was 75', 87 octane fuel, and 5W-30 Motorcraft oil.

Here's the dyno sheet for todays run....

And here's the dyno sheet from my 4x2.....Really close....As a matter of fact run #4 was 279hp and 345tq but it had a large gap in the lines from the pickup wire not doing it's job well enough. So he moved the pickup wire around and made 2 more runs to see if we could get a better looking graph.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
JetTech,

Great Looking Dynos!!!

I don't know a ton about 4x4 drivetrains, but from the looks of these, is it possible or even just a given, that the only time the forward section of drivetrain puts any load on the rear drive is when it has to push the front wheels over the pavement :?:

Also, with the Torque and HP peaking so early, do you think the truck would get better track times if the shiftpoints were lowered?

I wish manual upshift was an option :!:

Thanks!!!

Joe Chief

G

·
Well good work sir. This proves my point that 4x4 and 4x2 have no difference in loss. Due to the fact the front tires are not dynoing and are not moving. Only the rear like the 4x2.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chief said:
JetTech,

Great Looking Dynos!!!

I don't know a ton about 4x4 drivetrains, but from the looks of these, is it possible or even just a given, that the only time the forward section of drivetrain puts any load on the rear drive is when it has to push the front wheels over the pavement :?:

Also, with the Torque and HP peaking so early, do you think the truck would get better track times if the shiftpoints were lowered?

I wish manual upshift was an option :!:

Thanks!!!

Joe Chief
To answer your first question the engine output on a 4x4 has to go through the transmission then into the transfer case before it gets to the driveshaft. So theoretically the transfer case should (absorb) some of the horsepower before it gets to the driveshaft. Whereas on a 4x2 the engine output comes right out of the tranny to the driveshaft making it more efficient. That's the reason the guy doing the dyno couldn't believe we were getting the same numbers as my 4x2 did, I was shocked as well.

Lower shift points.....hmmmmm.....this (might) give a little better boost at the track as long as, when the next shift occured, it would be as close to peak tq. as possible. I've never had this thing on the track so I'm not totally sure of this.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Titan_TX said:
Well good work sir. This proves my point that 4x4 and 4x2 have no difference in loss. Due to the fact the front tires are not dynoing and are not moving. Only the rear like the 4x2.
Read my explanation to chief because it "should" be a little lower but it wasn't. Damn Nissan did a good job with this thing.....Makes me even happier I traded in my 4x2 for a 4x4... :D

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Thank You Much Guys :D

Chief

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's a pic from the service manual that may help you visualize even more what I was trying to explain about how the engine output has to go through the tranny, then to the transfer case, then on to the rear diff. Actually this pic shows the power distribution while in 4 wheel drive but you can see how it's routed when in 2 wheel drive.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Thanks for the effort JetTech, :D

That should keep me occupied for awhile :idea:

Chief

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
Nice post Dale you always make the best posts. Very informative and helpfull. Great to have you around here bud.
M4ck

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
JetTech, you need to start talking to your dyno guy about a buy five dynos and get one free deal. :lol:
Those are nice numbers. Have you ever thought about taking it to the track to get some times to go along with those dyno numbers?

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I certainly want to head to the track, I was hoping to get an invite to the one m4ck uses....hint hint...It may not be open this time of year though. Perhaps this spring if none are open at this time.

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
I believe it opens back up in Feb. I will have to check into that. I know I sure want to go back. Maybe we can hook up and head to the track one day.
M4ck

·
Registered
33 Posts
Looks like if you manually shift around 4100 you maximize torque and HP. Might have to give that a try...

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MrFisherman said:
Looks like if you manually shift around 4100 you maximize torque and HP. Might have to give that a try...
If you shift at 4100 you would drop way below peak tq and hp. Peak tq. generally comes in around 36 to 3900 and peak hp. is typically around 5Krpm. To fall nicely in the middle of those two a shift at 6000 would almost be necessary to put you back down around 42 to 4300rpm, or is that what you meant in the first place???

·
Registered
177 Posts
Nice job once again J.T.

We have just about the same mods and almost the same SAE dyno results.

Something I'd like to point out about your 2WD vs. 4WD giving about the same dyno results. Didn't you have different modifications on your 2WD? This could be a significant reason why the results are about the same. To really compare accurately I would think you would have to have the same modifications on both 2WD and 4WD trucks.

Like you said a 2WD doesn't have to go through the transfer case like a 4WD meaning theoretically the drive train loss should be a little more on a 4WD thus the dyno results lower vs. 2WD adjusting for transfer case loss albeit a minor loss. Just something to ponder and thanks again...

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Mike, the mods were the same except for the exhaust. On my 4x2 I had a flowmaster single in/dual out setup. On this truck I have the Gibson, single in/dual out setup. That's the only difference.

·
Registered
177 Posts
JetTech said:
Hi Mike, the mods were the same except for the exhaust. On my 4x2 I had a flowmaster single in/dual out setup. On this truck I have the Gibson, single in/dual out setup. That's the only difference.
Hmmm,

Could be the catback Gibson system gave you the extra gain over the custom Flo given theoretically there should be more loss on the 4Wd. Just a theory.

You tha man... :)

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That very well could be Fin....We couldn't have faked closer numbers if we wanted to is what the real astonishment is.... :D I just wish I knew what to do next. Headers are out of the question unless someone comes up with a REALLY good group buy on them. A cooler thermostat is out, at least for me. Under-drive pulleys are not available yet.

A supercharger would be awesome but I don't see me being able to afford one in the near future due to my wife is losing her job on Feb. 1.

So all in all I'm kind of at a loss. Perhaps I might go back and pick up where I left off researching electric fans. I'm sooooooo confused.............. :cry:

·
Registered
177 Posts
JetTech said:
That very well could be Fin....We couldn't have faked closer numbers if we wanted to is what the real astonishment is.... :D I just wish I knew what to do next. Headers are out of the question unless someone comes up with a REALLY good group buy on them. A cooler thermostat is out, at least for me. Under-drive pulleys are not available yet.

A supercharger would be awesome but I don't see me being able to afford one in the near future due to my wife is losing her job on Feb. 1.

So all in all I'm kind of at a loss. Perhaps I might go back and pick up where I left off researching electric fans. I'm sooooooo confused.............. :cry:
First and foremost I'm sorry to hear about the other half's job. Hopefully one door is closing for another bigger and brighter one to open. I was faced with the same circumstances late last year and the holiday's didn't look too good and out of the blue I landed the best job I've ever had. I pray this will be the case for you guys.

I'm in on a group buy for headers if the price is right too :) Under-drive pulleys are a real possibility, guy at dyno shop commented this is a cheap way to add some HP. Supercharger or turbo (twin turbo) $$$$$ as you said. Personally I'm waiting for a programmer...

Thank you for your enthusiasm, it's definitely inspirational...

Cheers,

Mike

1 - 20 of 40 Posts