Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:feuerkopf2-big::feuerkopf2-big:2008 Titan SE 4x4...47k miles

Basically...

1. A/C won't shut off, its on full steam all the time, i can alter the temperature to hot or cold with no problem, and change from defrost throughout all settings, putting on the feet setting slows it down a little, but it still won't shut off...anybody else have this problem or know of a way to fix it?

2. The cranking of the vehicle is sketchy. It will crank right up one hour then two hours later it won't crank at all. I can jump start it, and I know I probably need a new battery, but all the lights and radio work even when the truck doesn't start. It makes this repetitive clicking noise but doesn't get close to turning over...is this a symptom of the IPDM thing going out? I took it to an advance auto parts and they hooked up some little handheld tester thing and said there is some "snaffu" with the electrical system but the guy didn't seem to be very confident or sound to sure of himself? Is there some thing i can buy and plug in somewhere to tell me if there's a problem electrically?

Sorry about the essays for questions...any help would be awesome? Also is it a nightmare to drain the transmission fluid and power steering fluid? My ex didn't even change the oil for 8 months so needless to say I have a lot of work on my hands...

Thanks again...

Addition: The dealer says I need an engine purge...which doesn't surpise me, can I do that myself?
And some kind of filter that needs changing that improves gas mileage? not the air filter...I purchased a new one, but in cabin or something?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
What the hell is an engine purge? As for the clicking, you need a new battery...although 2 yrs is a short life for any battery. What happens when you hit the A/C button....nothing?

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Welcome back man. The In cabin thing you're talking about is the in cabin filter. Sorry to say but thats not going to give you better gas mileage. Its a pretty easy swap though.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Never heard of an engine purge either. Ditto on the cabin filter not increasing mileage, but please don't pay the dealer to change it~waaaste of money, you can change it yourself in 5 min if you have a screwdriver. Sounds like a good time to change as many fluids as you can: Rear diff, Transfer case, Front diff, Transmission, oil. Are you 4x4?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I had to do that purge also when I can back from Iraq from the T sitting for so long, all the parts in the motor are dry and at start up can damage the motor. I think you need another battery I told them I wanted a new one anyways when they did the purge
and as far as the cabin filter WOW that thing adds MAJOR horse power lol!! I can't believe they told you that .....come here for answers not the dealership all they know how to do is poke your eyes out.........SOME are pretty good

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What the hell is an engine purge? As for the clicking, you need a new battery...although 2 yrs is a short life for any battery. What happens when you hit the A/C button....nothing?
The light goes out when i push the button as if its going off but air still continues to blow, just not as cold.
The dealer said an engine purge is where they pour some liquid in with the oil and run the truck, and then drain the oil and put some mixture back in and run the truck again, supposedly takes "sludge" out of the engine if the oil hasn't been changed b/c my truck just had its first oil change friday for the first time in probably 8 months that i was gone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Never heard of an engine purge either. Ditto on the cabin filter not increasing mileage, but please don't pay the dealer to change it~waaaste of money, you can change it yourself in 5 min if you have a screwdriver. Sounds like a good time to change as many fluids as you can: Rear diff, Transfer case, Front diff, Transmission, oil. Are you 4x4?
Yea Its a 4x4. Wheres the cabin filter located? and I definitely need to change as many fluids as possible, are those relatively easy to drain and replace? I'm not completely mechanically challenged, I can change oil and the basics. lol.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Id run sea foam in the oil for 500 miles then drain oil. Sea foam is great stuff. I use it all the time..

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Yea Its a 4x4. Wheres the cabin filter located? and I definitely need to change as many fluids as possible, are those relatively easy to drain and replace? I'm not completely mechanically challenged, I can change oil and the basics. lol.
Cabin filter is behind the glove box on the passenger side. Instructions in your manual, or just search the forums. And yes, the fluids I mentioned are all very easy to change. I had never changed any fluids before owning this truck, but the instructions are all over the forums. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
The light goes out when i push the button as if its going off but air still continues to blow, just not as cold.
The dealer said an engine purge is where they pour some liquid in with the oil and run the truck, and then drain the oil and put some mixture back in and run the truck again, supposedly takes "sludge" out of the engine if the oil hasn't been changed b/c my truck just had its first oil change friday for the first time in probably 8 months that i was gone.
If the light goes off and the air is warmer, your A/C is going off. You have to turn the fan down or off to stop the airflow!
If your truck sits that long, use synthetic oil. Letting it sit and then needing an "engine purge" sounds like a whole lot of "I want your money" to me. If you want to lubicate the engine first (not needed but ok) yank the fuel injection fuse and crank it a few times. It won't start but will lube things up. I've never heard of such a thing.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Ha ha ha I thought the AC problem was a big one.
When you push the AC button that don't stop the air flow.. just cuts off the AC. lol. You have to turn off the fan (left knob). And make sure the knob on the right (where the air comes from) is at max, if not you have to manually tun on the AC :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks folks

I know how to turn the A/C off...lol. What I was saying is that air continues to blow even when all the buttons and knobs are turned off, I've looked around a bit and apparently some connector goes bad, semi-common problem i guess.

Thanks for all the responses.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
With regards to the purge I would say that it is unnecessary if you are running synthetic oil. Synthetic oil can sit for long periods of time without absorbing water vapor. I have a high mileage '91 Ranger that I run synthetic in and the oil gets changed once every couple of years at the earliest. I run synthetic so I don't have to change it often.

I would be a bit concerned about the fuel if your Titan has had the same gasoline in the tank for 8 months. Since your wife drove it I'll assume that isn't the case and it's not a problem to worry about.

Transmission fluid never has to be changed according to the Nissan maintenance schedule unless you tow or go offroad and then its every 30,000 miles.

Power Steering Fluid is easy to change. Just find a large syringe and suck out all the fluid while the engine is off. Add new fluid in and you're good to go.

As long as you're thinking about these things the brake fluid is good to replace every 3 years.

Next time you go overseas take the keys with you or leave them with a friend you trust. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts