Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh man what can I say absolutely amazing. I can't believe the boost this thing gives. It litterally blew me away. It sounds sweet too when you punch it. It made my exhaust sound even better as well. I don't know if that makes sense but its true. I will be doing a full step by step with pictures and a full review of the Volant Intake. It should be up tomorrow. Look in the reviews section in the afternoon.
I give this thing 2 thumbs up.
m4ck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
870 Posts
great... now that you've said that I might have to dip into my Scout budget and go ahead and buy one. I guess the new seats will wait another month.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,788 Posts
It's certainly a worthy addition to the Titan Endurance engine. You will notice more gains with an aftermarket exhaust than you will with stock, so if your running the stock exhaust don't expect huge gains. As a matter of fact with the stock exhaust it will raise your peak torque about 400rpm of which will make it feel a little "soft" at take-off. An aftermarket exhaust will lower the peak torque back 300rpm of which made it a tire burner again.

Also one more thing that is a must do and that is make sure to plug off the hole that is used for the ram-air kit. I used the top off a spray paint can of which fit in the hole nice and tight. If you don't plug that hole you'll defeat the purpose of the intake by sucking in hot air off the exhaust headers. Just FYI...I have pics of this on my pics site if your wondering what I'm talking about.

Dale
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
Okay Bixll, there you go, time to pony up. Can't be only one without the Volant!!! :lol: :lol:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,246 Posts
My "Hot Rod" days have long past by! I now drive everything I have trying not to break it! I spent entirely too much time of my life wrenching on vehicles, a lot of it because of hot rodding, I am done! I would much rather wash and wax it, then wrench on it replacing something I tore up. Not to metion the fact that my livelyhood depends on my license. My Titan runs just fine in the stock form for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
Hey Bill I understand, I was just joking with ya. Kind of a continuation from a month or so ago when I was doing all the mods and you gave me a hard time for "engine only" mods.. :lol:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine was fine stock as well but I love the new Bark she gives when I hit the gas.
M4ck
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,246 Posts
MikeZ said:
Hey Bill I understand, I was just joking with ya. Kind of a continuation from a month or so ago when I was doing all the mods and you gave me a hard time for "engine only" mods.. :lol:
No sweat man, I knew that. I was just explaining why.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
K&N FIPK vs. Volant?

It seems that the Volant Intake is more popular than the K&N FIPK. I've already purchased the K&N FIPK but haven't installed it yet. I am wondering if I've made the wrong choice. I would appreciate any input on this topic. I am told that the K&N is legal where I am at (Canada). Thanks in advance.

TDZE08
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe both are fine products. I went with the Volant because of the air box that comes with it that keeps out the hot air from the engine compartment. Gets only cool air from the wheel well. Thats the main reason for me.
 

·
SHIFT_chicks-rule!
Joined
·
1,988 Posts
m4ck said:
Oh man what can I say absolutely amazing. I can't believe the boost this thing gives. It litterally blew me away. It sounds sweet too when you punch it. It made my exhaust sound even better as well. I don't know if that makes sense but its true. I will be doing a full step by step with pictures and a full review of the Volant Intake. It should be up tomorrow. Look in the reviews section in the afternoon.
I give this thing 2 thumbs up.
m4ck
Gotta couple of questions for ya. Is the filter that came with it the K&N type and if so, have you sent in an oil sample since you've put on the CAI?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
baja220 said:
m4ck said:
Oh man what can I say absolutely amazing. I can't believe the boost this thing gives. It litterally blew me away. It sounds sweet too when you punch it. It made my exhaust sound even better as well. I don't know if that makes sense but its true. I will be doing a full step by step with pictures and a full review of the Volant Intake. It should be up tomorrow. Look in the reviews section in the afternoon.
I give this thing 2 thumbs up.
m4ck
Gotta couple of questions for ya. Is the filter that came with it the K&N type and if so, have you sent in an oil sample since you've put on the CAI?
It is a cone filter here is a picture of it.
I have not done an oil sample yet though. I don't know that it would affect an oil sample though. Why do you ask?
 

·
SHIFT_chicks-rule!
Joined
·
1,988 Posts
These filters let lots of air in, but they also let in dirt. Some oil sample reports from people that have a CAI with the K&N type filter are showing to have dirt in the oil. Air filter failure. I'll see if I can come up with the thread about it, but it may be a couple of days. It's on a Cobra Forum.
I've just been reading cause I want to get the Volant, but I may go with the foam filter.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Deb,
I believe you should be concerned about this if you were to get the K&N but the Volant is a closed system. It pulls air through the fender well not straight out of the engine compartment like the K&N with its open system. The volant is built into a closed box and should prevent this problem. I understand the question now sorry for being "slow" LOL
M4ck
 

·
SHIFT_chicks-rule!
Joined
·
1,988 Posts
m4ck said:
Deb,
I believe you should be concerned about this if you were to get the K&N but the Volant is a closed system. It pulls air through the fender well not straight out of the engine compartment like the K&N with its open system. The volant is built into a closed box and should prevent this problem. I understand the question now sorry for being "slow" LOL
M4ck
I think this was a closed box. I'll post the thread when I can find out where it is. I don't think they were talking about the K&N CAI system. I think it was the K&N type (cotton) filter.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,246 Posts
baja220 said:
m4ck said:
Deb,
I believe you should be concerned about this if you were to get the K&N but the Volant is a closed system. It pulls air through the fender well not straight out of the engine compartment like the K&N with its open system. The volant is built into a closed box and should prevent this problem. I understand the question now sorry for being "slow" LOL
M4ck
I think this was a closed box. I'll post the thread when I can find out where it is. I don't think they were talking about the K&N CAI system. I think it was the K&N type (cotton) filter.
I don't believe K&N has a closed box system do they?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Maybe she means a K&N replacement filter for the stock airbox.
M4ck
 

·
SHIFT_chicks-rule!
Joined
·
1,988 Posts
m4ck said:
Maybe she means a K&N replacement filter for the stock airbox.
M4ck
I mean the K&N type filter. Aren't they cotton? Doesn't matter whether it's for replacement for the stock box or in a CAI.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Air filters

Deb,
You are correct that K&N filters do allow more dirt thru than a stock filter. Now whether or not it is enough dirt, particulate matter, etc to make a difference in engine longevity is quite the debate. My personal thought is that if one lives in area that is very dusty etc that it would be prudent to stay with a stock type filter element.
Regards,
Sam
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top