Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put the Westin black steel step tubes on when the truck was new, about 5 1/2 years ago. They were fairly cheap, 150 bucks I think, maybe 200.

I wasn't overly impressed, the way the brackets hang way down and cut clearance, especially behind the front wheels. I also found myself never using them, I'd just step out over them when I got out of the truck. But they looked OK, helped some people get in/out of the truck. Maybe they protected it from parking lot dings and salt spray kicking up from the tires.

About a year ago they started showing rust, Then I stepped on one last week and it was rusting through. You could feel it starting to give. It took a pretty bad hit in the woods and was probably history from that point on.

Yesterday I took them off. With the step bars gone and the mini-lift I put on last summer, the truck looks a lot cleaner and quite a bit higher. I like it.

For the price I paid I think I got my money's worth, but generally I don't like to add things that don't last.

Now I'm not sure if I should pick up a set of used factory tubes. Seems like there are enough out there.

Do you think it's worth putting factory ones on? I guess there are pros and cons. I don't want to take away from the appearance or clearance, but maybe the protection they offer might be worth it.

For now I'm just enjoying the new look, but might add the stock ones eventually.

Thanks,

Chief

·
Registered
343 Posts
About a year of so after I purchased my new 2004 Titan, I too purchased a cheap set of step bars (dealsofsteel) for about the same price as you quoted. I bought the set only for practical reasons so my grandchildren could easily make the step into the back seat of my truck since they were quite small at the time.

It was always my intent to remove the bars and that time is relatively close as the youngest is now eleven and is probably becoming capable of stepping into the truck without the aid of the steps bars.

The same as you, I never use the bars myself as they are just an obstacle to step over when entering my truck. I plan to remove the bars relatively soon but I don't intend to replace them with anything. The bars probably produce wind drag that decrease gas mileage and I don't particularly like the look of the bars anyway.

My thought is to leave off the bars.

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
I have always like the factory ones, especially the stainless ones. When mine are done, that is the direction I will go. My truck sits too high to be without them, not so much for me, but my wife and others they are a must have.

A long time ago, the member "Transformer" had his powdercoated white to match his truck and I thought they looked amazing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I recently ditched mine, also after adding a leveling kit. They're never going back on. The look is much cleaner and taller. I never used them either....all they ever did was get dirt on my pants.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.