Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 XE CC with power locks and windows. However, I did not get a keyless entry keyfob. How can I tell if my truck has a keyless control unit? I've been told that if you have power locks then you should have the control unit, but I want to make sure before I invest in a keyfob. Anybody got suggestions?

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
The power locks are controlled by the Body Control Module (BCM), all Titans have this. However to use the wireless key fob you must have the receiver for the key fob installed. This is it's location:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't make out exactly where that is. Is it underneath the steering column? If so, can I see it without taking everything apart? Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
That is the right side of the dash, with the top off. (above the glove box) I feel sure you do not have it installed if your truck came without keyless entry. I also don't know if the harness and plug is there, but I would guess that it is.

Update:
The keyless entry receiver is also used for the Tire Pressure Monitor, so if you have that on your truck you do have the keyless receiver.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I'm pretty sure that it does, but again how can I tell if I have the tire pressure monitoring system? Without tearing out my dash that is...

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
I just checked the 2005 specs and all Titans have the tire pressure monitor system, so you must have the receiver. The remote should work, but it will have to be programmed.

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
This is how you program the fob:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Success!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Got a $20 remote from an ebay auction. It works great. So the good news for all us that 2005 owner's didn't who did not get the keyless, it is doable and very inexpensive!

RoisonDubh
2005 Silver XE CC

·
Registered
721 Posts
My keyless remotes came with the XE Preferred Package. I imagine that if I did not get this package or another that included keyless, I would not have gotten them either.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My "stealer" did not mention that the truck didn't include the preferred package. I was a first time buyer (aka sucker) and didn't notice that I didn't get the keyfobs until after I had the truck at home. Live and learn I guess. It's just sad that a "stealer" would so very knowingly take advantage of a priest. :cry:

·
Registered
721 Posts
As the saying goes Caveat Emptor. This was the first new vehicle for me, but being an Internet junkie I did a ton of research and even found the exact truck before I stepped onto the dealer's lot. I gave them the VIN and said gimme.

Oh, well enough rambling. At least upgrading in cheap for the '05s.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know its going off topic, but Dinkle have you done any leg work on fog lights? I'd like to put some in the factory holes, but with no wiring I'm just wondering if its gonna be too big a task for me...

·
Registered
108 Posts
roisondubh said:
My "stealer" did not mention that the truck didn't include the preferred package. I was a first time buyer (aka sucker) and didn't notice that I didn't get the keyfobs until after I had the truck at home. Live and learn I guess. It's just sad that a "stealer" would so very knowingly take advantage of a priest. :cry:

This is an odd one to me. When I was at the dealership with the Fam all new vehicles (Nissan's) had the keyfobs hanging from the visors. In fact they had so many they gave a few out of a basket to the kids to calm them down. A little trick I learned several years ago. Get your kids rowdy and wild and they still want your business but want you out pretty fast so they tend to give yo a pretty good hasle free offer :roll:

·
Registered
721 Posts
roisondubh said:
I know its going off topic, but Dinkle have you done any leg work on fog lights? I'd like to put some in the factory holes, but with no wiring I'm just wondering if its gonna be too big a task for me...
I like the stock look for things like that and since the XE's don't have factory wiring for them I haven't really bothered (also have better things to spend money on right now.) If you don't mind installing a switch somewhere on your dash it shouldn't be too difficult. I have done it on other vehicles. Many manf. make kits that include everything you need and directions. I would just make sure that the kit or whatever uses a master relay and fuses.

You can do a search on this site and find out what other people have done. I have seen several other posts discussing this subject.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
scr,

being the electronic guru that you are, is this present in the 04's? I have the stock XE with tire pressure sensors. I think all Titans do no? Would this mean I have the Keyfob piece needed as well. I do not have power windows or locks. Ideas?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Simply Titan,

From what I understand you have to have the power locks and doors because that is the mechanism that the keyfob operates. You may have the keyless control unit, but without the machinery to actually turn the locks it wouldn't work.

I'm sure Scr would have more definative info though

Fr. Rod

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
Correct. You have the receiver for the fob, but since you don't have the power door locks a fob won't do you any good.
The receiver for the keyless entry is on all the Titans since it is also used for the tire pressure monitors. But you would have to have the power door locks to use the keyless system. And if you had the power locks/windows you would get two fobs with that option.
There are after market remote door locks on the market; I haven't had any experience with them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts