Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Hi Herb and welcome to the forum. Can you tell us a little more about this diff cover? Like are we talking about the same ones the 05's have or is this an aftermarket cover? Also does the contact you listed have them for sale right now? I know, I'm full of questions but you can't tease me like that because I want one for my truck... :D

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
jettech, the 05 diff covers are avalible at nissan parts counter. i just ordered 1 on friday and will be posting some pics of the install when it arrives to me.

part # is 38350-8s100 its $47.00 + tax

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
boy i hope i did to, but it looks like they got me the wrong one. i will talk to them tomarrow and give them this other part # and see what they say, lookls like im waiting a little longer for it. thanks for pointin that out, you saved me some early frustration :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
The aftermarket ones for the Dana 44 don't hurt your eyes too bad ...

But they don't look like they'd dissipate the heat anywhere near as well as the factory model ....

More decorative than functional ...

:D

·
Registered
2,489 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Howdy to you too.

I got the overheating thing -- read that elsewhere as well, however, I don't see how a cover will solve this. Seems to me a type-of-fluid being used issue (I am no mechanic, so please pardon my ignorance).

I have read previos posts regarding hot rear-ends, however, what I am able to gather, these are isolated cases -- not everyone has the problem. I will soon change out the fluids on my trans. cases, just to satisfy my curiosity -- however, I'm not in a real hurry, I have 3,000 miles on it. Maybe when it gets a little warmer.

The recommended first change is what... 30K? You would think if there was a huge problem out there, we'd all be getting letters from Nissan in the form of a recall -- or dealerships would have a TSB on this now... ya think?

What the heck - let me call my service guy real quick.......

(break)

Oh heck - he's on the other line now. I will call him back and ask him what he's heard. This is a LARGE Nissan dealer -- they should have a clue (or two...)

Back at ya soon.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
well i have to say thanks again to tattoomee for catching that wrong part # for me. i talked to the parts manager this time and he hooked me up with the right stuff . the # they had me set up for was the steel diff. cover when i made it very clear i wanted the aluminuim one, the 1st counter guy was just being lazy.
the new part # i got was the one over on TT its 38350-8s10a and cost 101.22 the new longer bolts are # 38321-8s10a and are 1.05 a piece x 12. kit does include drain plug and brake line brackets.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Is this new cover supposed to "cool down" this overheat issue? You'd think they'd "give" us this part to prevent potential problems, eh???

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
also forgot to add that i talked to my service manager about this possibly voiding my warrenty. he called the guy who takes care of nissan warrenty issues, he responded "not at all, he'll be one step ahead of the rest" he also told the manager to make sure i change the oil over to a full synthetic 75w140, so they are officialy changing the oil viscosity over in the 04's when they do a fluid change :D

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
JimB said:
Is this new cover supposed to "cool down" this overheat issue? You'd think they'd "give" us this part to prevent potential problems, eh???
Been there, Done that.
The "overheating diff" is so Isolated, that they're waiting until there's more "Evidence" to create a TSB, or a "Voluntary Recall", which is where it is "addressed" on a case by case basis.

There is NO Voidance to the warranty, because it is a FACTORY Upgrade. If it fails with an Aftermarket product, Warranty will not cover Repair.

THAT is why I said Earlier, I'll wait for the Factory Cover.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts