Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm new here..just bought a 2010 SE w/ Heavy Metal chrome pkg.

I should preface this by stating that this is my first truck (sorry, I've always had Maximas) and I have absolutely no clue what I need to do to get what I need out of my upgrades. I am looking to add a few ponies and generate some decent sound, but most of all, increase the MPG as much as possible.

About to upgrade a few things and need some advice/opinions. Looking at the Nismo cat-back and the Nismo CAI. The biggest question I have is about the chip. Do I replace the stock chip or buy a controller to reprogram when needed? I do want to maintain my warranty, so I assume I need a controller to program my stock settings for when I need to visit the dealer.

Once again, I'm a total newbie, so be nice. :)

Thanks in advance for all the help!!

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Welcome to the Club!

We do not have a Chip to replace. Programming is done from a Laptop with UpRev Osiris Software and their OBD to USB Cable, or a BullyDog Handheld Tuner, SuperChips Handheld Tuner and I think one other brand - HyperTech! UpRev Osiris is most expensive and most versatile as it is totally customized for your personal Truck, not based on just a list of options you have.

All mentioned, are good products though. NISMO headers are basically not available, no longer in production. Major Headers are from JBA (Short Tube); Stillen, OBX, Doug Thorley (Long Tubes). Maybe another LT is out there.

You can easily add power, but do not expect any significant increase in MPG. I seem to get the EPA Rated 14/18 in spite of all the Mods. So, I am pretty pleased. I got 19 one time on Highway by myself and doing 70 for a few hours.

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
You can't replace the stock chip. You will need a programmer. For simple mods, such as after market CAIs and cat back exhaust systems the Bully Dog and Superchips programmers work well. If you do more extensive mods, such as headers, you will need to go with UpRev, the only system that can give you a full custom tune.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
UpRev then ;)

·
Registered
494 Posts
If you are really opening up the exhaust, then you may need to add uprev at the same time you add the LTs and possibly HF cats. If not you will have issues with the ecu freaking out since the exhaust flows just too good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the help. Just ordered everything...hope i did a good job. I'll let you all know how it turns out. Here's what I got:

NISMO Cat-back system
Injen CAI
BullyDog GT

Next step, audio...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Thanks for all the help. Just ordered everything...hope i did a good job. I'll let you all know how it turns out. Here's what I got:

NISMO Cat-back system
Injen CAI
BullyDog GT

Next step, audio...
Great choices! The nismo cat-back is loud, but it performs great. The difference in your trucks performance will be like night and day once you get all of these installed.

·
Registered
746 Posts
You're off to a great start that's for sure. I loved my Nismos when I had them. It sounded much better than my JBAs I have now, I think. Audio huh? What do you have in mind?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm looking at Infinity Kappa for the doors (6x9 and 6.5), either a pioneer or sony in-dash nav (probably the pioneer), and I stole a JL audio 10 and a kenwood amp from by brother who didn't use it anymore.

Should be pretty cheap since the dealership screwed up when i bought the truck and sent me a $350 check today. Couple that with $250 or so in Best Buy rewards points (i shop there often) and the free sub and amp..I'll only be out of pocket 200 bucks or so. Not bad.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Welcome to the Club. As others mentioned those are great mods for the T, but as far as increasing MPG, good luck as those mods will also rob you. You will be catching yourself stomping on the gas to hear and feel the power of Beast.:):):)

·
Registered
304 Posts

NISMO Cat-back system
Injen CAI
BullyDog GT

Next step, audio...
I love my Injen CAI! Love it!

BDGT is good too ;-)

·
Registered
767 Posts
Injen CAI is a good choice. I have it and it sounds great and performs well too!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, so I got the exhaust and CAI on the beast. I just plugged in the BDGT and reprogrammed and took it for a test drive. HOLY CRAP!

I turned off the WOT restrictor and tuned to performance. Felt like a completely different truck. After a couple weeks of Hemi-destroying I will tune down to fuel efficiency (probably).

Thanks for all the help and all your input.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Oh Hemi destroying... you need one of these!

Go over to titantalk.com and look up a fellow named moze. He'll hook you up with a Ya it'll beat a Hemi sticker. That's still my number one mod!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Done...

It's been a while...I'm lazy with uploading pictures, but here you go. Just a couple snaps of the Nismo exhaust and the Injen CAI. I chose not to hard-wire the BDGT in there...tuned it up and let it be. I leave it in the console just in case i need to adjust something when I'm not at home. I've got it set as powerful as it can possibly be, and I'm still hanging around 17.5 city/18.5 highway. I'm fine with that!

As far as the audio goes, here's what I ended up doing. Bought a Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD head unit, Infinity Kappa 6x9's for the front doors, Kappa 6.5's for the rear doors. Dual Kicker Comp 10's in a downfiring custom box. Got an Alpine 350 mono pushing the subs, and an Alpine 1000 5-channel on the doors/satellites. Sounds absolutely amazing!

Now, with the audio, there are a couple things I found doing the install that people may want to know.

1. DO NOT buy a new face plate for your new head unit. They are about 60 bucks, and the only cosmetic difference is you lose the AUX jack. There are 4 plastic clips on the back that would not allow for the head unit to seat properly. Fix? Dremel.

2. When running the amp power cable to the battery - don't kill me guys - drilled a hole in the firewall behind the glove box and sealed it with a .39 cent rubber grommit.

3. Lost my steering wheel controls and bluetooth. Have the module to wire it into the new unit, but it is incredibly confusing and you have to "teach" the module what to do. Work in progress.

4. I did the install right. Front seats and entire console came out of the truck...along with all the carpet. I really took the time to do it the right way. Door speakers were a pain, took a couple hours running the wires through the doors using a bent up coathanger and SEVERAL rolls of electrical tape!

5. Bought the Pioneer XM module...then realized the unit had "App Mode". Pandora=free, XM=returned to store.

6. For the iPod/iPhone adapter - bought the Pioneer cable. It's interesting. Ran it from the unit under the console, drilled a little hole in the "hole" between the deep console and shifter under the little rubber mat. Oh yeah..App mode..youtube, movies, whatever radio app you use...all display on the screen. Nice.

7. Pre-wired for DVD headrests. Simple.

Next for the beast? HID Halo projectors (black), HID fogs, smoke taillights (not covers, full taillights), leveling kit, Rhino Lining...that should about do it.

Thanks again for all your help guys, and I'll post more pics as I make more mods. It will be a while, as I'm off to Afghanistan for 6 months pretty soon.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts