Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my original battery finally gave up. Did well for 6 1/2 years I would say. Anyway, I did some searches on here and am more confused as to what I want to get now then before I started!

First off, I am not a believer in the Optima deep cycle thing, I do not have a system. I do have the tow package though, so I think mine came with a bigger battery. The OEM show 710 CCA

When I looked up on line for Advanced Auto they gave me a listing for a 24F battery with 700 CCA. OEM says its a 27F, but when I punch it on on the site the dimensions are way off with the 27F. The thing is, I can get a $30.00 discount if I order on line before tomorrow night and pick it up at the store.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/OrderItemDisplay?orderId=3646219&langId=-1&calculationUsageId=-1&updatePrices=1&userIdentifier=&catalogId=10051&errorViewName=OrderItemDisplayView&promoCode=BIG30&storeId=10151&taskType=A

I looked up on Auto zone also. They gave me the same 24F listing , but the dimensions are almost exact to OEM, and it has 750 CCA. Thing is it is also $30.00 more.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Gold-Duralast-Battery/2004-Nissan-Datsun-Titan-4WD/_/N-jlrhhZacy27?counter=0&itemIdentifier=832327_27122_0_

I saw where SCR38 got a 27F for his Armada, are their batteries different from ours?

I don't think it is a good idea to go with the 700CCA when OEM was 710 CCA, what do you guys think? Should I save the $30.00 and go with the Advance Auto battery, or spend the extra $30.00 and go with the AutoZone?

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
700 vs 710 is negligible, but 750 sounds better to me, worth the $30. I always go for an upgrade if in that range. Every bit helps, especially in the cold. Auto Zone batteries have a decent reputation too.

FYI: I have a BNIB Odyssey PC1700 I got as a warranty replacement in August. I had already replaced my battery with a Sears Diehard Platinum (virtually same battery, same mfg). I had bought one of those Platinums for my wife's car too.

I need to sell this thing, as I will not be needing it. It is still in the factory sealed box. I just hadn't bothered listing it as I was tied up with several activities. It can be shipped UPS Ground. ??? PM sent.

Armada and Titan are identical afaik, I've looked at one many times, as 8balllrook has an Armada.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have the tow package as well so mine came with the larger 27 size battery, when my stock battery gave out about 2 years ago I went with the Duralast Gold size 24 that you have listed because even though it is a smaller battery it has more CCA than the stock 27 size battery, the difference in power is noticeable, it made me wish I put the Duralast in when the truck was new.

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I am thinking I am going with the Durolast Gold, I have had luck in the past with them.

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
72 Posts
My OEM battery went toast after one year. Ended up buying a Duralast Gold from Autozone, and that one crapped out on me two years later. Luckily for me it had the 3 year warranty so I got a new one for free.

It's passed the test for me as I've floored, towed and hauled in 110+ weather!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
The factory battery lasted you 6.5 years and is fairly cheap. I'd go back to the dealer and be done with it...they even install it free. Why beat yourself up with a decision that should be fairly easy. For a little more $$ you could get a DieHard, but I certainly wouldn't go for some unknown brand...or unproven I should say, at one of the chain stores.

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The factory battery lasted you 6.5 years and is fairly cheap. I'd go back to the dealer and be done with it...they even install it free. Why beat yourself up with a decision that should be fairly easy. For a little more $$ you could get a DieHard, but I certainly wouldn't go for some unknown brand...or unproven I should say, at one of the chain stores.
I am not beating myself up, I am doing research and getting opinions. The Die Hard is quite a bit more money and only provides 700CCA and the warranty is not as good. Name brand, or name recognition is not always the best purchase.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I put a DieHard Gold in my 04 when that battery finally went bad and it was the same 710 CCA I had in the tow package. Again, it was more expensive than the dealer but I was there so...I went for it. I don't know of many batteries though that are going to last 6 years...lol.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I think you'll pay a hefty premium if you get a new battery from the dealer. For the same price you could probably get an Odyssey battery with 1700 CCA instead of 750. But if all you want is a simple replacement you can always to go Walmart. It seems to me that if the battery fails there are more Walmarts than Sears stores. The battery in my wife's minivan is from Walmart as is the battery in my '91 Ranger. But in my Titan I have an Odyssey.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
My OEM battery was 650 CCA, and I replaced it with a 700 CCA MT34R Interstate for $87.79 OTD in June 2010.

·
Registered
612 Posts
The Optima starting battery is a red top. I have a red top in one of my cars that has lasted over ten years. I have a yellow top in another car but that car has neons and strobes, and I need that battery to run the neons and strobes at night for an hour or so at a night time show and then start the car with no problem. I put in a "Gold" battery from Advanced in my wife's driver. I would not put that battery in the Titan because its not maintenance-free. I don't like the possibity of spashing acid around the engine compartment if you go off road. I would definitely choose an Optima red top or other gel cell / maintenance free battery for the Titan when the OEM battery in my '05 Titan gives up. It sounds like the Odyssey is worth looking into as well. I wouldn't buy one battery over another to save a mere $30.00. The next time its 30 below zero, you want it to start, right?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I think you'll pay a hefty premium if you get a new battery from the dealer. For the same price you could probably get an Odyssey battery with 1700 CCA instead of 750. But if all you want is a simple replacement you can always to go Walmart. It seems to me that if the battery fails there are more Walmarts than Sears stores. The battery in my wife's minivan is from Walmart as is the battery in my '91 Ranger. But in my Titan I have an Odyssey.
That's what I thought!! But it was something crazy like only $89 installed! Cheaper than the friggin' special DieHard I had to put in our Beetle!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Personally I vote WalMart EverStart battery. They are cheap and have a great warranty, something like 3yr free and then another 5yr prorated for 8yrs total. They are less then a hundred bucks total and they install for free. If you are on a trip or etc... and it dies, they have the warranty in their system and you have a photocopy of your receipt so you are good to go. They are eveywhere so they are easy to find.

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Personally I vote WalMart EverStart battery. They are cheap and have a great warranty, something like 3yr free and then another 5yr prorated for 8yrs total. They are less then a hundred bucks total and they install for free. If you are on a trip or etc... and it dies, they have the warranty in their system and you have a photocopy of your receipt so you are good to go. They are eveywhere so they are easy to find.
Do you have any idea what the specs are on their battery? I can't seem to find it online???

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I only have experience with an ATV battery I bought from Walmart. You had to fill it with the provided mix and charge it. That lasted me 1 year...so I have a bad taste on the "NeverStart" as I call it...lol. Maybe their automotive batteries are better but for under $100, you can get a good battery.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts