1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked out the fuel injectors. There is a oily residue around the ones in the area the tick comes from. Is that right?
Thanks,

·
Registered
411 Posts
Not really (if it is fuel). I don't see why that would cause a ticking noise. Just a question: you did know that the valves are shim adjusted so these engines are like "mechanical" lifters and not self-adjusting hydraulics. These types of valvetrain generally make more noise than the average engine you might be used to.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think JetTech or someone had a fix for the engine tic(tick) involving a ground wire. After using the search function, I still can't locate the procedure for that. Apparently it works for about 90% of tic(k) cases.
Does anyone know the steps or the thread with directions?

·
Registered
791 Posts
the_head said:
Not really (if it is fuel). I don't see why that would cause a ticking noise. Just a question: you did know that the valves are shim adjusted so these engines are like "mechanical" lifters and not self-adjusting hydraulics. These types of valvetrain generally make more noise than the average engine you might be used to.
We still have lifters even though it is overhead cam? Man, you can tell I've spent to much time around push rods lately. :oops:

·
Banned
1,478 Posts
No Lifters on Titans

The overhead cam engine in the Titan is of the direct valve actuation type. No lifters, no rocker arms and no pushrods.

There is a cap that fits over the valve spring and sits on top of the valve stem. The cap has a protrusion on the underside that directly contacts the valve stem. The cam lobe directly contacts the top of the cap to actuate the valve. To change valve clearance as requred, it is necessary to replace the cap which is available in 0.2mm increments. This system is very similar to that found on many motorcycle engines. Except they use a separate shim under the cap that can be replaced. Often called "Shim under bucket" type.

For a MECHANICAL type system. this holds up well and is integral to the longer service intervals of modern engines.

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
Re: No Lifters on Titans

rdfeatherstone said:
The overhead cam engine in the Titan is of the direct valve actuation type. No lifters, no rocker arms and no pushrods.

There is a cap that fits over the valve spring and sits on top of the valve stem. The cap has a protrusion on the underside that directly contacts the valve stem. The cam lobe directly contacts the top of the cap to actuate the valve. To change valve clearance as requred, it is necessary to replace the cap which is available in 0.2mm increments. This system is very similar to that found on many motorcycle engines. Except they use a separate shim under the cap that can be replaced. Often called "Shim under bucket" type.

For a MECHANICAL type system. this holds up well and is integral to the longer service intervals of modern engines.
Oh man I love it when smart people talk. I learn a lot from you guys so when you can describe stuff this well it really helps me out. I know computers but nothing about engines so bring on the info guys.
M4ck

·
Registered
411 Posts
TitanHauler said:
the_head said:
these engines are like "mechanical" lifters
We still have lifters even though it is overhead cam? Man, you can tell I've spent to much time around push rods lately. :oops:
The post above this one explains what it is. I said "like" mechanical lifters. It's just like what most modern sportbikes have these days.

·
Registered
343 Posts
DallasTitan I think the fix for the tick your talking about is on TT,I'm thinking about trying it,run a new ground wire from beside the battery to the ground for the engine block,takes about a 36 in. at least thats what the tread says.It's worth a shot. The name of the tread is Fix for the tick on passanger side area.This tread has pictures and all!!! Hope this helps!!

Gregg

·
Registered
8 Posts
GreggS said:
DallasTitan I think the fix for the tick your talking about is on TT,I'm thinking about trying it,run a new ground wire from beside the battery to the ground for the engine block,takes about a 36 in. at least thats what the tread says.It's worth a shot. The name of the tread is Fix for the tick on passanger side area.This tread has pictures and all!!! Hope this helps!!

Gregg
I finally located it on TT. I hear taking off the bolt on the engine block is a chore, buy overall worth a try. Thanks Gregg!

·
Banned
1,478 Posts
SCR38 is right.

I don't know where I got the term "Cap" from in refernce to the "lifter". True it more closely resembles a cap than a traditional lifter so many of us were familiar with from the old push rod engines.

But, Nissan's termanology is to call it a lifter so that is what I will call it in the future.

One other correction to my original post: These lifters are available in "0.02mm" increments and not in "0.2mm" as I originally posted. Sorry about that.

An interesting side note is that some Motorcycle engines use a "finger" over the lifter, between it and the cam. This is to eliminate the sliding friction of the cam lobe on the valve stem. On some MCs these are quite thin and there was worry at 14,000 to 15,000 rpm that it might cause bending of the valve stem and eventual failure of the valve.

If we ever get the Tiatan engine up to 14K or 15K, we're going to have to worry about a lot more than just a couple of bent valve stems :cry:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts