Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Well I finally decided to purchase the Long Tru Cool LPD SR4588 Transmission Cooler. I ordered from D&E Performance parts. Total $68.24 Shipped. Specs are as follow: (5-3/4" x 11" x 1-1/2") GVW - 19,000 lbs. BTU - 14,400.
The cooler really isn't that big but IT WORKS!

First off let me say, I didn't get an autometer temp gauge to see what the temps are, but from what i've read this cooler typically drops temps by 25* when you bypass the internal radiator cooler.

I will tell you that my stock gauge reads lower (2 needles) under normal driving conditions such as stop and go traffic in 80* weather. Plus the shifts feel smoother when just cruising around even with my Transgo kit installed. I still can tell a difference. I say its a great investment and its not difficult install at all.

It took me about an hour and a half because I took my time and I after I finished I had a small leak around one of the worm clamps that I didn't tighten enough but its all fixed now. You will be able to see in the pics where it leaked some.

At first doing the install can be a little confusing because the hard and rubber lines are kind of hidden. But once you pull the grill off and look at everything you will see how the output and return lines are routed. I will explain and show you where everything is in the pictures.

Lastly, after doing this install with great success, I realized that eventually if I ever change to a bigger radiator, i'm going to remove the factory external trans cooler and the Long tru cooler that I have now and buy the Long Tru Cool SR4590 which is (11x11x1-1/2) GVW Rating - 28,000 lbs. BTU Rating - 24,000 btu. Reason being, is that the factory external cooler could work better if it were placed where it receives direct oncoming air. Needless to say the factory external cooler sandwiched between the condensor and radiator is only about 60-70% efficient compared 100% being out of obstruction.

Now on for the fun part and what you all have been waiting for.

Step 1.
This Picture below shows the Feed Line, Return Line and Bypass hose/Radiator Cooler delete.While laying under the titan.
-Green Zip Ties indicate the Feed Line that is run up to the metal hard line on passenger side of the radiator. In my modification the Feed Line leaves transmission, goes to metal hardline on passenger side of radiator. Then from there, upwards towards the factory Transcooler sandwiched between the radiator and condensor.

-Red Zip Ties Indicates the Return Line. This line is NOT removed or modified during this install.

-Yellow Zip Ties<(yellow) indicate the factory Radiator cooler inlet/outlets. I used hose to cap off the inlet/outlets. Otherwise, you can use 3/8 Vacuum caps.
You have now successfully bypassed the radiator cooler.

Step 2
Pictures below shows the installation of the Transcooler and the routing of the feed and return lines from the Long Tru Cool Transmission cooler.
-Green Tape indicates the ''Feed" Hard line coming from the factory trans cooler. This line you connect the new 5/16 hose too.

-Green Zip Ties indicate the new 5/16 hose that is connected to the RIGHT side of the Long Tru Cooler (if facing from front). This line is also connected to the bottom part of the hardline with green tape.

-Red Zip Ties indicate the return line on the LEFT side of the Long Tru Cooler running back down to the transmission.
In OEM setup. The Green Taped hard line is connected to the Red Zip Tied hose. You will notice this once you commence the install.

The Final Pictures show complete installation of the Long Tru Cool SR4588 Transmission Cooler. Enjoy the fact of knowing now you will run lower trans temps in hot climates and over all. Also, no more worries of faulty radiator trans cooler leaking.

I think the time it took me to make this thread and upload the pictures to photobucket and on here was longer than the actual install of the Trans Cooler lol.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
What an incredibly good write up. Thank you! :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What an incredibly good write up. Thank you! :)
Thank you. I searched this forum and other titan forums for this particular modification and I only found a couple that had pictures and installation notes. They still were a little confusing as one couldn't tell which lines were routed where. So I decided to color the feed/return lines so people could have a better understanding when doing this install and not feel as intimidated.

I'm a big fan of details when it comes to mods even if it is simple as changing a headlight bulb to a more difficult install such as headers.

·
Registered
309 Posts
RBsTitan had a good write up when he did his. I like the color coding of the hoses. That was a good idea!
Why did you bypass the radiator?

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Bypassing the Radiator eliminates the threat of an Internal Rad failure causing the Coolant to get into the Transmission Line and destroying the Transmission. A few have had this happen. Not unique to the Titan by any means though.

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
Good details! Its a great mod adding the coolerand especially so in hot areas of the country.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd do it. I had the same thing happen to my 4runner just recently. Tranny and cooling system was full of "strawberry milkshake" ( coolant and atf mixed ). What a PITA to flush everything out, and the tranny most likely be done in near future anyway...

·
Registered
746 Posts
I installed mine a few months ago and it works great. I used RB's write up, but this write up is good too because you color coded the hoses. Good job.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Same here... I installed the external cooler, following RB's direction's & came out great. I haven't done the internal cooler bypass yet though. I think i'm going to get an all aluminum rad. here soon.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Good right up. Just getting ready to install mine in the next day or two, time permitting.
Sort a pain in the d$#k for a color blind guy haha!
Thank you for the write up!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Got the cooler installed, working good.
Picked up a QT of Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle.
Was going to change it but decided to wait until another day, I will be buying the Castrol and running it along w/ a additive from Lubegard.
After a 20mi round trip in 95* heat she was @ 165.

Just peace of mind having the radiator by-passed, I hope all of you consider doing this, or have someone do it for you, a simple $60+/- cooler can save you $2000+/- down the road.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just another follow up.
Second day running cooler, temps are around 96*-98*, took the truck for a 10 MI round trip today and honed on her pretty good, checked trans temp and was @ 162*

As I said before I plan on doing a drain and refill w/ Castrol Import multi-vehicle and putting some http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-113/LUBEGARD+Platinum+Universal+ATF+Protectant in it.
We did a transmission job in a '06 Pathfinder that the radiator failed and the woman drove it until the vehicle would no longer move.
Needless to say everything was replaced in the transmission, the engine was flushed multiple times and on our fresh rebuild we added this in w/ the ATF.

Hope everybody reads this post and is aware of the radiator failures and does a cheap fix.

-Jared

·
Registered
384 Posts
I installled mine about 2 years ago. Autometer gauge reads 15* cooler now. I recently realized I used 5/16" fuel line. Big mitstake. That stuff is only rated to like 50 psi. Replaced them with Dayco transmission hose rated to 250 psi. Glad I didnt burst a line and ruin my tranny. FWIW, if you used fuel line. REPLACE IT.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm glad you guys have done this mod, spending 60-80 bucks and an hour or so of your time can save you thousands later. Lol sorry about the color blind thing, if you were being serious.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Cool tranny

Did mine a few months ago works great, did not bypass original. each to his own no leaks and more fluid how could it be wrong?

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Did mine a few months ago works great, did not bypass original. each to his own no leaks and more fluid how could it be wrong?
Did you bypass the radiator one? I would keep a constant eye on your dipstick watching for coolant mixed w/ your ATF. Or have you installed an aftermarket rad?

·
Registered
332 Posts
No problem so far, but yes my nissan rad went out at about 60,000 could not wait for the stillen so went with a Napa.The all aluminium radiator is on the top of my New Mod's list, so far the napa is cooling fine and it does have a lifetime warranty! Keep that paperwork!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts