Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to switch from a gas guzzling gmc 2500hd 4x4 extended cab with the 8.1 gas engine, 6" superlift, and bfg 315 tires to a titan crew cab 4x4 with offroad package. definately not lifting it or changing tires. hope to have a little better gas mileage.

anyway, if i plan on towing an 18' ski boat maybe one day in the future and a 4-wheeler often in the bed, do i really need the big tow package?

what does the big tow package do to gas mileage? is it possible to get a class IV receiver and the appropriate wiring without going with the big tow? i want it to come standard nissan, not 3rd party after i have the truck...

·
Registered
33 Posts
IMO the Big Tow is one of the best packages offered on the Titan. We have/had it on both of ours.

Even though you currently only 'forsee' a 18' boat...got friends with bigger one or someone with a travel trailer under 28ft you may want to borrow for a trip?

Also the Nissan setup as it comes is great for your current need. Put your tongue and ball in, plug the lights and go.

The gear ratio difference really doesn't make a big difference in gas milage...we have gotten 15.6 on the '04 and avg 16.058 after 13k miles on the '05 we now have.

The tranny temp gauge is also built into the cluster and you get the HD battery. All in all, one of the best packages.

Chris

·
Registered
601 Posts
CaliforniaTitan said:
IMO the Big Tow is one of the best packages offered on the Titan. We have/had it on both of ours.

Also the Nissan setup as it comes is great for your current need. Put your tongue and ball in, plug the lights and go.

The tranny temp gauge is also built into the cluster and you get the HD battery. All in all, one of the best packages.

Chris
I agree... For the small price to get it from the factory, it has great benefits.

1. You get everything on your truck, so you don't have to do the aftermarket buy/wait/install it yourself game.
2. Biggest point of jealousy about the Big tow package from my buds with trucks is the tranny temp gauge.
3. Big Tow mirrors ROCK! So much more visibility with these for all the driving you do, towing or not.
4. And the biggest loss for the '05 model year was that on the '04's VDC came as part of the BT package. Now for '05 you have to buy the side curtain airbag package to get VDC.

As for the gear ratio, both the Off-Road and Big Tow packages have the same gear ratio, so that is a wash.

Overall, I suggest spending the extra few hundred and getting everything stock like you said.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I thought you could only get off road package with the big tow package. But it is worth it for the goodies you get and the boost in resale value. Nice to have the temp gauge in the cluster and not an after market one on the dash or pillar. The bigger battery is good too as the Titan leaves the curtesy lights on for a long time( at least with the LE trim). Also nice to have the hitch and wiring warantied by Nissan. 8) If he gets the offroad package it should have the E-locker and not VDC.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Exactly what they all said. It is a nice thought-out option package.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Agree with every post here, and I have yet to tow with mine. I am getting right at 15mpg with 50/50 driving.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
great responses guys. thanks for the info. yes, i'll be getting an '05 just as soon as my lifted gmc 2500hd sells. got a guy looking at it tomorrow.

what i plan on buying...
2005 nissan titan crew cab 4x4 LE
blizzard white
charcoal leather interior
offroad package
big tow package
navigation package

can't wait!

·
Registered
54 Posts
As much as I like my truck................

we bought our titan just for pulling our 26' trailer. it weights in at 6000lbs when empty. The truck pulls it great. HOWEVER, dont think you'll be getting good MPG with the truck. it has lots and I mean lots of power. but power comes at a price. when we pull our trailer we get from 7.5 to 8.5 MPG. YUCK. I do however only have 3600 miles on the truck and hope it get better. only time will tell.
at almost $2.00 a gal and $50 fill ups and 200 miles between fill ups it coast a lot for long trips.
We have had 5 RV's and all the others got from high 9's to almost 12 MPG while towing. This truck is the worst as far as MPG but also is the most powerfull!!
IMHO if you want a powerfull truck that can pull alot and have lots of room buy the titan. if you want better MPG buy somthing different.
Greg from mi

Sc0rp10n said:
looking to switch from a gas guzzling gmc 2500hd 4x4 extended cab with the 8.1 gas engine, 6" superlift, and bfg 315 tires to a titan crew cab 4x4 with offroad package. definately not lifting it or changing tires. hope to have a little better gas mileage.

anyway, if i plan on towing an 18' ski boat maybe one day in the future and a 4-wheeler often in the bed, do i really need the big tow package?

what does the big tow package do to gas mileage? is it possible to get a class IV receiver and the appropriate wiring without going with the big tow? i want it to come standard nissan, not 3rd party after i have the truck...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Sc0rp10n said:

This may not matter to you but, you may want to check to make sure your 4weeler will fit in the bed of a CC Titan. I don't think most will fit unless you leave the tailgate down. Just a thought. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts