Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted this over at TT just now, but would REALLY appreciate some input from you guys here, as well.

Got my Flow kit yesterday from Summit. I would have it on by now, but the idiot who "mongo'd" the flange nuts on at the rearward cats and the tailpipe flanges prevented that from happening.....aargh! He must have used an impact when installing my current exhaust system. I should have soaked the nuts overnight, instead of for a couple hours. Even my electric impact wouldn't loosen them......I was afraid of snappin them off. So I guess I soak them again, overnight this time, and try again tomorrow. If that don't do it, well I guess I'm takin it to a shop, as I don't have the time or energy to mess with it all weekend.

Any ideas on loosening these stubborn sob's?? I've always used Liquid Wrench, and/or torch heat, and had good results with it until now. Haven't actually hit it with my torch yet, but that may happen tomorrow. Hek, the bolts are not even corroded....truck only has 5700 mi on it. Thanks, guys...

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
I always use heat when possible!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wish I had taken my torch with me to my buddy's house where I was doing this job! I figured.....how stubborn could they be on such a new truck?? Looks like I'll be smokin em tomorrow..... 8)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
smoothtitan said:
jerk out the ol cheater bar. can cause busted knuckles and/or breakage. but it works.
Yeah, problem is, these are only a 14mm nut/bolt, so it's pretty easy to bust one with a breaker bar....which would then be followed by the busted nuckles!! :cry:

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
Mine were very tight, but not corroded. When they broke loose, they screwed off with my fingers. Be sure you have a good socket and put the beef to 'em.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fire did the trick. That, and the special fluted sockets I got from Sears for removing rounded off nuts/bolts. I only rounded one of them, but these sockets are great for any bolt cause they really dig in. Also let them soak overnight. Now.....back to my buddy's to hopefully finish the install. Thanks, guys....

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Hey Rocky... Looking forward to hearing how the install goes. I remember my flange bolts being tight but was able to get them off using the wrench alone. Use my pic of the left-side pipe hanger in case the instructions confuse you about how to piece all the hanger parts together.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Caltitan said:
Hey Rocky... Looking forward to hearing how the install goes. I remember my flange bolts being tight but was able to get them off using the wrench alone. Use my pic of the left-side pipe hanger in case the instructions confuse you about how to piece all the hanger parts together.
Flow kit is in! Finished about 2 hrs ago.....looks and sounds great. In the cab sounds about the same as my AeroTurbine w/ MF reso setup. Slight drone....maybe slightly more than stock, but not bad at all. Power feels about the same as my old setup, but still too soon to tell. I'll dyno again after I do the Volant and Airaid TB spacer.

Thanks, Caltitan.....that pic you posted for us showing the driver-side rear hanger really helped me a lot.....you should send it to Flowmaster and have them include it in their rather lame instructions....lol!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts