Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was messing around with the truck this evening and started taking the front trim apart to prep for adding the XM module to the AVIC-Z2 that came in the truck and to install my brake controller.

Initially I was looking at the lower metal bar near the OBD-II port, but IMO that's too low and there's the possibility of hitting the controller with your shin.

Then I got to looking at the left switch area which in my truck was unused. Turns out it's a perfect fit. I removed the black bracket that holds the 3 dummy switches, then cut out th two center bars. Then I cut the two center bars out of the trim panel and then re-installed the black bracket. After that the brake controler slid in 100% snug such that it didn't need any extra support or connecting.

The downside is I'll have to buy a spare trimp panel and switch insert to return the truck to stock should I ever want to sell it, but that's very minor IMO to having the ideal brake controller install :eyebrow:

-Brian

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Looks great! Just be sure it's situated in such a way that you can easily hit the manual brake switch in needed. In your case you have to do it left handed. I installed mine on the right side near my knee. I've learned not to hit it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can access it more easily than having it down low on that metal beam. On my Canyon I was able to mount it in the middle out of the way, but on my father's '06 F-150 we mounted it low in the "standard" area and I just didn't like how low it was and how close my shin always got to it. To change anything or hit the manual switch you had to bend over.

Here's my Canyon for reference... a bit hard to see but it's right under the HVAC controls. But in that truck it was a custom install becuase I had to do a full 7-pin wire (truck only came 4-pin from GM).

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
That looks fantastic! I put mine at the lower metal bar near the OBD-II port and it does not create any problems for me, but I like your install much better.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the compliment. I took it apart after taking those pics to smooth out the upper edge of the opening. I didn't notice the two remaining "nubs" until I uploaded the pics. It's 100% smooth now.

IMO it looks like it could have come from NIssan this way :)

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I have switches in that location in my truck though. Otherwise I could get used to using my left hand on the controller.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FWIW if you get a load sensing controller like this valley or a Tekonsha you rarely have to touch the controller other then dial in the brakes when getting on the road if you haven't towed your trailer in awhile.

I'm not sure if they even make the old type controllers anymore.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now that I think about it, I could have moved my tow/haul switch over and put the controller in the center. I'd rather have it in the center than the left, but that would require cutting up a main dash panel which is most likely more expensive than the lower left panel I trimmed.

EDIT: But that's not much higher than the under-dash steel bar and it's more of a reach too.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I have the Prodigy controller and true, you really don't have to tough it....other than to active the trailer brakes only for whatever reason. Most of these controllers can be mounted up to a 70 degree angle which helps in choosing a spot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts