Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are you guys using for engine oil.. i was thinking bout runnin royal purple or something but might not really be necessary.. lemme know

·
Registered
746 Posts
I have been using Royal Purple in my motor and rear differential. Works fine.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Yah gata get some of that purple stuff:p

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Pennzoil Platinum or that new Ultra.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Anything fully synthetic is a step up to the top. I don't believe they differ enough to really worry about which one. Whichever is on sale is probably fine. I use Mobil1 because it's the easiest to get and goes on sale often. But if you want to use Royal Purple, go for it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I too use Mobil 1. I do use the extended performance oil and filter (1 year or 15k miles) and change it about every 9 months because I drive only 7 miles to work with speeds that do not exceed 45 mph. Also I use 93 fuel in my truck because it is a FFV.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I've been using Royal Purple for more than 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
153 Posts
welcome aboard. you can't go wrong with any of the good stuff as long as you keep an eye on your truck for the normal wear and tear. the better you are on your maintenance the better your truck will be on you

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Wow, 7 replies and no oil-brand holy war has broken out yet. We must be mellowing out. :)

I use AMSoil 0w-30 synthetic in the engine. Wonderful stuff. I order mine online.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I really don't think there is a bad oil out there anymore, and it just keeps getting better. API service SN oil is starting to hit the shelves now which is the next big step up in oil quality.

If your truck is new, I would not rush into a synthetic oil. I went synthetic at under 4000 miles, and analysis of my used oil showed that my engine took almost 50,000 miles to completely break in, which is the point in which wear metals numbers drop off and level out. People who waited till the 10,000 to 20,000 mile range before switching over to syn oils had already started to level off. Did I hurt my engine? I don't know. 93,000 miles and it still seems fine though. Maybe a little less power.

·
Registered
61 Posts
:thumbsup-big::thumbsup-big:
Wow, 7 replies and no oil-brand holy war has broken out yet. We must be mellowing out. :)

I use AMSoil 0w-30 synthetic in the engine. Wonderful stuff. I order mine online.

What YOU MUST BE A REP OR A DEALER TO USE AMSOIL. I cant belive you would try to sell that crap on here.

Sory, Had too. JUST KIDDING AROUND. Amsoil is a very good oil....................................................................................................................................................................................................................ROYAL PURPLE IS BETTER THOUGH. lol

·
Registered
824 Posts
ROYAL PURPLE ? Who would buy an oil just because of the color, yeah you knew it sooner or later an AMSOIL dealer would pop in, but I won't get dragged into this debate. IMO as long as you use synthetics, you will never have a problem, some like to read all the tests, and as I have found out, some don't. I use what has done me the best in all my years in my engines, from air cooled Harleys, to regular combustion engine trucks/cars. I have my oil analyzed each and every change, it's not for everyone, but for me I do it. Most know my Harley went 105K and had only .001 cylinder taper, for me that's a testament to the protection of my particular brand. Buy what's on sale, or whatever you want to use. Just stay synthetic if you plan on keeping the T for a period of time. Yes petroleums will do the job too with regular changes, but they will leave more deposits over time by far than a synthetic due to the purity factor in petroleums vs. synthetics and the burn off ratio of each. Synthetics are far superior, no matter what brand, than a petroleum based product. Just make sure the basestock of the synthetic is a PAO or Group IV, and not some hydrocracked petroleum product that legally then can call a synthetic, but it is still mineral based. HRTKD, I am behind ya on this one, got yer back LOL. Oh yeah, wasn't it Royal Purple that got sued for making false claims on their oils? Hmmm yep it sure was................ yeah I couldn't resist either. http://www.imakenews.com/eletra/mod_print_view.cfm?this_id=1398592&u=lng&show_issue_date

·
Registered
61 Posts
[email protected] SFtail, you Must have me mistaken for grimsta, Renegade45 or allprocars. Reread, I said Amsoil was a very good oil. Buy yes, I like RP just like you enjoy thr Amsoil. After that little shot, I went back and reread the other oil "discussions" you were involved in, and I will go one further than you did in it. Ready?
Mobil 1----------------very good oil
Amsoil-----------------very good oil
Royal Purple------------very good oil
castrol syntec---------good oil
quaker-----------------good oil
ect.ect.ect.ect.ect.
as long as the interval is maintained, most are good oils.

Royal Purple is Purple, I agree with that statement, It is also a pure synthetic (just like AMSOIL). Didn't mention that did you. and i never said that Amsoil was bad. If you would have looked and read closer. I said JUST KIDDING, and LOL.

Next time i will put a real discaimer before and after my op-ed. just for you.

NO HARM, NO FOUL.

To the original question which was, and i quote "what are you guys using for engine oil.. i was thinking bout runnin royal purple or something but might not really be necessary.. lemme know"

my answer is Royal Purple.

It tastes like grapes too.

DONE.

·
Registered
824 Posts
[email protected] SFtail, you Must have me mistaken for grimsta, Renegade45 or allprocars. Reread, I said Amsoil was a very good oil. Buy yes, I like RP just like you enjoy thr Amsoil. After that little shot, I went back and reread the other oil "discussions" you were involved in, and I will go one further than you did in it. Ready?
Mobil 1----------------very good oil
Amsoil-----------------very good oil
Royal Purple------------very good oil
castrol syntec---------good oil
quaker-----------------good oil
ect.ect.ect.ect.ect.
as long as the interval is maintained, most are good oils.

Royal Purple is Purple, I agree with that statement, It is also a pure synthetic (just like AMSOIL). Didn't mention that did you. and i never said that Amsoil was bad. If you would have looked and read closer. I said JUST KIDDING, and LOL.

Next time i will put a real discaimer before and after my op-ed. just for you.

NO HARM, NO FOUL.

To the original question which was, and i quote "what are you guys using for engine oil.. i was thinking bout runnin royal purple or something but might not really be necessary.. lemme know"

my answer is Royal Purple.

It tastes like grapes too.

DONE.
Wow, read all the oil discussions I was in? Dang, you must have had a lot of spare time on your hands. Some good info in those though. No I didn't think you were taking a shot at Amsoil, I just wanted to hop in there and give back a little to ya, and I was kidding also. All in fun, really to the OP, most oils are very close to the same, the tests, well read them if you want, but for the most part, synthetics are the way to go. I know you didn't say AMSOIL was bad, but ya had to throw that dealer or rep part in there, and that was the hook LOL.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I hear ya. I just like to liven them up a bit. (especially when the search feature isnt used before the question.)

·
Registered
824 Posts
I hear ya. I just like to liven them up a bit. (especially when the search feature isnt used before the question.)
The search would have provided months of reading on oil for the T. Most just want the quick answer, but for myself, yes I have no life and read that stuff while I am on the road working all the time. Worst part for the OP is that, I can send him stuff on oil that will make his head spin reading it, then again, most don't care about the tests ASTM or even the farce of API. 99% of the readers here don't even know what the spec is for the Titan, and the owners manual isn't much help on spec for it, and the only designation they say to use is an SL designated oil:

Only those engine oils with the American Petroleum
Institute (API) CERTIFICATION MARK on
the front of the container should be used. This
type of oil supersedes the existing API SG, SH, or
SJ and Energy Conserving II categories.
If you cannot find engine oil with the API CERTIFICATION MARK, use API grade SL Energy
Conserving oil. An oil with a single designation
SL, or in combination with other categories (for
example, SL/CF) may also be used if one with the
API CERTIFICATION MARK cannot be found. ( I like this part, it allows the use of non-API cert oil as long as it carries the SL, so much for warranty concerns on API cert, straight from the owners manual.)
An ILSAC grade GF-II or GF-III oil can also be used.

That is extremely scary since there are junk oils out there that carry a API certification, kinda like the Harley Syn 3, especially made by the lowest bidder to Harley Davidson.

Just a brief synopsis of what it takes to make oil a bit, in laymans terms so to speak, not trying to sell any oil, just putting info out there for folks to read. https://www.amsoil.com/articlespr/2010/article_all_in_the_mix.aspx

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yup, got a lot of time. Just read the link you gave. there is a lot to learn about oils and lubes. more than anyone would ever want to know.

But all can be found with the search and a little time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts