Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Titan XE 4x4 with the steel rear diff. cover. I have my Mag-Hytec cover and brake cable bracket ready to put on my next oil change. I was looking at the fit of the new cover in place of the old cover. Everything looked ok except for the hard brake line that runs across the back of the original cover. Did you guys have to modify or get a new brake line bent for the rear? In some pics that I have seen it looks like you guys just bent it towards the top of the new cover. Does the hard brake line have that much give?? Here's a pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
494 Posts
A little off topic here but didn't Nissan put out a TSB for the 04 saying that they needed to come in and get the new finned diff cover? If so, it would probably be best to do that first and then install your new cover a little later and sell the finned one to a Frontier/Xterra owner who also has the m226 rear diff.

·
Super Moderator
3,814 Posts
TBS have to be paid for once the warranty has expired, recalls are free.
The mag hytech should relocate the mount for the hard break line. There is enough slack in the hard line to move it with out bending it.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I had to bend my hard brake line a bit to clear the mag-hytec cover on my 05. I would suspect that yo would have to do the same.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mag-Hytec pics

Thanks everyone for the replies. Everything worked out easy. Just make sure you have everything before you start. I ordered 5 Qts thinking I was going to do the front and rear diff. but forgot that the rear takes 4 1/2 by itself. Will order more fluid when I do the oil change. Old fluid came out brown and muddy then turned clear brown towards the end. Took off the old cover and eveything looked good. No metal shavings.

Attachments

·
Registered
824 Posts
That diff has been changed out before right? It has a 4 spider setup in it and still had the steel cover? That is odd since the rear change was in 06 for the spiders and an 04 had a two spider setup. The 06 diffs were coming with the finned cover already. Just curious how you could have a later diff in an 04 and still have the steel cover on it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My diff. was never changed

My sticker says 5/2004 and I never had a diff. problem. I was kind of scared because of all of the diff. problems reported here. This was the first time I changed my fluid out at 41717mi. So the rear diff. internals were changed in later Titans not just the cover?

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
The finned cover came out in mid 2005 and holds two quarts when draining and filling. My May built 2005 came with the finned cover.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Pretty sure the spider diff change was in 06 sometime, the cover I can believe was in 05. but the pics you showed from my view appear to be a 4 spider gear diff unlike the two spider diff.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Original diff

This is the only diff that I have had. I don't know anything about diffs at all (2/4 spider gears). If there's someone out there that can explain it to us I'd appreciate very much. My pics are all above.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts