Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I have an exhaust manifold leak will it throw up a code? What exactly will it sound like if I have a leak? Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
It usually will not throw a code. A cracked manifold will make a clicking or tapping sound that changes frequency with engine RPM, and is most noticed when driving near a building or wall. Many times the sound will lessen as the engine heats up.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The problem is if you get too nitpicky with searching for suspicious sounds, you might think you have an exhaust leak when in fact it may be just the injectors or perhaps a clogged Evap control valve.

What I'd like to really know is how the stealership techs are checking the exhaust manifolds to verify if they have cracks in them. I tried looking myself, but the heatshields seem to cover everything up. However, I don't think the techs are removing the heatsheilds when they check for manifold cracks. They must be doing something else.

I wish I knew their secret.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, yesterday when I was driving and I gunned it from around 20mph to 40ishmph I heard a ticking/clicking noise on the passenger side of the truck. So when I pulled it in to the garage I revved the engine to around 3.5 rpm and heard nothing.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Was it still cold when you romped on it? If not, it may not be a manifold leak. If the crack is big enough, it'll open and close depending on engine temperature and load.

Mine doesn't tick/click like that, so you definitely have something that's not right. I'd just bring it in and pay the diagnostic fee to have them look at it That way, you'll know for sure if it's the infamous cracked manifold/s or not.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It wasn't cold, I had drove it for about and hour then it sat for around thirty minutes, then drove again for 15 min before I got on it a little when I heard the noise. It may not be anything, the noise isn't that loud. It may be the muffler since the muffler that I have on it is a used Magnaflow.(around 40,000 miles on it)

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I drove a forum members Titan that had cracked manifolds, and it was very noticeable with the engine at operating temp and moderately accelerating. Revving it in park wasn't that noticeable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts