Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I completed the install of my new Mile Marker winch mount and 9500 lb winch on my 2007 Titan LE Crew Cab. Since I had some interesting challenges that came up during the install I put together a set of instructions that can be found on my web site at
http://www.egansonline.com/WinchInstall/WinchInstall.html.

I believe that this winch mount is the same one used by Transformer and Spody.

I still have a couple of tweaks to do on the page but it is 99% done. The full size versions of the pictures won't be available right away.

Attached is a picture of the end result.

Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
HRTKD said:
I completed the install of my new Mile Marker winch mount and 9500 lb winch on my 2007 Titan LE Crew Cab. Since I had some interesting challenges that came up during the install I put together a set of instructions that can be found on my web site at
http://www.egansonline.com/WinchInstall/WinchInstall.html.

I believe that this winch mount is the same one used by Transformer and Spody.

I still have a couple of tweaks to do on the page but it is 99% done. The full size versions of the pictures won't be available right away.

Attached is a picture of the end result.

Jim
Very nice Jim ... Yes .. that is the one that John,Spoody and I have ..and I just LOVE mine. Great job man !!

The writeup is SPECTACULAR !! This is gonna be a HUGE help to those who follow suite and purchase this same setup. I'm not sure I have ever seen such a detailed writeup b4 (with pictures to boot). Again, awesome job Jim.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Re: Winch

Excellent write up. I encountered many of the same issues you did during the install with the exception of the need for longer bolts for the tow hooks. Its been a long time since the install so I don't remember for sure, but I believe they were included in the bolt kit. Either that or I had bought longer ones back when I had the Bull Bar on.

Here's the link to my write up back from July.

http://www.clubtitan.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16956&highlight=winch+mount+brush+guard

How does your MM winch do on free spool? I had their SI12000 winch and it had a defect and wouldn't free spool without a LOT of tension being put on it. Took 2-3 guys to pull out the cable. MM was totally cool about it and gave me a full refund, which I applied towards a Warn 9.5ti.

From everyone I talked to, my winch problems were uncommon. MM makes a good product. I just got a bad one I think.

I've had mine up and running for 9 months now and it works like a champ. Even under extremely hard, double line pulls, the guard doesn't budge, groan or seem to be bothered at all.

Enjoy!!!!

Regards,

John

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
JohnHarden said:
Excellent write up. I encountered many of the same issues you did during the install with the exception of the need for longer bolts for the tow hooks. Its been a long time since the install so I don't remember for sure, but I believe they were included in the bolt kit. Either that or I had bought longer ones back when I had the Bull Bar on.

http://www.clubtitan.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16956&highlight=winch+mount+brush+guard

How does your MM winch do on free spool? I had their SI12000 winch and it had a defect and wouldn't free spool without a LOT of tension being put on it. Took 2-3 guys to pull out the cable. MM was totally cool about it and gave me a full refund, which I applied towards a Warn 9.5ti.

From everyone I talked to, my winch problems were uncommon. MM makes a good product. I just got a bad one I think.

I've had mine up and running for 9 months now and it works like a champ. Even under extremely hard, double line pulls, the guard doesn't budge, groan or seem to be bothered at all.

Enjoy!!!!

Regards,

John
Your writeup was awesome as well John. Heck, it was your post and writeup that got me so jazzed to order this item.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JohnHarden said:

John
Ah, so you're the one whose truck is on the 4x4parts web site! Nice looking truck. While I laughed when I looked at the enlarged picture and saw the allen wrench off to the side I knew right away once I saw the winch mount on your truck that it was exactly what I was looking for.

The free spool has me a bit concerned. It is difficult. Part of the problem might be the operator though. I only weigh in at 160 soaking wet so I don't exactly exert a lot of force all by myself. I think I'll unwind it all the way another couple of times and see if that loosens it up.

I am glad to hear that you haven't had any problems winching large stuff. The way those bolts went in for me I was kind of worried. They sure do rely on that front crossbeam a lot. I would like to see the lower frame brackets be a bit longer and go into a third hole further back on the frame.

My Titan gets a lot more looks with the winch on the front. I like it!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Transformer said:
Your writeup was awesome as well John. Heck, it was your post and writeup that got me so jazzed to order this item.
Man that winch w/ color matched mount looks great. Where did you get the chrome liners for the fog lights?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Re: Winch

Yeah, that's my truck on their website. I've bought a lot from those guys, and they're great to deal with. They're the folks who did all the leg work to figure out which ORU/Defender roof rack and mounting system would work on our Titan's.

That MM winch I owned worked great except for that free spool issue. It was so tough that I just powered out all the time, which generates a LOT of heat on the winch drum and isn't good for synthetic winch line, so I just returned it. With the Warn, you can just pull it out hand over hand without too much trouble and I'm not a big guy either.

If yours remains tough to unspool, you might contact MM. They tried to fix mine by sending out a new clutch handle that was machined differently. They said that was the fix but it didn't help my situation.

You really think the design of the mounting system relies on that cross member? I didn't think so. From how wide the side plates are, I thought most of the load was on the mounting points at the bottom. I'm no engineer by any stretch, but it looked to me that the two straps that attach to that cross member are really only there to provide some additional stiffening up high to resist torquing the bottom mount points too much.

I talked to the guys at MM about it before I made the purchase and they said it took them a long time to fab it up in a way that it would handle the stresses of a 12,000 lb. winch. They tested the heck out of it with no problems.

You gonna add a light bar across the front of yours? Spody and I both did and it works pretty good. I really like having the two, extra offroad lights up high there on the winch mount. Something to think about.

Good luck with your new setup and let us know how you like using it!!!

Regards,

John

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JohnHarden said:
You really think the design of the mounting system relies on that cross member? I didn't think so. From how wide the side plates are, I thought most of the load was on the mounting points at the bottom. I'm no engineer by any stretch, but it looked to me that the two straps that attach to that cross member are really only there to provide some additional stiffening up high to resist torquing the bottom mount points too much.
Absolutely concerned. Three of the Four bolts that attach the brackets to the frame are on that crossmember.

JohnHarden said:
I talked to the guys at MM about it before I made the purchase and they said it took them a long time to fab it up in a way that it would handle the stresses of a 12,000 lb. winch. They tested the heck out of it with no problems.
That is reassuring.

JohnHarden said:
You gonna add a light bar across the front of yours? Spody and I both did and it works pretty good. I really like having the two, extra offroad lights up high there on the winch mount. Something to think about.
I'm thinking about it. I'm not looking forward to drilling into the winch mount again. That was a lot of work. I'm also not sure where the heck I'm going to put a switch in the cab. I'm out of open/blank switch spots so it will have to go in a spot that a switch doesn't normally go in.

Any recommendations on off-road lights? When I was in high school KC Hi-lites were the most popular. But I suppose now I can afford better quality. <g>

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
baseballfanz said:
Hey Kurk, check out this winch with the blue rope.
Is that the Big Ford. I think NascarJody just sent me the link last night to this truck. Does it have some blue on the side of the truck with blue coils ? If this is the same truck that is spooky (lol). You did give me an idea. My rollers need to be sent to Space Coast Plating for the high end chrome look .. like my Skidplate

Attachments

·
Registered
641 Posts
What now???

so once you have the winch what do you do with it... pull F150's out ditches? Drag 50ft blue spruces home for Christmas trees?

Hey BB was that the guy who had his truck stolen?

·
SHIFT_Mr. Quick Answers
11,110 Posts
whirichardson said:
so once you have the winch what do you do with it... pull F150's out ditches? Drag 50ft blue spruces home for Christmas trees?

Hey BB was that the guy who had his truck stolen?
Yup, that's him. He has since built a new truck.
http://www.truckblog.com/project/jakd.asp

·
Registered
84 Posts

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
whirichardson said:
so once you have the winch what do you do with it... pull F150's out ditches? Drag 50ft blue spruces home for Christmas trees?quote]

In the Denver area we had a buttload of snow from December to February. I lost track at 12 the number of people I pulled out of snow banks or whatever. I used a tow rope attached to my '91 Ford Ranger pickup for that and sometimes the ranger just didn't have enough weight. Like the time I pulled a suburban out of 18" of snow. I had to jerk them out instead of just doing a straight power pull. With the winch I should be able to get my Titan on a spot where there is good traction and I just hook up the winch and pull them out slowly. No jerking or spinning the tires.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Re: Winch mount

I don't know about Spody, but the bar I had installed was welded on and had tabs welded onto it that the lights are mounted to. Works great and no drilling required. I can send you a pic if you want.

I have eight offroad lights on the truck, so I went with KC's, which are inexpensive. My truck is 7'6" tall with the roof rack, and can't fit in the garage, so it sits outside all the time. HID's would use draw fewer amps, but they are expensive, and I'd rather not have them stolen. The only significant advantage to them is the lower current draw for the same amount of lumens. If someone swipes my sealed beam or halogen lights, I'm not out that much money. I'm also concerned about them getting broken by tree limbs while offroading. Just about broke one on Saturday. There are four, 130w Daylighters on the roof rack and I think they were $125 for two or something like that.

I use sealed beam, 385,000 candlepower Daylighter spots mounted to the winch cross bar. These put out a TON of light and I really like them. I have the LE and like you, there are no spots on the dash to mount the switch. I just mounted the individual KC switches at the bottom of the dash right under the steering wheel. Just screw them up into the 1" wide lip and they sit nice and flush with the front/bottom of the dash. If you ever remove them, you'll not see any holes since the two screw holes that hold the switch are up under the lip of the dash.

Take a look and you'll probably see what I mean. I've also seen pics of guys who are seriously into stereos and amps, who have mounted some really cool looking switch setups. Mine ain't fancy like that, but it works.

It seems that every other time I go offroading I use the winch. Usually to free someone else we happen across and occasionally myself. There are pictures on here of me and some other forum members who went mudding and go stuck in mud halfway up the wheel wells. As some guys say, it ain't fun if you don't get stuck!! :) Lot's of fun!!

Regards,

John

"Like the time I pulled a suburban out of 18" of snow. I had to jerk them out instead of just doing a straight power pull. With the winch I should be able to get my Titan on a spot where there is good traction and I just hook up the winch and pull them out slowly. No jerking or spinning the tires."

I agree with you 100%. Since the winch has been installed, I haven't strapped a single vehicle out. Recovery ropes and straps use the built up kinetic energy of the stretch to snatch vehicles free. That is a LOT of forces in play. Winching is slow and steady and smooth.

I strapped out a Bronco once that was horribly stuck, halfway off the trail. I had to jerk her truck 4 or 5 times to finally get it out. Six months later and I freed a stuck Ram in mud halfway up his door and he came out nice and slow with the winch. I'd have broke the strap trying to snatch him out.

I hate strapping now and will only use it if our vehicles are positioned as such that I have no other choice.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts