Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my Titan three weeks ago...lovin it so far! Just wanted to know what you guys are averaging for miles per gallon with the 305HP V8 in a 4x4? I am only getting about 9 after my first three fill ups and getting a tad concerned...if its normal then I'll deal with it...if everyone else is getting the quoted 14-19, then I gotta do something...suggestions?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've got a 4X2 that I've had about three weeks. I'm getting around 13.5 to 14 MPG.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
HI eee and welcome to the forum!!

There's been quite a bit if discussion in the past concerning gas mileage, or the lack thereof. There really hasn't been anything conclusive with this topic because there are some who get the 9 your getting and some who are getting upper teens. There's a bunch of variables that enter into it such as 4x4 and 4x2, cold weather, winter fuel formulas, your own personal driving habits, etc. etc.

I would wait a little while and get a few miles on it before thinking about going to the dealer. You "should" be able to get at least in the lower teens such as 13 or 14. Give it some time and miles and then see if it improves. It should get better.

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Hey eee, welcome. I agree with m4ck, a little too soon to get real concerned. I would wait untill you have at least 3000 miles, and if your in the North area, we get off the winter mix fuel. I noticed a big decrease in gas mileage when they changed the fuel over! I have the 4X4, and was getting 14 to 15 mpg before the change.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have been averageing 13 in town. This is with cold weather my trailblazer 4.2 I6 in the same conditions got 14 so its about what I expected. I think the hardest thing to do is keep your foot outta it the tip in takes some time to finnese. My mileage was about 10 the first couple tanks.

·
Registered
235 Posts
i dunno i have the 4x2 and the first day i had it i put over 100 miles on it and had only burned a lil more than a quarter tank, now i burn through gas, like probably around 9mpg, i live in florida so i dont think its cold weather, maybe just crappy gas, lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 16K on my 2wd. So far, I get 14 sitting on the DC Beltway, 18 driving long-haul empty, and 10 in tow mode pulling a 4000 trailer.

I've found applying less pressure with my right foot has done wonders for MPG. :D

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Well, first off welcome to you new guys!

I've just turned 10000 miles and average (consistantly) 15.3-15.8. Have gotten as good as 19.2 and as bad as 13.4.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
well right now because of the cold weather and the winter gas im only gettin 10 mpg. in the summer on highway i get about 17-17.5mpg. mileage did go up after intake and exaust went on :D

·
SHIFT_I did it the hard way... I earned it.
4,341 Posts
Steady 12-13 mpg. Makes me cry every time I go to the pump. Tears dry up when the ignition fires up again, though.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I usually get 18-19.5 unless I get into it and then it drops to 12-14. I noticed that depending on the gas brands I got more. Cheap gas got me crappy mileage. Mine seems to run best on Shell. I realize that some disagree or know more about this subject than I do...Just my .02.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I'm getting around 13mpg (winter gas too) and I have about 2.5kmi and I'm happy with that. I expect it will get alittle better with more mileage. My company car, a Jeep Liberty with the 3.7L V6, only gets 15-16mpg and that has 40kmi on it and that's 95% highway mileage. :D I actually hate driving that thing knowing the Titan sits home in the garage. But putting 30kmi a year on, I'll let my work pay for that!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Just a little news, some of us already know this. The greater volume of metanol above 10.3% the lower our mileage will be. I have been doing self testing with the different gas we have in the Salem area and have found that Chevron gas has the lowest per volume of metanol and I get 15.6 to 21 on that Chevron gas, The cheap gas from Arco and the likes with 12 to 18% metanol, I got an average of 10.3. Last tank of Arco gas 8.4 I came apart. Anyway I did this for 4 weeks at an average of 22 gal. per week. last week went up to 32 gal. No fancy school'n here just good old fashoned rite it da~n'. Yep, maybe lil' more s'pesive buts'worthit t' me. HEHEHE :lol:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mileage

I had my Titan for about 3 weeks now and averaging between 14 and 15 MPG. This is mixed driving, no need to use the 4 x 4. Since I only have 1100 miles on it and breaking it in, I try to keep it under 2000 RPM. Eddie

·
Registered
42 Posts
Here's my history. This 5.6 definitely lets you know when you have a heavy foot. I got my worst mileage the tank after I put on my exhaust, so I took it reeeaaal easy on my next tank, then back to normal driving.

I hope I'm not the only geek to track and graph every tank. I know, therapy is available...

·
Registered
211 Posts
hey talkslow...that is a sweet system. Is there anyway I can get a copy of your template? That is done in Excel from the looks. I haven't yet got that detailed...but I like...I like.

BTW...I get right at 14 mpg in the city and 16-17 on road trips.

Anyone experiment with different octanes? Some cars get a littlt bit better mileage with higher octane...but you have to offset the price to make it worth the while.

·
Registered
235 Posts
to fill tank from 1/8... $41.05 at $1.85/gal from full to half tank=175miles, assuming that each 1/4 tank is equal, then 1/4 tank = 7gal, 14gal=175miles roughly 12.5miles/gal, average temperature for the past 2 weeks 40-50 degrees

many people have said that the last 1/4 tank is 12 gallons, if this is true then 28-12=16 16/3=5.3 then from full to half=175miles 10.6galons=175miles aproximately 16.5 mi/ gal

i dunno which is right but from full to 3/4 tank i get my best gas mileage... my last 1/4 tank goes down really fast so i doubt its 12gallons.

all of this testing was done feathering the petal with the occasional blast to get away from idiot drivers like the lady that blindly tryed to get in my lane while i was directly beside her.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Seems like..................

mine works the other way. I've had time I thought " I better get gas I'm below 1/4 of a tank onlt to find I had 12 gal left. Mine drops fast at the start. every car or truck I've ever had befor drops slow from full. my titan drops fast. When I pull our trailer I get 7.5 to 8.5 MPG. From a full tank I'm half way between fulll and 3/4 in 12 miles. it then slows down. of course weather it drops fast or slow. 8 MPG is 8MPG
Greg from Mi.

shift said:
to fill tank from 1/8... $41.05 at $1.85/gal from full to half tank=175miles, assuming that each 1/4 tank is equal, then 1/4 tank = 7gal, 14gal=175miles roughly 12.5miles/gal, average temperature for the past 2 weeks 40-50 degrees

many people have said that the last 1/4 tank is 12 gallons, if this is true then 28-12=16 16/3=5.3 then from full to half=175miles 10.6galons=175miles aproximately 16.5 mi/ gal

i dunno which is right but from full to 3/4 tank i get my best gas mileage... my last 1/4 tank goes down really fast so i doubt its 12gallons.

all of this testing was done feathering the petal with the occasional blast to get away from idiot drivers like the lady that blindly tryed to get in my lane while i was directly beside her.

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
I live in Texas and I've driven my Titan to Virginia twice and SC once. My experiences show that the last quarter tank is not equal to the rest. I haven't looked, but I know a lot of times the bottom of the tank will curve causing the faster reduction on the last bit of gas. It's kinda disturbing.

On the interestate (milking it), I get 100 miles from first qtr...and right at another 100 miles at the second qtr (200 at half tank). You would think this would continue...but I only end up getting 150 miles out of the last half of the tank. :roll:

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I hope I'm not the only geek to track and graph every tank. I know, therapy is available...

There's Gotta be a little GEEK in ALL of us, to be spending our evenings in the Forum!

No Worries! I liked the Graph!
(...it looks like the one I was going to make! - Procratination, that's what I'm good at!) :lol: 8O [/quote]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts