Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a long mellow trip up to my hunting club today, about 40 miles each way. No offroading (snowbanks way too deep to go through) I only put it in 4 high once to park on the side of the road. I've been noticing a slight 'thunk' from the back on takeoff and corners, but I didn't pinpoint it and wasn't really too concerned about it until today. It musta been on it's way out.

I've really been babying it the last 2 weeks for mileage. I got back into town and filled up with another alltime high mileage (for me anyway). I juiced it at a stop sign and 'boom boom boom' huh??? I was hoping it's wheelhop but sorta knew better. I only had 2 blocks to go (luckily) and it was grindin' and thumpin' around corners. Bad news. I looked underneath, everything looks ok. Jacked it up and checked for loose lugnuts. Nuthin. Tested it out again and it's bad. Really bad. This Kinda sucks.

I have 3700 miles on, had the rear checked at 1,000 miles. It needed to be topped off. I wanted to change it to synthetic but had none, so I put the conventional stuff in. It looked ok. Even today the rear is not hot to touch. I'm thinking a chipped ring or pinion or a clutch is bad. It only does it on turns or fast takeoff and roughly 3 bad clunks for every tire rotation. Does it turning left or right, forward and reverse.

I don't think I'm even gonna chance driving this to the dealer. They are gonna have to come and pick it up and maybe bring me a loaner. sheeeeeeeeeeeit!!!!!!!!!

Oh well. I'm kinda dissapointed. This should not be. :( :( :(

Chief

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
bummer man! Keep us updated.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Dude, that eats it. Two folks in salem have had their rear axles changed. Bill @ the service center told me they just went like you discribed. Still SUCKS. The new axle will have better gear oil in it. I still have to change mine with 90/140 or 85/100 synthetic I haven't made up my mind, need to though I am pushing 10,000 today.

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
Man that sucks. I hope you have a good service department like most here seem to have and they get her fixed up for ya quick. Like everyone said keep us posted.
good luck
M4ck

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys/Gals.

Just Great to be able to get on here and share the pain :D . I just had to let it out with someone who would understand.

It's good to know that others have had the same problem, I was just reading about it on our sisterboard a few days ago. Well some were saying the rear doesn't really handle things all that well and with all the people having problems they should put a bigger rear on. Up until today I didn't really know of this happening to anyone.

My wife said I should be more careful with it. I'm thinking if I was more careful with it, it would have happened at 36,000 miles instead of 3,600 miles which isn't good warranty wise. If they replace it with the same one it just might happen a few more times if ya' know what I mean.

Luckily I just aquired an old van that I was working on, I suppose the work may have to wait as I may be driving it. Also I'm on a van pool to work, I only drive when I want to, so things are gonna be o.k. I'm fortunate I guess.

The dealer I bought from is very reputable but about 30 miles away. I'm calling them. If they want me to take it to a the dealer that is close to me I'm telling them to arrange it.

Anyone know what the deal is on towing? What about loaners? Maybe I'm at their mercy on this one.

Thanks a Ton !!!!!! You Guys are the Best!!!!!!!!

Chief

PS: I GUESS THIS MEANS I AM GETTING A FREE DIFF CHANGE WITH SYNTHETIC, MAYBE A BIGGER ALUMINUM COVER :?: :?: :?: :D :D :D (I WILL FIGHT FOR IT YA' KNOW)

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Hey Chief, sorry to hear about your diff woes. It's too bad this happened to you. It would be hard to believe that it would be a common event after the 2 Titans I've owned. I can't tell you how many burnouts and foot to the floor take-offs I've done with both of them. All I can theorize is that there must have been a defect in the ring gear or spider gears, more then likely during the casting process. I hope the dealer does you right and you gets you a nice shiny rear diff cover....

·
Registered
721 Posts
Don't know about towing, but as far as loaners go it is up to the dealership. The dealership I bought mine from is a high volume dealer that made it clear up front when I bought my truck that they do not provide loaners. They claim that they do not have the insureance for it.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I asked my service manager a couple weeks ago, who drives an 04 Titan as well, about the rear end problem. He told me he's heard about it on the Internet -- but hasn't seen one at the dealership yet -- and they are a HUGE dealership. They had so many Titans delivered last year, they had to park the overflow at the owner's farm out in the sticks of Virginia. So please Chief, keep us posted... Jim

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm sure they'd put the new cover on, it's cheap enough to do it then.

Clint

·
Registered
493 Posts
m4ck said:
Man that sucks. I hope you have a good service department like most here seem to have and they get her fixed up for ya quick. Like everyone said keep us posted.
good luck
M4ck

** Side note Mack **, got you doing it, to calling her, HER......... :wink:

Cheif, Check your insurance policy it may cover rentals for repairs in the liability side... :learn:

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks JetTech,

I suppose that it's not a common problem, just not unheard of. If the rear was insufficiant then everyone would be dropping them on the pavement. To be honest I'm not too upset about it. It happened, they'll fix it. Doesn't change my o'pinion (no pun intended :D ) of the truck, not one bit. I love it.

Thanks for the info mdinkle, JimB, FlatBlack, and Clint, it should all come in handy when I make the call tomorrow.

I'll keep you posted for sure.

Chief

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hey Chief, If you have the extended warranty they need to get you a car and towing is covered. Irregardless, I would ***** to high heaven until I got a rental. Start with the GM of the dealership, be nice and state your case. If you get no where kick it up a notch and also call Nissan. Based on what others have said, you'll be without the truck for 3-4 weeks most of that waiting on parts. You don't need a loaner ...you need a rental. You just paid a lot of money for a truck that is now, inoperable by no fault of your own. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Sorry to read about your Titan's problems. Hopefully you'll get it fixed quickly and permanently. As for towing - During the warranty period, if your vehicle is inoperative due to failure of a warranted part, towing service to the nearest authorized Nissan dealer is reimbursable.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Small clunk

I have an 05 and I hear and feel a small clunk when down shifting to 2 from 3 for downhills. Don't sound like the same problem as you have but I'll keep an eye out for it. Good luck with the repair. I would want a rental and a tow on them. I know my old dealer would do it. I have not asked this question to the new (closer) dealer .

PS: Boone, "Irregardless" is not a real word...Even though I have been caught saying it my girlfriend always corrects me. I was better in shop class than in English myself...

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the help and support everyone!!!!!!!!!!!

Just got done removing all my belongings out of the truck (well I forgot 6 cd's in the changer, they are all copies anyway, it will be interesting if any turn up missing). Got my old van ready to roll and I'm good to go.

I called today and the dealership was just fine. I'm certain at this point that they are decent people. When I requested they pick it up (it's about 35-40 miles) they offered to do it today, but the truck was home and locked. They are coming for it tomorrow when I'm at work. They gave me no problems and were very polite. I wish I could just take it to the dealer in town (about 10 miles away) but I really don't want to deal with them over these guys.

I have to do all this business over the phone at work, I'm kinda new there so I don't spend much time on the phone :D . I called today and everyone was real cool. I didn't mention a loaner, I have transportation. My plan is to go in this order:

Talk to Service manager tomorrow
-Save any replaced/broken parts
-I want the whole rear replaced brake to brake, if something broke off, which it probably did, it mashed some parts, re-aligning the gears correctly with shims and all isn't a 2 hour job, it's an all day job.
-I understand they will put the synthetic 75-140 in, do it in front and rear.
-if I don't get an entire unit, then give my the new '95 cover.
-Let him know that I'm not the first one this happened to, so what is the real fix?
-I need a loaner. (I don't really need a loaner)
-If this is longterm then I would need a loaner as my van is 23 years old. It's pretty trusty but I never intended to use it as a daily driver and I'm not sure how it would hold up.

I'll have this list with me tomorrow when I talk to him, I realize all my dreams aren't gonna come true, but I should come out of it pretty decent with all I have to barter with.

Thanks Again Everyone!!!!!!!!!!!! I WILL keep you posted. I hope this doesn't drag on but I can see a long wait coming :roll:

Joe Chief

·
Registered
721 Posts
We'll keep our fingers (and toes) crossed for you. I'm sure you'll let us know what they do to make this right for you.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks mdinkle!!!!!!!!

Judging by your avatar I'm sure your help could come in handy should things go awry. :D :twisted: :D

Chief

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry to hear of the trouble with rear.Sounds like the dealer is working with you.(so far)Is dealer in Scranton? Hopfully.. I think i will be calling them soon, starting to feel Brake Judder.

Well good luck!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts