Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being that is is starting to look like I am getting nowhere with dealer, I figured it is time to start posting about my brake saga.

First, here is problem:

On several occasions in last month or so, my brake peddle has literally gone to floor with no pressure feel to it. Two times, I was backing up and went to apply brakes and it stopped but pedal was on floor. The other time, I started to pull out of parking lot when a bozo changed lanes abruptly and I had to slam on brakes, it went to floor but truck stopped but it was barely moving when I hit brakes.

The truck has now been to dealer three times on this issue and first two times they gave me the "working as designed" BS response. Something about a brake booster taking over and dumping all load on brakes which makes it feel like no brakes until vacuum recovers but "dont worry it will stop" :roll: .

Well this past Monday, I had hooked up to my 3000 pound boat and pulled it to top of my driveway to give it a wash. My driveway is on about a 20 degree down slop. Well after it get washed, I jump back in truck to back it into garage. I start truck, put foot on brake (hmm, feels pretty mushy), put truck in reverse and brake goes to floor AND truck is creeping backwards!!!! Yep, it had brakes but not enough to hold boat on 20 degree down slop. I threw gear shifter back in park and cussed for about 5 minutes. :evil: I pumped on brakes until pressure seemed to come back and then put boat in garage and parked truck. Took it to dealer next morning, explained what happened and told them to call me when they either found problem or started replacing parts TO FIND PROBLEM. Well it is Weds now and so far all I am getting is "havent been able to get it to do it". Well no crap, it doesnt do it every time but damnit it does it!!! They said they called Nissan reps and their response was "havent had any complaints about that". :roll: What amazes me is that Nissan didnt immediately tell them to start replacing master cyclinder and booster for liability reason. I mean cmon, that is cheap compared to what they are looking at when it decides to do while driving down road.!! Situations like this is what gives bad names to brands. I told dealership I refused to come get truck, not safe. Service manager said he would look some more. :?

Well, anyway, it isnt looking good for me but will keep fingers crossed. JT and I was talking about it and still can't figure out why they just don't change master out under warranty. Dealership says he has to prove to Nissan master is bad before changing :?:

Thanks for letting me vent

ARGH

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Gee That Sucks. I'd be Pissed.

I hope things straighten out soon!!!

Stay On 'Em. I guess you have a second ride which is a nice advantage. Now all you need is patience (yea right :wink: ).

Good Luck Man,

Chief

·
Registered
294 Posts
I was stopped at a light and just messing around. I pushed the brake to the floor and it did sorta what you have said. It will go to the floorboards and make a air excaping noise the brakes are basicly gone if you do this. Once you completely let off the brakes will recover and have normal feel again.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
ModlessG said:
I was stopped at a light and just messing around. I pushed the brake to the floor and it did sorta what you have said. It will go to the floorboards and make a air excaping noise the brakes are basicly gone if you do this. Once you completely let off the brakes will recover and have normal feel again.
I have done the same, but dealer says is normal. :roll:

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
MikeZ said:
Dealership says he has to prove to Nissan master is bad before changing
Well, if they just change the darn master cyl out....they'd have their proof!!

Man, that just sucks.....especially because it's so unsafe. You'd think that with the safety liability potential, the dealer would just take a chance and replace it. Just makes no sense. Good luck, Mike.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats the part I don't understand. With today's lawsuit society, you would think Nissan would be jumping all over this. The pedal to floor the first couple times concerned me but looks like others had this as well. But when it rolled backwards and wouldn't hold the boat, that was not "working as designed!!!
If there is a good part to this, the GM has put me in a loaner so I am fortunate there. Question is, how long does he plan to let me stay in loaner :roll: since I refused to drive the truck off lot until they do something.

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
I don't understand exactly what this function is, but here is some info from a Titan TSB:

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Hey SCR38,

That's some good pertinent info!!! It sounds like the circumstances are the same in that these folks aren't moving much. In Mike's case he almost wrecked his boat/garage.

Mike, looks like you found one good possiblity; the brake assist is malfunctioning (or maybe overfunctuning :!: )

As far as the loaner, maybe the question is "When are you going to let them have it back?" :twisted:
Just curious, what did they give you as a loaner???

Chief

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
Man Mike another problem. That sucks. I myself am needing to visit the dealer for brakes. Mine have the judder and steering column shaking. I just got to get off work soon enough to get down there one day.
M4ck

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is some good info, thanks for finding it. It sounds like this could be what is screwing up.

The loaner is a chevy s-10 crew, basically it is getting me from point a to point b, but that is it. They pulled it off the used car lot.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Just To Be A PIA, you could give them a hard time about the CRAP loaner they gave you. It could provide you with some fun :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE. Got a call Thursday from Service manager and after a week plus of "testing" said they are replacing the booster. I would have it Friday. Waited and waited Friday and finally got a call around 5pm and was advised that the booster was installed and brakes "feel" better. Bad news: I disnt mention before but the other reason it was in besides brakes was rear two tires were unbalancable and needed replacement ( I have been complaining about this since day one!). Well anyway, over the two weeks they have had truck for brakes, the replacement tires had been ordered three times with each time, the wrong ones showing up! :roll: And guess what, wrong ones again!!! argh.......this has almost become laughable. And if it were not for the crappy loaner S-10 I been driving, I would laugh. So I call GM and he apologizes etc etc. I told him the S-10 is getting old and he told me to come get something "nicer". I went today and now am driving a 04 Toyota Sequoia loaded to max!! sweet, keep the titan!! :lol: I am really surprised the power this thing has, very peppy.

Will keep posted.

Oh yeah forgot. My buddy's titan rear diff started whining at 70mph. He took it to this dealer and reported problem. Came back and got a could not duplicate. He asked what they did to try to duplicate. "we drove it around the parking lot". :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts