Nissan Titan Forum banner
541 - 560 of 595 Posts

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
22" is deep and low. I have headers and no cats, so mine is obviously louder. But it is very pleasing and very mellow, but mine has a lot of drone, but again thats probably from no cats and headers..A few members have mentioned the 18" still has the Card in Spokes sound

·
Registered
5 Posts
Need a quiet muffler

Wow amazing thread
I have the single side swept Gibson system installed on my 04 Crew.
Its good but the drone at 1800 is too much for me especially towing.
I want to put in a "quiet" muffler to replace the Gibson unit.
Size is 24"body, 30" overall, 7 " dia, straight with 3" in and out.
I expect any straight 30" round or oval will fit as OEM was oval
I am reluctant to try a random buy.
Can anyone suggest a unit or product line that they know will take her back to near stock quiet.
I would like stainless - that's why I bought the Gibson - OEM rusted off in 4 years.
That and cracked manifolds has been a PO.
Thanks
Grant

·
Super Moderator
3,814 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great Info

Thanks for doing all the homework for us Shailey -
I have a new (09) with less the 2k miles. Based on your analysis, I am thinking Gibson Swept back. I currently have no other mods and was considering a K&N drop in - You mentioned touorque dropped off with the drop in and you went back to stock???

Again - Great to have this kind of real life data. You have increased the likelihood that we can all get what we want... pros and cons -

Thanks Shailey -

·
Registered
5 Posts
Get a Magnaflow, i went from a Flowmaster 40 (loud) to the a Magnaflow 22" (quiet) and it was night and day difference in sound. It still had a good sound at when i got on it, but was tame just cruising around.

Thanks for the recommendation. I looked at the Magnaflow site and am confused about the 22". Is that a series or length you are referring to?
I need a 30"er overall.
The stock muffler is oval and the Gibson 7" round
I expect i could install either round or oval - is one design quieter than than the other?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,814 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation. I looked at the Magnaflow site and am confused about the 22". Is that a series or length you are referring to?
I need a 30"er overall.
The stock muffler is oval and the Gibson 7" round
I expect i could install either round or oval - is one design quieter than than the other?
Thanks

The 22" is the body lenght with out the inlet/exit pipe. Oval will be quieter than round. Check the link i posted, they have 30" overall mufflers listed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just got my Magnaflow 22" (12588) installed today on my 09. At idle its quieter than stock. At about 1600 RPM I get the drone but I think it sounds great. Deep growl sound but its very clean and not raspy. 04titanss you are correct on the sound. Thanks to all who commented on what muffler I should go with. I think the 18" would be much louder. I cannot feel a difference in HP but that might be due to the economy setting on the throttle from my BullyDog. The guy at the shop measured the factory muffler and it was 19". He said any longer would be difficult to fit. So grant the 30" would be too long and yes that is the overall length.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for all the great info here. I jus switched from a dual in dual out 14 " mf on my 07 I liked the volume on the 14" but the drone was very annoying and strong CIS sound as well. I just switched to The 22" MF with going back to the original stock pipes that I kept. It has a nice sporty sound . little to no drone which is great and does feel a bit stronger to. I know there is a break in period but I am missing a little volume. What would be the best option for upping the volume a bit with out increasing drone ?? I am thinking replacing the second set of cats with MF high performance Cats or replacing them with a resonator. What do you guys think the result would be on volume,drone and performance.

Thanks so much for your input!

·
Registered
1 Posts
best 06 exhaust set up?

Shailey,

Read your exhaust findings post for 07s (wow, you have a following!). I have an 06 and was wondering what set up you recommend. I am looking for the HP increase but want to keep the noise level/drone somewhere just above stock. Should I eliminate the Y and set up like an 07?

I appreciate the help - you seem like a busy person.

·
Super Moderator
3,814 Posts
Shailey,

Read your exhaust findings post for 07s (wow, you have a following!). I have an 06 and was wondering what set up you recommend. I am looking for the HP increase but want to keep the noise level/drone somewhere just above stock. Should I eliminate the Y and set up like an 07?

I appreciate the help - you seem like a busy person.
Shailey has his own forum and will reply here: http://www.mightytitans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5482

·
Registered
36 Posts
Any one try the Banks Monster Exhaust system for these trucks? I was looking at getting one wondering if there is anything thats comparable

·
Registered
6 Posts
09 22" Magnaflow - X-Pipe????

Great info Shailey

I just ordered a 22" Magnaflow from Burtman Industries for my 09 - Since it is dual in, single out, would I benefit, sound wise, from the X-pipe that magnaflow sells? Have heard there is less rapsy sound especially on de-accel - Any exprience with these??

Anyone that has any input, please pipe in -

Thanks -

Pat Hopkins

541 - 560 of 595 Posts