Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys-

i am asking for input again....

after reading the '4x not working' post and learning some info about the c-clip....good to know.... it said something about the 'big tow' gearing and an 'off rd. pkg' gearing....which is what i have. now, it got me to wonder what my 'gearing' is AND if it could be leading to me not getting optimum mileage as well.

i know on my old diesel it had a tag on the rear pumpkin that gave the gearing - 3.73 for best mileage - DOES the T have the same type of tag or do i need to break down the vin code for the gearing? and what number/letters am i looking for to tell me the gearing?

thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i creepered under to look before i read this but did not see a sticker...well it was butt cold out so i may have not taken notice due to my teeth chattering...

i will have to take a better inspection...if not there; where might i find the gearing ratio - it was not on the window sticker that i was given w/ the truck. did not notice it on the door sticker either - but will look again tomorrow in better light too.

is it in the vin #? whose got the code break-down of the vin #'s?????

ssoo, being an 'off-road package' I should have the 3.36!!!??? which is the 'best' mileage gear?

·
Registered
494 Posts
All offroad and big tow Titans have the 3.36, all others have the 2.94. The 3.36 is better for towing but will lower your mpg a bit. 2.94 is better for hwy driving but will not do as well if you are towing.

Your door sticker should have some kind of axle number in it. It will probably be cryptic but it will be there and you can probably cross-reference that online to find your exact ratio if you are still paranoid.

SideNote: Is this your first truck?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, i have done a bunch of digging/research....here is what i've found.

1. i have the temp gauge (w/ the gear symbol)
2. i have the off road package
3. i have these style mirrors
4. i have a receiver (w/ no sticker or id on it what-so-ever)
5. i have the rear finned diff (w/ no label on it, and per pix - you can see it has been spray-painted black - of which overspray seems to be all over underneath)
6. i have the cc29 on the sticker label (which doesn't neccessarily mean much i've found)
7. the upside down sticker is on the drive shaft. got cam in best position to take a pix - sorry...i don't think that number means anything though (it's the p# for the shaft i believe)

now, since this was a 'used' vehicle; i wanted to know all about it and asked for an oasis report but was only given a print-out of 'nissan' work done on it. on 8/7/07 the following was done; p# 381648s100 = rear axle shaft. on 11/16/10 the following was done; p# 381628s10a = rear axle shaft & p# 430037s36a = r&r axle assy, w/ pbrake and axles.......those are number for number and letter for letter on the repair sheet...

could not find much conclusive evidence as to what was done; best guess is axle shafts have been replaced before and then finally the WHOLE rear axle assy was done along w/ the drive shaft...as black spray paint is coating everything underneath...why they painted it 'on' the truck is beyond me...paint is even on underside of bottom lip on bumper...

i have even searched some threads on TT and found that to be thoroughly confusing on the symbol markings of the significance on rear end gearing - as is seems a miss match of parts were put on these trucks (different combo's)..my head is spinning.

this is not my first truck. THIS is my first NISSAN truck; and why i am trying to find out all i can about it. seems i may have opened a can of worms as far as what gearing i have..SHORT OF RIPPING IT OPEN TO LOOK. can anyone make sense of the above?

i may have to go to a dealer to have them research records for exact explanation of what was done and HOPE they could tell me what i am running.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
83 Posts
I got 5 on it saying it has the 3.36 towing gears lol your trucks a 06 and I dont think trucks with 2.94 gears got trans temp gauges before 08

·
Registered
28 Posts
Had to figure all this out too with my T. Big tow has 3.357 gears. Don't know if you're trying to change your gearing but it's a OE only deal with the axles. Nissan doesn't sell parts for the axles except seals & bearings. They wanted to replace the whole assembly just to fix the whiney gears. Like the boys said before, you can put the 2.94 gears in but you'll have to get them from a parts truck or trade somone who wants your gears & get a second set for the front since it's a 4x4. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
silver/chrome, the mirrors are a good clue that you don't have the tow package. They could have been traded away for the other mirrors though.

I thought that if you had either the off-road or tow packages you got the lower gears. Apparently not since I have the CC33 axle. I have both packages.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey jim-
yeah, w/ all these possible combinations, my head is thoroughly spinning...i have no idea what i have. tried to go to a 'walser' family dealer (not a nissan dealer, but still a walser as it is blocks from my house) yesterday and got NOWHERE...said i have to go to a NISSAN dealer as they have their own system....whatever.

i guess i will have to give that a shot...been looking back at the 'history' report that i got and it shows the rear axle, rear axles, rear end, drive shaft, pinion seals all have failed repeatedly since 2009....that frightens me... there is a major repetative nature going on here....

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
If 4x4 works then whatever rear axle/differential/gears you have is right. If you had the wrong rear gears then the front would blow up. So whatever the rear differential has marked on it is right.

It sounds as if the entire axle was replaced based on your repair report. Sometime in the 2006 model year Nissan changed the spider gears because so many of them were failing and destroying the differential. If yours was an early 2006 model then I can see where the axle could have failed and been replaced. It WAS replaced so you should be good to go.

One thing to look for that is unrelated to your search is the axle vent. The vent is to the passenger side of the differential. It should be about 1/2" tall on the very top of the axle. If you lift up on it then it should move a little bit. If there is nothing there then the dealer forgot to move the vent from the original axle in the replacement. From what we've heard the replacement axle assembly has a plug not a vent. Leaving the plug in is a bad thing.

There may be a hose coming off the vent. If that is the case then the original owner did the Axle Vent Mod which is our solution to blowing out the axle seals due to a stuck (closed) axle vent. A stuck open vent will allow water to get into the axle.

Here is a post by Yahooligan from another forum that may help clear things up:
CC33 has the larger shafts/additional splines. In the '04-'07 Titans the CC33 was used for the Off-Road package e-locker and CC33 is used for all '08+ Titans regardless of e-locker or no e-locker.

CC29 is the smaller shafts used on '04-'07 non-e-locker Titans.

CC29 and CC33 have nothing to do with gear ratio.

Here is the link to that thread: http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-general-discussion/107162-rear-axle-identification.html

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WELL FOLKS, i have no good news from A nissan dealer(not my selling dealer - for obvious reasons)...have subsequently contacted nisasn consumer affairs and am waiting a 'regional rep' call by end of day monday...

will fill you all in upon that phone call...

hrtkd: check pm's

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I spoke with the OP on the phone and he has an interesting mystery on his hands as he seems to have a mishmash of options and parts that could be on different models.

Dan,
  • The SE comes standard with 265-70/18 tires on 5 spoke alloy wheels. So you may not have Infinity wheels like the paperwork says. The XE comes standard with steel wheels and 245/75-17 tires.
  • The Crewcab option on the XE adds power windows as well as the power rear window.
  • Despite the off-road sticker it doesn't sound like you have the off-road package because you don't have the offroad wheels (7 spoke alloys) and you don't have the locking rear differential. Another indicator of the off-road package is the skid plate under the transfer case. All 4x4 models come with skid plates under the fuel tank and oil pan. There is also a skid plate under the radiator but I'm not sure it is limited to just the off-road package as there are two differnt skid plates found on Titans.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well, let me add to that...
i just called the parts lady back and asked if an 2006 XE off road BT pkg. come w/ a E-locker....she said NO, it is an option across the board......across trim levels

also does not mean SOMEONE did not put 18" 'fancy to them' rims on, switching from 17's. she did confirm that i have the 'off road' package...i am gonna go investigate the rear vent option/skid plate(s) and take a pix of the tires for you...

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I should add that my info is coming from the 2007 Titan brochure. Your 2006 could be different. For the 2007 I see no way to get the off-road package without also getting the e-locker.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
ok guys, dang phone finally downloaded my pix. here are a few i took.
now, dealer says PER MY VIN that: truck is an XE off road BT package. BUT, all my paperwork says it is an SE...
here are pix of what i have and don't have.

Have: 4 wheel drive, C4 receiver w/ 7 pin, dash temp gauge, front diff skid plate, gas tank skid plate
Don't Have: extendable mirrors, transfer skid plate, E-Locker (which i am told is an option across the trim level board), NO rear diff vent access

i also was told today by the nissan dealer that the part number for the rear end and axles that my selling dealer put in back on Nov. 16 WAS INCORRECT - they put in a non-big tow (into a vehicle that is according to NISSAN by the vin a BIG TOW truck....)

1. i also have paperwork showing that on 11/1/10 @ 60,172 vehicle sold at auction.
2. a vehicle inspection report (r/o date) 11/12/10 @ 60,215 - states nothing about a rear end issue.
3. a vehicle history report on 11/16/10 @ 59,751; the rear axle and gears and shafts replaced w/ a non big tow rear end....wrong installed parts....
4. carfax states put up for sale on 9/24/10 @ 59,775....
5. all selling paperwork lists the 60,172 mileage....i took possesion at 60,264??!!

look at the numbers and dates guys - they make no possible sense... someone has done some tampering/transcribing of the dates/numbers if you ask me...

i was told by the consumer affairs lady today that PER my vin the truck is an XE BIG TOW...and that a BT contains the following:

increased towing capacity: from 6500 to the 9400# (where is this indication -not sure - if it is on the door sticker, my GVWR = 6522#)?????
3.36 gear ratio
C4 hitch w/ 7 pin
extendable mirror (SE/LE)
tranny temp gauge
heavy duty battery (p# should be 999-M1NB27F - a non BT batt = 999-M1NC24F)

she also told me that the XE preferred package would be the following: sprayed in bedliner, tow pkg, am/fm/6 disc, overhead console, security system, privacy glass and power rear window....all of which i HAVE

just fyi: i also am not getting any indication from anyone (yet) that the cc29/cc33 means anything...but for reference here is my sticker again too...notice that is on the factory tire...keep in mind i am running p265/70/18 (not load range E) - so someone (previous owner OR dealer upgraded tire ---who,what,why,where,when....that is the ??)

keep in mind this all started w/ wondering why my mileage was off & 1 can of worms turned into a whole farm full....

i am just thoroughly confused/frustrated/ticked off.....i was instructed to contact nissan consumer affairs on the issue and am awaiting a phone call from a regional rep by the end of monday.......................so upon that conversation, i will fill u all in.

p.s. per my conversation w/ jim i have since dubbed my truck: FRANKENTITAN - a miss mash of cross trim level parts w/ unknown parts thrown in................:scheibe-big:

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
here is pix of current rim (been told it is an infinity one) - anyone confirm - guess i could search it too.... just lazy...lol

here is pix of what should be factory tire & rim...can anyone confirm if it is the steel? (hint jim)...

jim: i also gave u the wrong factory size...looked it up on the tiresizecalculator.info page and got correct numbers for speedo being off.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I concur that you have the tow package - minus the tow mirrors. But you do not have the off-road package. Nissan doesn't sell individual items like the e-locker. One of the ways Nissan makes money is by keeping down costs and up-selling. Want leather seats? Sure, but you also have to buy four other things. As far as I know the ONLY way to get the e-locker is in the off-road package.

The issue that got you started was the gas mileage. A good amount of this can be explained by the non-oem sized tires, winter fuel and driving 70 mph.

The size of the tires is throwing off your mileage and therefore your MPG. The tires that were on the truck when you bought it are load range E. Those tires are very heavy. Probably at least 10 lbs heavier than the OEM tire. That costs you MPG.

Winter fuel here in Denver costs me up to 2 MPG. Are you using a high octane? Switch to the cheap stuff. I run 85 octane with no knocking. But I'm cruising at 6,000' elevation. 87 octane is what the manual calls for. I have carefully documented my fuel usage since I bought my Titan and I get worse mileage when I run 91 octane (max available around here).

The difference between 65 MPH and 80 MPH is between 4 and 5 MPG for my Titan.

Add all those up and you get lousy gas mileage.:duh:

At this point I have to ask where are you going with this? It sounds like you think you were sold something other than what you actually bought. To some extent I think that is true if the dealer advertised a Titan with the off-road package.

It may be that there is nothing wrong with your Titan other than the sales details and the axle vent. I think what you're feeling is perhaps a bit cheated. It's kind of like having the Obstetrician tell you at every checkup in the last trimester than you and your wife are going to have a boy. And when the big day comes out pops a little girl. Not what you expected but you love her just the same. Your Titan is a good truck. You just need to learn to love it.:love-blow-big:

EDIT: Yes, those are Infinity wheels. It's the Inifinity logo. What they came off of is anyone's guess. The spare does look like a steel wheel. LE comes with an alloy spare.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1. yes in a way i do feel 'cheated'
2. yes non oem tires, winter gas and not going 65 = less mpg
3. i am running 89 octane (cuz it is the same $$ as 87 - we have 87, 89, 91 here)
4. Nissan has told me that the E-locker WAS an option across the trim levels
5. yes, wondering why mpg is LOW was the original concern here and upon investigating possible reasons - i have found a lot of inconsistancies - and not good ones
6. NOW knowng i do have the BIG TOW - i will not be having the optimal gearing for mileage ANYWAY - ssssoooo it seems it may be a moot point - which sux....

but look at it this way - at least i found that there are some major issues w/ the truck and hopefully NISSAN will make it right.
look at it this way: at least i am finding all this out now and not down the road when i either need to fix something and have no idea what gearing/axle or anything i am replacing (having it all torn apart only to find the dealer installed wrong stuff years ago)....blah blah blah - you get the point.

as for my rims - where they came from is not the issue, the issue is that they are 18's and not 17's...

bottom line is i just need to wait to hear from the reg. rep and see what they have to say and what they can tell me about my truck and how it is to be set up (packaged)...it is a hurry up and wait situation...

i do have to tell you guys that YES i may be a little bit cautious - as this is not my first go-around w/ issues on a vehicle. i had bought a $50k brand new 6L diesel and had every issue known and the selling dealer WOULD NOT listen to me nor acknowledge any issue was wrong w/ the truck. i ended up going to another dealer who immediately said there are major issues and got a regional rep involved and they solved all my issues PLUS made a couple of payments for me as compensation.....SO yes i may be a little gun shy if you will on what i am told versus it's performance....sorry - who wouldn't be after what i went through.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts