Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in another thread but thought I'd post it here as well and show some pics. After alllllllll my shopping and research and going back and forth and back again, I chose these in the stock 275/70/18 size and I had to have (just my preference) the OWL like the stock tires. Here's a few pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Pops! I do too...lol. I drove them a little in the rain today but I really have to put them through their paces for a while. So far they grip far better than my Rugged Trails during braking and accelerating in the wet. I also don't really notice them being louder or riding harder either..but again, time will tell. Thanks again for all your input. It was much needed, respected and appreciated.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I doubt you'll have any problems with them onroad, unless they don't sipe enough in heavy rain when the treads are worn down past 1/2 way... If you ever do have traction slipping problems of any kind with them, be sure to call around local 4x4 shops to ask them if it'd be worth having them siped. :D

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
BFG AT/KO's

Excellent choice.

I've had mine on both the Pathfinder and now the Titan.

I have found that airing them down in inclement weather is a great way to maintain traction.

Not so good in clay or hard pack snow...

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I never even looked to see what pressures the dealer used. I know they now have a max PSI of 80 LBS but what pressures should I use....the same suggested on the door jamb? And what do I air em' down to in the snow?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
air in the tires

I never even looked to see what pressures the dealer used. I know they now have a max PSI of 80 LBS but what pressures should I use....the same suggested on the door jamb? And what do I air em' down to in the snow?
FYI Your pressure sensors will trip at 28 psi and I would air down to 26 psi in traction-needed conditions. You will notice a huge difference in handling; like driving a bulldozer.

The max I have ever have my tires is 40 lbs. Ordinarily, I run 33 psi.

The amount of air you should put in the tire is directly related to the weight distribution on the truck.

Also want to let you know that some tire shops will tell you that they can't align the truck with those tires on them because the lip of the tire fits over the rim.

Tell them to air down the tire to stick in their calibrator.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. I had my local Nissan dealer install the tires and they also did the alignment without issue.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
If your max psi is 80 then you must have the LT version and not the P version. I have the same on my '91 Ranger. I keep it at about 40 PSI around town. Much more than that without a load the the ride gets much rougher than it already is.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If your max psi is 80 then you must have the LT version and not the P version. I have the same on my '91 Ranger. I keep it at about 40 PSI around town. Much more than that without a load the the ride gets much rougher than it already is.
Yeah these are the 10 ply true LT truck tire...unlike the wimpy Rugged Trails I had. Now that I know roughly where I should be pressure-wise, I can play around a little with ride comfort and traction in mind. I'll let yas know how I make out. I never thought I'd be looking forward to snow!

·
Registered
238 Posts
man those look really nice! BFG's are the best. I am looking too- I have an 09 LE and am wanting Terra 305's but I hear the rub without a lift also I don't want to hurt my performance in any way. I'll probably just go with 285's.... little wider than stock

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
... am wanting Terra 305's but I hear the rub without a lift ..
You heard wrong... :) You can fit up to a 325/60-18 or 305/55-20 w/o any lift... You can also fit 33x12.5-?? and they'll clear just fine... IF they did rub it would only be while turnung certain angles with one wheel under heavy articulation offroad or coming out of a steep driveway and the "PinchWeld Mod" would fully alleviate it if the noise bothered you....

·
Registered
238 Posts
You heard wrong... :) You can fit up to a 325/60-18 or 305/55-20 w/o any lift... You can also fit 33x12.5-?? and they'll clear just fine... IF they did rub it would only be while turnung certain angles with one wheel under heavy articulation offroad or coming out of a steep driveway and the "PinchWeld Mod" would fully alleviate it if the noise bothered you....
allright!! thanks pop's:thumbsup-big: !! I see that you have 325 terras- do they howl? I had a 94' Z71 that howled really bad with 275's (16"). That is one thing about the stock 20" SRA's they are quiet (till you get on it and they squeal like a dog getting run over....) drone on a muffler does not bother me one bit but tires howling drives me nuts!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I thought stock was a 265/70/18? Is that only for the 2WD trucks? Great looking tires though.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Good looking tires, Hudson!

I am also fiddleing with the pressures on my Cooper Zeons. Max is 50, shop put them at 40 and they felt "squishy". Aired them to 45 and they feel better now! May go a little higher when camping season arrives next year!

Bring on the snow!

-Lab

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
allright!! thanks pop's !! I see that you have 325 terras- do they howl? I had a 94' Z71 that howled really bad with 275's (16"). That is one thing about the stock 20" SRA's they are quiet (till you get on it and they squeal like a dog getting run over....) drone on a muffler does not bother me one bit but tires howling drives me nuts!
Honestly, they're quiet for what they are... I have over 60k miles on mine so the treads are worn down into they final layers and they are getting pretty loud lately, but anytime before 3mos ago they were pretty quiet.. What's funny, is they sound like they're howling really loud from any car following behind me but they're not terribly noticeable over othe A/T's from inside the cab... The 13mpg kinda stinks, but everytime I'm pulling bent drywall screws and roofing nails out of the treads I decide it might be worth it. - lol :D

Also, be sure to checkout Cooper Zeon LTZ (like the ones colochocLab has) while you're looking... My next set will likely be Cooper Discoverer STT... :D

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good looking tires, Hudson!

I am also fiddleing with the pressures on my Cooper Zeons. Max is 50, shop put them at 40 and they felt "squishy". Aired them to 45 and they feel better now! May go a little higher when camping season arrives next year!

Bring on the snow!

-Lab
Thanks...I was worried they'd be a little too rough looking but I like them not that they're on the truck. I got the true LT, E rated tire because of the towing I do. I've always bumped up the pressures a little for towing so I'll be doing the same with these. I still haven't taken a guage to them yet to see what the dealer set them at..lol.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Honestly, they're quiet for what they are... I have over 60k miles on mine so the treads are worn down into they final layers and they are getting pretty loud lately, but anytime before 3mos ago they were pretty quiet.. What's funny, is they sound like they're howling really loud from any car following behind me but they're not terribly noticeable over othe A/T's from inside the cab... The 13mpg kinda stinks, but everytime I'm pulling bent drywall screws and roofing nails out of the treads I decide it might be worth it. - lol :D

Also, be sure to checkout Cooper Zeon LTZ (like the ones colochocLab has) while you're looking... My next set will likely be Cooper Discoverer STT... :D
Thanks again pop's!! 60K miles is awesome! I usually on get 40k max out of a set of tires because I'm real lazy on rotating them- I even work next to a discount tires and don't get it done regularly! I'll look at the coopers, I have had coopers in the past and the tread wear was good but wet handling was bad- not good for SE Texas. Also I like the way the Terras look.

Thanks again for all of your help!

·
Registered
110 Posts
You made an excellent choice. BFG A/T'2 are hands down the best looking, riding, wearing and most expensive tire out there. But, you get what you pay for as they last twice as long as other tires. If you keep them rotated and balaned you should have no problem getting 60,000 out of them. I run my 285/70/17 at 45-50psi and rotate and balance every oil change.(6-7000 miles on synthetic). My last pair had over 70,000 and I sold them for $100. Beat that! I just put a new set on and I love driving around. They are so smooth and quiet and look super good.
Good Luck with yours

1 - 20 of 33 Posts