Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to change the look/theme of my truck over the winter. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the look and stance of the truck as it is, it is exactly what I was looking to do when I did it.

The thing is, my stepson is leaving for the Air Force in Feb., and the wife and I will be doing a lot more longer distance camping trips then we have in the past. I am going to say that over 50% of my truck use is for camping trips, with many of them in the 300 to 400 mile away range.

I have decided with that much highway driving, and the fact that I do no off roading it is time to set the truck up properly for the way I use it. I am going to drop the lift down about 2" to 4" of lift by unflipping the hat on my DR coilovers and removing the long leaf from the Deaver spring pack. This should significantly soften up the suspension.

Now the wheels and tires. I am currently running Pro Comp Extreme 1079 wheels, and BFG AT 315x70x17. I am going to pull them and sell them as I don't need the AT tread design and a highway or touring tread would be much better for what I am trying to accomplish. In looking for a replacement wheel, I found one that I really like the looks of
The thing is, it is only available in 18" . The tire that seems to have the best reviews for what I am looking for is the Michelin LTX M/S 2.
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...chTiresBySize.do&pc=35444&fclr=&fcb=&sw=false
The problem is the largest size that tire is available in is 275x70x18 which will give me a diameter of 33.2. With my current set up I am at 34.4 and stock set up is 32.6. I really would like to come in middle of stock and what I have which a 285x70x18 would do with 33.7.

Sooooooo, let me hear some feedback. What do you think about what I am doing. What do you think of my choices? Do you have any suggestions as alternatives to what I have come up with.

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
After more research, I am thinking I want a 305x65x18 for size I am looking for, now lets see if I can find that size in a highway tread design.

UPDATE: LOL, the only tire I can find in that size is exactly what I have now, BFG AT ko

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Given the distances you're talking about I would be looking for tires and wheels that are lighter in weight that will give you every advantage for maximizing MPG. Toyo has a pretty large selection of tires. Their Open Country H/T P265/70R18 is 44.3 lbs and has a 33.1" diameter. http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/open-country-ht

Do you have the '08 brake upgrade? That means you have to stay with an 18" rim or larger which is going to increase weight.

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Given the distances you're talking about I would be looking for tires and wheels that are lighter in weight that will give you every advantage for maximizing MPG. Toyo has a pretty large selection of tires. Their Open Country H/T P265/70R18 is 44.3 lbs and has a 33.1" diameter. http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/open-country-ht

Do you have the '08 brake upgrade? That means you have to stay with an 18" rim or larger which is going to increase weight.
I was wondering what the weight of those I had picked were, but could not find the specs on them. The calculations I have says a 265x70x18 is only 32.6, same as stock.

I want to keep the tougher off road look if can, but I want the highway ride if that makes any sense.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I hear ya on wanting to keep the look. The older I get the less I care about look and the more I care about ride quality - as in I want a cushy ride. The LT tires on my Ranger are killing me.

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL, I hate getting older! I can't believe I aint gettin more feedback then this!

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Tires

After more research, I am thinking I want a 305x65x18 for size I am looking for, now lets see if I can find that size in a highway tread design.

UPDATE: LOL, the only tire I can find in that size is exactly what I have now, BFG AT ko
The only ones you'll find are a BFG AT/KO...all terrain.

The 285/60-18 has a lot more options; roughly 1/2" tire width difference.

For road use, I'd consider Pirelli Scorpion STR, Michelin LTX M/S 2 (which is a heavier tire), or the Cooper Discoverer.

(I"m going to try their off road tire; the Cooper Zeon LTZ)

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 285 is also the exact hight of stock, I am looking to go taller to go with the 4" of lift I will have.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Changing out wheels

An 18" wheel limits your tire options for anything but a large off-road tire.

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am seeing that, not sure what I am going to do at this point.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Faced with the same dilemma

I bought 20" wheels so that I could put street tires on the truck for daily driving and kept my 17" with the off road tires.

The 20" size gave me a lot of options while keeping the same (or larger) footprint on the road and kept me from wearing out the off road tires.

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thats the thing, I really like the off road look, but I don't go off road!!! LOL That is unless you call driving up the hill to the back edge of my property to hook up the camper off roading

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I have been racking my brain and wearing my keyboard out researching what I am going to do. I have come to the conclusion the best I can do with the type of tire I want to use is staying with the 18" and going with a 275 70 18 which gives me a 33.2 diameter. I have decided to go with the Michelin LTX 2, but have not decided weather I want to go with the M/S or A/T
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=LTX+M/S2&partnum=77R8LTXMS2OWL

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=LTX+A/T+2&partnum=77R8LTXAT2OWL

·
Registered
9 Posts
I thought your truck looked familiar and then I looked and see that you are from Chippewa. I worked a beaver county dodge amd nissan for about 4 years. I traded in my 350z that I had and now have a new titan. Just thought it was weird I didn't notice anyone from the Pittsburgh area on here before

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I thought your truck looked familiar and then I looked and see that you are from Chippewa. I worked a beaver county dodge amd nissan for about 4 years. I traded in my 350z that I had and now have a new titan. Just thought it was weird I didn't notice anyone from the Pittsburgh area on here before
LOL. I was one of the originators of the site, been here since day 1!!! In fact I got Preston to have a Titan Rally 1 year over at Fireside buffet lot.

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Continental ExtremeContact DWS (dry, wet, snow)
295/35ZR18 99Y BSW
http://www.conti-online.com/generat...reme_dws_en/hidden/printable_datasheet_en.pdf

I'm thinking of picking these up for my summer driving as they are excellent in rain
If I am reading the available sizes correctly, they are all low profile, I HATE low profiles, just got done taking a set off a new Sonata as I could not stand the ride. I am going for improved ride quality and gas mileage, that is the entire reason of getting into this project. I am really having to bite the bullet here as I love the look and stance of the truck the way it is, its just that for the way I use it, it is totally impracticle, and I could be a lot more comfortable.

I am almost positive I am going with the Michelin LTX 2 M/S but am still researching other options.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Other options part deux

If I am reading the available sizes correctly, they are all low profile, I HATE low profiles, just got done taking a set off a new Sonata as I could not stand the ride. I am going for improved ride quality and gas mileage, that is the entire reason of getting into this project. I am really having to bite the bullet here as I love the look and stance of the truck the way it is, its just that for the way I use it, it is totally impracticle, and I could be a lot more comfortable.

I am almost positive I am going with the Michelin LTX 2 M/S but am still researching other options.
What about the Cooper Zeon XST's?

OR the Pirelli Scorpion STR's?

Or the Discoverer H/T Plus

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What about the Cooper Zeon XST's?

OR the Pirelli Scorpion STR's?

Or the Discoverer H/T Plus
I am beat up and tired tonight from work, I will look into them. Thanks for your suggestions, as I really have not found EXACTLY what I have in mind.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts