Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[/img]

here it be!! took me long enough for the photo LOL

this thing really hauls...and as the ECU gets more aquanted(SP) to the higher airflow, it pulls better and better...
and man, the VVT is loud on V8's...I love it

I absolutely love it..seriously took me 15 minutes to install it. was a cinche....

and burtman even put my last name, 'POPE' on the lid :)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Sweet!! Did you seal the box to the fender to get keep out the hot air?

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Glad you like it! How thick is the intake tube plastic? Is it an 1/8" thick or a 1/4" thick?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
wiscdave said:
Sweet!! Did you seal the box to the fender to get keep out the hot air?
uh....what??? lol..guessing that i dont know, Im gonna say no.

are you talking about the gap between the box and the fender? no, it was only like a 1/2" gap. dont think it would make a big diff.

suddenurge said:
Glad you like it! How thick is the intake tube plastic? Is it an 1/8" thick or a 1/4" thick?
it had decent thickness. Im gonna say 1/4"

Im very impressed with the quality/ease of install. Ive built hondas and nissans before this, and was never this easy....hell, my spec-v that I had, had to have it jacked up, fenderwell/tire removed....pain in the arse!!!

·
CTs Little Chihuahua
5,285 Posts
gotta know your specs and the lid on the box helps keep out the hot air... this lid should help you gain hp the hot air wont help you out a bit. the 1/4thickness will keep the heat out..i believe the 1/8 thickness IMO isnt a good idea itll get hot quicker.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, I unno man. it feels a hell of a lot faster than it was...IM HAPPY!!! lol, thats all that matters!

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
That means you got the latest gen 3 tube, gen 2 tubes are an 1/8" thick. One more thing for you to look at; take a flashlight and look down into the two PVC hose connection points to see if they are a min. 1/4" in diameter and drilled all the way through at 1/4". My early gen 3 tube tapered off to a 1/16" at the tube ID, and I had to redrill it and open it up to a 1/4".

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, Ill check that out today

·
Registered
427 Posts

·
Vendor
1,843 Posts
1badD-END said:
[/img]

here it be!! took me long enough for the photo LOL

this thing really hauls...and as the ECU gets more aquanted(SP) to the higher airflow, it pulls better and better...
and man, the VVT is loud on V8's...I love it

I absolutely love it..seriously took me 15 minutes to install it. was a cinche....

and burtman even put my last name, 'POPE' on the lid :)
Sweet pic and nice artwork :)

http://www.burtmanindustries.com/zoomprod.php?id=ttnc_sb_intake

·
Registered
66 Posts
wiscdave said:
http://www.clubtitan.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36516&page=27

Check out suddens set up it works great

Pipe insulation around the box to prevent the box from pulling in hot air, it made a difference in mine for sure.
This is highly recommended - not only will it help keep the hot air out, it quiets down the vibrations by nearly 2/3. I'm putting insulation tape around the filter opening to try to get the last 1/3. It's less than $2 for the pipe insulation...the insulation tape is way up there around $6 but I have other uses for it as well.

Suddenurge - what do you think about using insulation tape on the inside of the box and at least the underside / engine side of the tube? I thought about wrapping the entire tube but I'm not for sure how it will end up looking. The stuff is 1/8" thick, 4" wide (I think) and sticky on one side (I hope) - just picked it up at Depot.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Tmaxxattack said:
This is highly recommended - not only will it help keep the hot air out, it quiets down the vibrations by nearly 2/3. I'm putting insulation tape around the filter opening to try to get the last 1/3. It's less than $2 for the pipe insulation...the insulation tape is way up there around $6 but I have other uses for it as well.

Suddenurge - what do you think about using insulation tape on the inside of the box and at least the underside / engine side of the tube? I thought about wrapping the entire tube but I'm not for sure how it will end up looking. The stuff is 1/8" thick, 4" wide (I think) and sticky on one side (I hope) - just picked it up at Depot.
The vibration resonance is coming from the fender itself. The fender opening is acting like an echo chamber, and one way to eliminate or reduce that would be to insulate the inside of the fender, but that would be a hassle. If you added a ram air to the front side of the S&B box and closed off the fender side opening, that would eliminate the vibration resonance. A couple of the guys have done that, and it stopped all of the vibration resonance. They posted a thread on how to do it. I think it might have been Leadsled and Dawgbone that did the ram air mod to the S&B box.

I'm using 3" wide x 1/8" thick self sticking pipe wrap as a pad under the box. I don't think any other insulation is needed, other than the 1" round pipe insulation used to seal off the box opening to the fender opening. You just don't want any hot air being sucked in from the engine compartment. The amount of air moving through the intake will keep the temps at whatever it is in the fender unless you're idling for long periods of time.

A few pics using the 1" round pipe insulation. I changed and used 2" longer pieces for the two vertical areas to get a better seal all the way down to the fender base, shorter pieces are pictured.

Attachments

·
Registered
427 Posts
WAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGG. Just imagining the sound while at work..I miss driving my truck on a daily basis.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I just took Gorrilla tape and sealed it from the box to the fender well. It is absolutely air tight between the two. Gorilla tape is like duct tape except its is black, five times stronger/stickier, and it will withstand any type of moisture.

I love the way it sounds but, I really cant stand the the vibration sound at WOT when under fifty. I guess it does make sense that the fender is what is vibrating. Even the driver side front speeker cover vibrates.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yea, Im goin to do this. upon further inspection I realized that the gap is alot bigger than I orig. thought.

side question. if I go to the track, its safe to take the lid off right? Im gonna take the hood/tailgate/spare/subs out, and figured that would be one hell of a ram air lol

·
Go fast tester
11,912 Posts
It won't hurt anything having the lid off the box. And if you actaully did remove the hood you'd get some cooler air coming into the box since you won't have the hood cuirculating the hot air around the box as much.

I was going to say it will hurt the aero dynamics a bit...but this truck is a brick already!!!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
lol, true. plus, only runnin a 1/4 mile, Im sure earodynamics doesnt play a huge role.

·
Vendor
1,843 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts