Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been lurking on here for quite some time and now I have some questions. I have an 05 KC 4wd off road. I also have 110K miles on it now. I finally got around to installing my leveling kit that I have had for a couple of years and went to an over sized tire. The level kit was simple enough to install, all though now the front sits a little higher than the rear. I plan to put in 2" blocks to correct it. All that being said, when I had my new tires, Kumho Road Venture AT 325-65-18 installed on my factory 8" wide wheels and had my truck aligned the same day I have been having what I believe is bump steer and what feels like drifting. I know I need a wider wheel and plan to upgrade in the next month or 2. I have had lifted trucks with much larger tires in the past and never experienced this before. I do have new bilstein HD shocks I need to install but am currently still riding on the factory ones. I thought it may be tire pressure since the new tires are load range D but even after I adjusted it from 35 the tire shop set it at up to 45 I still have the same issue.
My only thought is to have the alignment redone or checked once I have my new shocks installed and the rear end lifted.
Does anyone else have any other ideas that I might try.
Thanks for any advice in advance. I am a very mechanically inclined person that can fix just about anything but this one I am just not so sure of.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Does your Titan have the camber adjustment bolts installed in the lower control arm? If not, that could be the issue. The shop doing the alignment should have said something.

Some Titans came with the cam bolts from the factory but most didn't. These are an item that can be installed if you have the tools and a mechanical mindset.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea it does have cam bolts for camber but they didn't make any adjustments to camber. I looked at it today and they didn't touch the camber. In my experience with camber I wouldn't think it would affect the ride unless it was way out. Even if there were a couple of degrees positive camber it shouldn't make much difference as long as the toe was correct. I could be wrong on this. I wonder if I could have radial roll since the wheels are a little to narrow and it does pull the tread on the sides a little bit. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm
I am going to make them show me a print out of before and after when I take it back up there. I should have just waited and had it aligned someplace a little better I suppose. I went to a Pep Boys. They were the only place open when I finished replacing a CV axle, installing the level kit and replacing my front bumper. It was a long day.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
For what it's worth I've been told by one alignment shop (Firestone) that they were unable to perform an alignment on my Titan. And this was with the OEM size wheels and tires. I don't know if they were just blowing smoke up my rear end or not. But the dealer had no problem with it. Unfortunately, the dealer doesn't offer a lifetime alignment deal like Firestone does. :(

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, Pep boys didnt offer it either. I did find a coupon last weekend for tires Plus, $20 off a lifetime alignment. If I cant come up with any other ideas and it still acts weird after I have them check it again I will probable take it to nissan or tires plus and then try and fight it out with pep boys.
I had a horrible experience with Big 10 tires several years ago when they aligned a lifted f-150 on 35" tires and they managed to leave a jam nut loose on one of the tie rods and it destroyed a 2 brand new tires I payed nearly 300 each for in about 2 weeks before I noticed it started pulling bad. They ended up buying me 4 new tires out of that deal but I dont think Pep Boys will be so easy to convince they have something screwed up. I know it also doesn't help that I drive like a complete maniac either. I really hate messing with alignment shops period.

·
Registered
72 Posts
alignment/camber...

hey guys, when i put a spacer lift(leveling kit) on my titan i did an alignment under the two wheel drive option,,,did not work out well, tire wear issues and it did feel odd. then i put it back on the lift and selected the 4wd option even though my titan is a 2wd. your lower control arms are still pushed down due to the lift, when the lower control arms are pushed down the camber goes too negative or too positive depending on the suspension setup. . the alignment shop probably only adjusted toe because it was in the "red"...some mechanics do the bare minimum. on the alignment machine screen-just because the caster/camber/toe/SAI are in the green, does not mean they cant cause wear on your tires or a sloppy ride. they adjustments need to be as close to the actual specification as possible. after all was said and done if you raise the rear end of the truck, you will have to get another alignment because you are changing caster. not by much but still..after leveling the front of my truck, it also was too high, so i got an add a leaf from procomp, installed into the leaf pack, gained a good 1.5 inches and 500lbs load capacity to the bed. ---it will give you a slightly bumpy ride when not loaded. but it turned out for the best, i had two yards of mulch in my truck a couple weeks back and the bed was back to about stock height. good luck man.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts