Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an XE and need an upgrade. I have the preferred package, 6 disc changer and 8 speakers (4 large round and 4 small high range?)

Does anyone know if the radio in my truck has pre-amp outputs?

If so I'm thinking of using them to power a small amp for the 8 speakers, also replacing the speaker sets (woofer tweeter) with aftermarket using aftermarket crossovers.

I'm not looking to blow the windows out, I just want a better solid system. I don't even use the radio, just the CD player and aux input for I-POD.

If each set of speakers is powered by one output, I could use a 4 channel amp with crossovers.

All I've looked at so far is a 'Crutchfield' catalogue and it seems to have some decent components. I may have it installed just to make sure I don't scratch or butcher the interior. I'm really looking for the least invasive way to go about this.

Anyone Have ideas or answers/experience?

Thanks,

Chief

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kytitan said:
I tought you were not allowed to buy audio equiment anymore chief. :D
I LIKE IT!!! :D :D :D Good Memory KY :D :D :D

I was talkin home audio, the truck is MY territory :!: :!: :!:

unless the fine little lady is ridin too, then i just leave it off and quietly hum to myself...... :D

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Chief said:
Does anyone know if the radio in my truck has pre-amp outputs?
I don't think it does Chief. You'll have to use the high input or a LOC or get a new head unit. I think, can somebody please give Chief better advice than the garbge I'm coming up with. :roll:

·
Go fast tester
11,912 Posts
NOt...just installed an amp in my truck and you have to wire the whole thing. So you'll need an amp kit and a good diagram of the wire harness because there are more wires out the back of this thing then you can imagine. But I've always been told...the speaker wires are always the twisted wires...and it held true here too.

I bought a 600 Watt Sony Explod amp with 4 channels and built in cross-overs(only $220). You loose your fad...but who uses it anyway. You run your entire truck off channel 1-2 and you bridge, if you like bass, the negaitive channel 3 to positive channel 4 which normally doubles your watt output to your bass if your amp if bridgeable.

Also I had to use a OHM limiter to the lows....I think there is a built in cross-over(s) in the truck somewhere making my amp read lower OHM's shutting it off. My only assumption...but once I place the filter in it no longer shut's itself off. This was an easy test...only other option would be to re-wire the truck....new speaker wire to every speaker which I was not up to.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the good feedback guys.

At this point I'm thinking about getting a head unit that will fit with an adapter plate and harness. Also replace the factory speakers. No amp wiring. Hopefully there are units out there that will give me satisfactory sound. I know ten years ago I replaced my stock mopar unit with sony's top of the line and it sounded great (only 30 watts X 4). If I can get similar results now I'll be happy. Looks like the prices have come down a long way since then (the retail on the sony was 600 dollars) so maybe I can get some satisfaction. Still have to research a little.

Chief

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rossi I would agree there are probably crossovers between each large and small speaker. Something I'm wondering how to locate although I'm not there yet.

Thanks KYTitan,

I talked to a rep from crutchfield. seems like a lot of people use them. They have all the wiring and adapter plate for my truck.

I will only be going with a head unit right now. It is the Kenwood EZ-500.
front and rear preamp outputs
22 rms X 4 channels

I looked at all the detailed specs and I'm sorta blown away. It is supposed to have easier controls, like the old days but I doubt it. One of my peeves is having to scroll thru menus while I drive. The only thing it is lacking is a 3rd preamp for a sub. I'm figuring since I'm just looking for solid sound (my ears already have some miles on them) that I may eventually replace the original speakers, but still feed thru the head and not an amp. I can easily use one of the pre-amps for a sub if I decide to. I think I'm going to maybe start a post on head units before I buy.

Thanks Again Guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chief

1 - 8 of 8 Posts