Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see the Volant group buy is going on, and tax returns are just around the corner. My thing is I was looking at the K&N Air Charger Kit. Which one should I go for, and why?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Personally, I've heard enough bad things about the K&N such as ruined mass air sensors and rattles that I'm going to go with the Volant kit. I've only heard of one or two problems with the K&N but in my book that is enough to keep me from getting it. The only complaints I've heard from Volant owners is a few rattles that were fixed by tightening up some bolts.

G

·
The Volant's air box is completely enclosed, with a top that screws on. The K&N air box is open on the top, and depends on the hood sealing it when closed. I have nothing against K&N (I have two of their drop ins now) but I am going with the Volant.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I wasn't happy with the K&N in my Frontier. The first time I went four wheelin it got loaded up with mud. I think when I decide to get one I'll go with the Volant.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I had the K&N on my Ford and now on my Titan. I love it. If you take care of it, clean it and check to see if it's on tight, It works great. I looked to see if there would be a lot of space for mud or other junk getting to the filter. There is some room but not enough that it bothers me. If I get into it, I just clean it off and go on. I love the airflow sound it adds to it too, and yes I can feel it in the seat dyno.

I would have to say they all work about the same. In general, just have to think about open air or the box look. I wanted the open air look, I would have picked up the K&N drop in fliter and kept the stock box with the mod that someone posted in here for the box look.

Just my .02

G

·
I like the fact that with the Volant, you are getting cold air only. No engine compartment air gets into the mix. No worry about mud, and no reports of maf sensor problems. Volant is what I went with,

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. Think I'll be goin with the Volant here. I like the fact its cold air, and I don't need to be cleaning out the filter all the time up here in PA.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
i have the k&N on my truck and I LOVE IT. i have put k+n's on all my vehicals and have never ruined a MAF sensor. as far as mud goes, i have blasted through mud puddles(look at avatar) and the whole area around filter was spot less!! i was shocked 8O. you guys are correct about the air box part though, what i did though was seal off the cracks that engine air can get through. not to mention that the volant wasnt even available yet when i bought the k&n, so i had no choice at the time.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I think regardless of which you go with, make sure to pop out your MAF occasionally, and clean it with some electrical contact cleaner, like LPS, or something else. Just a couple quick sprays is all it takes. Make sure to wait a while after shutting down the engine to do this. Most MAF's go thru a "burn-off" cycle periodically after shut-down, to burn off dirt/dust, etc from the hot-wire element on the MAF. I usually did this at every oil change interval with my K&N FIPK on my Tundra, and will do the same with the Volant on my Titan.

The biggest difference I noticed between the K&N and Volant is that the K&N emitted a high frequency sucking noise under part-throttle, low load driving, which of course, is where much of my driving is done. This noise sounded "neato" at first, but got very irritating after a while to the point of me removing it. Also, the heat shield did not seal well to the hood, causing a lot of hot engine air to be used. This was on my Tundra, so it sounds like it might be improved on the Titan. With the Volant, I did not notice any of this high-freq noise, just more overall noise at full throttle, which is when I want to hear it. Also, as others have said, the Volant pulls 100% of it's air from the fender well, like the oem box.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Ummmmmm ...

OK, at the risk of revealing my ignorance :oops: -- "MAF" ???

Would that be ... Mass Air Flow sensor? & where is the sucka??

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Re: Ummmmmm ...

TitanGuyCNY said:
OK, at the risk of revealing my ignorance :oops: -- "MAF" ???

Would that be ... Mass Air Flow sensor? & where is the sucka??
yes its a mass air flow sensor. its on the top of your intake tube about midway between airbox and throttle body, has a plug with 5 wires comin out of it :D

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
Here it is.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Aside from the box (mine has small gaps between the lid and box) the only other major difference is that the Volant mounts the breather lines downstream of the MAF. The K&N mounts them upstream. Seeing as how that oil vapor is constantly being sucked over the MAF, I can see why some people had issues with it on that kind of design. I have also run K&N stuff on virtually all my vehicles (including the drop-in on my Titan) and I've yet to ruin a MAF sensor from the filter oil. It's not to say it can't happen, but if you do it right it isn't an issue.

So for me that was the main thing why I didn't go with the K&N - the breather lines are not located in a good spot.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Slurppie said:
(In DarthTater voice) Tim, use the force Tim, buy the Volant.
Now THAT **** is funny. Think thats the route I'm going anyway Lord Vader.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm definitely not an expert, but when I looked at the volant, it appeared to have a smaller cold air intake tube tham the oem box. For that reason, I modified my oem box and used a drop-in k&n. What makes the volant better?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
RAWCCD said:
I'm definitely not an expert, but when I looked at the volant, it appeared to have a smaller cold air intake tube tham the oem box. For that reason, I modified my oem box and used a drop-in k&n. What makes the volant better?
No....the intake opening is much larger than the oem's, and that makes it better. Plus, the oem intake has an accordian section that will slow the air down a little more. The Volant has a high gloss internal surface w/ no accordian section. I've had both on my truck, and noticed a difference between the two, but I also am running a modded exhaust which makes a difference.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts