Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have set of go rhino tube steps i took off to touch up so bedliner nicks in the finsh i was looking at them and on either end there are plastic plugs to block off the tube i took them off and it was wet and there was dirt/rust laying inside i cleaned out what i could and looked in with a light and it has surface rust but to me looks like raw metal i want to put some kind of paint or somthing inside i was thinking of using por15 and then sealing the plugs on with rtv but my problem that has me stumped is how to coat the inside of the tube i don't want to just pour the stuff in its a lil price so i know you guys are smart and really creative anyone got any ideas or recommend another type of paint thanks for any and all info

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
maybe rubberised undercoating in the spray can?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
You can buy duplicolor bedliner in a one gallon jug from o'reilly auto for about $25 IIRC. Plug the crap out of one end, pour in, slowly spin and coat evenly. Repeat one other tube..

Just mi dos centavos

·
Registered
767 Posts
Rustoleum makes a rust converter primer. It converts the rust to a primer. You can spray that in both ends and get a good coat pretty cheap. I don't know how evenly it will cover, but as long as you get it all covered, what does it matter since it's on the inside and it is cheap?

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
like all the ideas thanks guys

·
Registered
295 Posts
:)I'll give the nod to the primer/ encapsulating paint of your choice, but I say only attach the far end of each tube step permanently, thread the front end of each step and use a screw -in type plug of your choice that fits tightly. This way before any trip of a social nature that happens to be over a particularly bumpy patch of road: you can simply park your T facing uphill, unscrew the cap, fill the tubes w/ Grey Goose, vermouth, and olives. By the time you reach your destination you should have a perfectly shaken Martini ala Titan. Simply park the T facing downhill, unscrew the caps and pour. (You did say you wanted a project, right?) :)

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol good one

·
Registered
295 Posts
Thanks, thought someone might enjoy that one. BTW was that your T that I spyed in an issue of Truckin' sometime around the Holidays??

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah it was mine i was shocked that it got in

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i guy i work with told me to use motor oil and diesel mixed and spray it in the tube or i thought of wd40 what do you guys think not sure about either

·
Registered
295 Posts
Eventually the WD/ OIL will dry up/ leak out. Rust occurs when iron meets oxygen. The only way to prevent it is to remove the oxygen or put a barrier btwn the two. I would think a can or two of your choice of encapsulating paint/ bedliner would do the trick as long as you coat the whole inside. BTW- Congrats on the exposure in the mag, it was nice to see something besides the Big 3 in there.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thank you for that there are not alot of other vehicles in the mags at all i still love to read them and look at pics but we need more Ts in the mags . i was thinking the same thing about the paint other than spraying a s**t load down the inside of the tube and rolling it you know of any easier way? and to basstr i already used up my warrenty what they don't tell you is that after you use it once the warrenty does not continue and you only get one pair thats it. i had a hard time getting the set i have they wanted me to pay to send them back ( at 125 to ship ) and then pay them again to ship them back to me but i was able to just cut them up to prove that i had destroyed them and then they shipped me a new set it was a pita but its all done and overwith

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'd say get 2 to 4 cans of decent spray paint and spray away from both ends. It might cover better than you think inside of the tube, especially if you get a paint w/ a "fan" nozzle/ one of the adjustable tips.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Open both ends, heat to 350 F, blow powder coat power through the tubes. It will only stick and melt where there is bare metal so you get a uniform coating (thousands of oil country tubing are done like this every day).
What I did as a boy in Chicago; dissolve chassie grease in gasoline, smear where necessary ; suprisingly is is not noticeable on chrome.
Get new ones made from 316 stainless tubing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts