Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I just got my Titan last week, and after searching the archives I still have these questions:

#1 First and foremost!
Is there a way to Defeat the ABS and also retain the ABLS?

#2 I've got to do my first Oil change here in a day or so, any oil recomendations for heavy duty service (lots of towing and idling).
I'm thinking I'll use 10W40 Castrol.

Thanks in advance.
Ryan

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
Welcome to the Club Ryan,
Around here you will see a lot of Mobil 1 die hards. There are other brands some are loyal to but thats the biggest here I have seen. I run Mobil 1 0/40 and change it every 5000 miles. Its synthetic so its made for longer change cycles. So far I love it. http://www.clubtitan.org/postt53.html here is a good thread about oil samples. There are lots of others around. Look in the Technical Discussions area.
Maybe JetTech or one of the other more mechanically enclined will answer your other question.
enjoy yourself
M4ck

·
Registered
791 Posts
A2GSX said:
Hello,
I just got my Titan last week, and after searching the archives I still have these questions:

#1 First and foremost!
Is there a way to Defeat the ABS and also retain the ABLS?

#2 I've got to do my first Oil change here in a day or so, any oil recomendations for heavy duty service (lots of towing and idling).
I'm thinking I'll use 10W40 Castrol.

Thanks in advance.
Ryan
Hey Ryan - Welcome. As far as disabling the ABS while retaining the ABLS I don't believe you can. Just of curiosity, why would you want to do this? As far as oil goes, Mobil 1 is a stellar oil. I personally prefer Royal Purple products not because I have any proof they are better but because they have served me well over the years. I agree with M4ck. Check out the oil sample reports, do a little research, and decide for yourself. But you can't go wrong with Mobil 1 or Royal Purple.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Since you will be towing, you may want to also consider putting 75w/140 synthetic gear oil in the rear diff. I don't know if you have an '04 or '05 model. I understand the '05s now have the synthetic, but the '04s originally had 85w/90 non-synthetic.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Caltitan said:
Since you will be towing, you may want to also consider putting 75w/140 synthetic gear oil in the rear diff. I don't know if you have an '04 or '05 model. I understand the '05s now have the synthetic, but the '04s originally had 85w/90 non-synthetic.
Excellent point.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies,
As for my reasons: To eliminate the ABS, I just don't like ABS. It has some trouble in certain situations, mostly when steering while active. I'm quite a confident driver (a item I frequently tow is my Rally car) It's certainly personal prefference, I was just curious if anyone had attempted this yet. I was going to buy a shop manual to help me out with my plan... Then I found out it was $300!!! I was hoping I might find some help here.

As for oil. I already have my favorites (Castrol) I should have been more specific and asked about weights. I prefer 10W40 and was curious if anyone had any comments. It seems that it's the popular weight, so that's what I'll be using.

For the rear diff oil, I had already planned that :) and yes, that is a good idea for anyone towing.

Thanks again,
Ryan

BTW, it's a
2004 KC 4X4 SE Big Tow and Utility Bed.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I've used 10/40 in all my vehicles since 1974. Seems to be the best all-around grade - never had a problem, never miss an oil change. The "owners manual" for what it's worth, doesn't recommend non-fossilized oil - that's why I never put synthetic in my Murano -- or the Titan -- however, I know many folks who run synthetic, no problems, regardless of the recommendation.

G

·
A2GSX said:
I was going to buy a shop manual to help me out with my plan... Then I found out it was $300!!! I was hoping I might find some help here.
You can buy a 24 hour access to the Nissan Data Base for $19.95 and download the Service Manual, do a search here for the details.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
scr38 said:
A2GSX said:
I was going to buy a shop manual to help me out with my plan... Then I found out it was $300!!! I was hoping I might find some help here.
You can buy a 24 hour access to the Nissan Data Base for $19.95 and download the Service Manual, do a search here for the details.
Hey scr, I don't have the time right now but I think this needs to have its own thread in the how to section titled something like, how to - download the nissan service manual with a link inside that will take people right to it. This is a common question and finding the link on Nissans web site can be a pain.....

I'll get to it later on today if no one beats me to it.

G

·
Excellent idea, JT. I don't think I will have time to do it before I have to leave for the weekend. When I get back I will make a post if you or someone else hasn't.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts