Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the weekend I kept seeing a commercial for the three new mobil 1 motor oils that claim they can go the extra mile or miles.
So two days ago I was at wally world (wal-mart) and went over to the auto section. They only had the 5000 mile oil in. As I read the back of it, it said no excessive idling and oter restrictions. So is this oil really as durable as regular synthetic or is it just a cheap way to go longer? The oil itself was pretty cheap.
Any comments, facts, and/or answers?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I may just be wastefull, but I change my oil every 3000 miles regardless of what kind of oil I use. I personally would never let an oil change go 5000, 7500, or 15000 miles but that's just me. :) It's cheap insurance and piece of mind if nothing else.

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
I run my Mobil 1 0 40 for 5000 miles between changes. No problems here oil looks good when I change it. It can go longer but 5000 is easy to remember and makes me feel a little better.
M4ck

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
I'm not sure what the future is for the 0W-40. Several days ago getsomeZ28 brought this whole Mobil 1 topic up to me, I was totally in the dark on it....duh...I know...

So anyhow after reading on Mobils website www.mobil1.com I went out and bought some of the extended performance 10W-30 to see how it does. I haven't done enough reading about the 5000 and the 7500 ones they offer to really know much about them but I did some reading on the extended performance oil and it sounds like really good stuff. Time will tell because I'm putting it in this afternoon after work.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Let us know how it goes Dale. I am really interested in this new stuff. If it doesnt prove to be all that great, I may have to stockpile 0w-40!! :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
Hey I need to know quick its time for my change I am planning on doing it Friday after work. LOL I need a decision soon. LOL
M4ck

By the way I'm kidding about needing a decision really quick.

·
Registered
601 Posts
JetTech said:
I'm not sure what the future is for the 0W-40. Several days ago getsomeZ28 brought this whole Mobil 1 topic up to me, I was totally in the dark on it....duh...I know...

So anyhow after reading on Mobils website www.mobil1.com I went out and bought some of the extended performance 10W-30 to see how it does. I haven't done enough reading about the 5000 and the 7500 ones they offer to really know much about them but I did some reading on the extended performance oil and it sounds like really good stuff. Time will tell because I'm putting it in this afternoon after work.
JT, why are you going with the 10W-30? I have Pennzoil synthetic blend 10W-30 in my truck right now and the oil pressure gauge has been stable since I switched to it from the factory and service dept 5W-30 fills. So no complaints right now with my 10W-30, but I decided to try the 5W-30 as per Nissans recommendations, so I bought the Mobil1 extended perf 5W-30 last week and am about to put it in the truck.

Anyway, just wondering why you are using heavier than the recommended weight. Thanks

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
This interests me too, I have been using Mobil 1 5W-30 since I bought it. Mack, I see you are running 0W-40...reason?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Well I just got back from Walmart and was checkin out the new oil. They had the extended life and the 5000 mile stuff. The 5000 mile stuff is not even a synthetic oil. I did notice they had a Mobil 1 Truck and SUV synthetic and it was 5w-40. What do you think about that as a replacement for the 0w-40 stuff?

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
SimplyTitan said:
This interests me too, I have been using Mobil 1 5W-30 since I bought it. Mack, I see you are running 0W-40...reason?
This is the reason.

JetTech said:
So far the 0W-40 has done the best. I'm doing an oil test though using Motorcraft semi-synthetic to see if the results are close. I think I've got another 2500 miles to go before I drain that. It will be a couple of months.
I am not as educated on this type stuff as lots of you are so I rely on people I trust.

M4ck

·
Registered
601 Posts
QWIKWHIP said:
Well I just got back from Walmart and was checkin out the new oil. They had the extended life and the 5000 mile stuff. The 5000 mile stuff is not even a synthetic oil. I did notice they had a Mobil 1 Truck and SUV synthetic and it was 5w-40. What do you think about that as a replacement for the 0w-40 stuff?
You're right, the 5000 mile stuff is not Mobil1, it is just regular Mobil oil. If I remember correctly only the synthetic gets the Mobil1 name.

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Oils.aspx

Also, with the extended performance, they guarantee up to 15,000 miles under normal driving conditions. For severe driving (which most of us do) they recommend following the manufacturer oil change interval. Also later, they say they recommend everyone always follow their manufacturer oil change schedule.
http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Oils_FAQs.aspx#Mobil_1_Extended_Performance_FAQs1

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
HavockWK said:
JT, why are you going with the 10W-30? I have Pennzoil synthetic blend 10W-30 in my truck right now and the oil pressure gauge has been stable since I switched to it from the factory and service dept 5W-30 fills. So no complaints right now with my 10W-30, but I decided to try the 5W-30 as per Nissans recommendations, so I bought the Mobil1 extended perf 5W-30 last week and am about to put it in the truck.

Anyway, just wondering why you are using heavier than the recommended weight. Thanks
I would have bought the 5W-30 but all they had was the 10W-30, of which isn't really any big deal here in the south. Either one is fine for this climate.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
QWIKWHIP said:
I tried the 5W-40 truck and SUV oil back when I had my 4x2 and hated it. The oil sample came back "ok", nothing spectacular though. What it didn't show was the loss I experienced in performance and gas mileage. Everything came right back when I changed it out so I know it was the oil. I would not recommend using it based on my prior experiences with it.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
JetTech said:
QWIKWHIP said:
I tried the 5W-40 truck and SUV oil back when I had my 4x2 and hated it. The oil sample came back "ok", nothing spectacular though. What it didn't show was the loss I experienced in performance and gas mileage. Everything came right back when I changed it out so I know it was the oil. I would not recommend using it based on my prior experiences with it.
That's a good enough answer for me. :D

On a side note, I wouldn't think they would discontinue the 0w-40 like someone said. The 0w-40 is the european formula so I wouldn't think they would stop making it. What do you think?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts