Registered
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
824 Posts
Four ball test

HRTKD said:
It looks like AMSoil is phasing out the oil that I have been using. There are two synthetics listed on their web site now:

(SSO) Signature Series 0W-30 100% Synthetic Motor Oil
(TSO) Series 2000 Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil (while supplies last)

So what is the difference between the two? Maybe I'm reading things wrong but it looks like the old oil did better on the four-ball wear test.
No the smaller the number the better on those. That is the width in millimeters of the wear scar with that test. Shows less of a scar there compared to the others. The real test for me will be the oil analysis really, wish I had syns in here longer to have a baseline with the old Amsoil.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sftail1990 said:
No the smaller the number the better on those. That is the width in millimeters of the wear scar with that test. Shows less of a scar there compared to the others. The real test for me will be the oil analysis really, wish I had syns in here longer to have a baseline with the old Amsoil.
This is from the new "Signature Series" oil which I think is newer:
http://www.amsoil.com/graphs/tso_4ball_2005_640px.jpg

This is from the Series 2000 oil

I still contend that the older oil (at least in this test) is better. I sent off an email to AMSoil corporate to see what they had to say.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is the response from AMSoil:

The new SSO is an improved product over the TSO oil. See below:
Question:
Why does SSO report a larger 4 ball wear scar (.406 mm) than TSO (.360 mm)?

Answer:
The difference is minimal (.046 of a mm), but more importantly, you will notice most of the competitor oil test results show a less favorable wear scar than what was previously reported as well. As with the previous oil, TSO, the August 2007, ASTM-D4172 4-ball wear test demonstrates the same performance and concludes that AMSOIL SSO’s preventative wear characteristics far exceed the competition.

Thank you for this opportunity to respond to your question(s). As always, please feel free to contact us again if we can be of further assistance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts