Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
I'm not talking about the noise of rushing air because these fans move some serious amounts of air. I'm talking about strange noises like the aux. fan is about to dislodge. This problem is becoming very common (according to my service department) after the trucks get a few miles on them. This problem is not limited to the Titan, it's VERY common on the Armada as well...go figure.. :D

Anyhow, the Aux. fan is only held on with one screw at the very top of the housing, the bottom is held in by two posts at the bottom of the fan housing that slide down into the plastic frame that also holds the radiator and condensor. Over time these bottom mounts get loose and that's when the weird noises start.

To check if your aux. fan is loose, first turn the vehicle off, reach into the lower grill opening and grab the fan housing. If the bottom moves side to side or fore and aft than it's loose.

Here's some pictures I took of this mod of which only takes about 30 minutes to do. If the pics aren't big enough just go to my pic site and the full size pics will be there.

Have Fun and let me know if this mod helps anyone else out there in Titan land!!

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
Nice man. All I want to know is what designer thought it would be a good idea to use 1 screw to hold that thing in like that. lol
M4ck

·
Registered
255 Posts
One screw, wow.
nice work again Dale, as usual.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Dale,

First of all - you're a genius for figuring this out. You have quite the mechanical mind, my friend.

Second, am I going to need to take off the skid plate to get to those bottom two "screws"?

Third, why am I bending up the one washer? How did you do it?

Finally, I don't know why this post is so unpopular (maybe it is popular but no one posts about it). I would think this is probably affecting most Titan owners. I'm actually surprised there isn't a TSB for it - although maybe it's because it's hard to a) pinpoint the noise and b) it's inconsistent, so it'd be difficult to replicate at the dealer.

THANKS!

Justin

G

·
0 Posts
Trogdor said:
Dale,

Second, am I going to need to take off the skid plate to get to those bottom two "screws"?

-Yes

- The screw would walk more than likely so the bent washer helps lock it into place. If you have a big set of pliers or a vise you can bend a washer...they actually bend pretty easy. Maybe we can get together soon and knock out both of our trucks at the same time.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Slurppie said:
Trogdor said:
Dale,

-Yes

- The screw would walk more than likely so the bent washer helps lock it into place. If you have a big set of pliers or a vise you can bend a washer...they actually bend pretty easy. Maybe we can get together soon and knock out both of our trucks at the same time.
cool - thanks Bry! We'll talk.

·
Registered
923 Posts
JetTech said:
To check if your aux. fan is loose, first turn the vehicle off, reach into the lower grill opening and grab the fan housing. If the bottom moves side to side or fore and aft than it's loose.
JT always giving solid advice - make sure that vehicle is off before you go sticking your hands in the fan....

:roflmao:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Tech, and I use the term LOOSLY, are only alowed to change parts. Never really fix a problem. So if you can find a " tech " that will really find a solution for a problem, PAY THEM WELL AND KEEP THEM HAPPY. You may never find another..
BTW Dale, I did the same thing to My Precious I just didn't use silicon, I used SS hardware and put 304 lock-tite in them..

·
Registered
753 Posts
Jettech:

As I was installing the coolant bypass for my truck today, I tugged and tugged fore and aft on my electric fan to no avail!! Do you think they knew about this problem or has mine not come loose yet?? :)

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mick said:
Jettech:

As I was installing the coolant bypass for my truck today, I tugged and tugged fore and aft on my electric fan to no avail!! Do you think they knew about this problem or has mine not come loose yet?? :)
It sounds like yours is still tight in the bracket. As a matter of fact the aux. fan on my 4x4 is still tight in it's bracket as well (18K miles on it). This problem was one I had on my first Titan. So who knows, some will loosen up, some not...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Looks like I too may be doing this mod. I can hear the aux fan make some weird noise (sounds like something is vibrating) when I am at a stop with the a/c on.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GETSOMZ28 said:
Looks like I too may be doing this mod. I can hear the aux fan make some weird noise (sounds like something is vibrating) when I am at a stop with the a/c on.
That's the sound getsom......I can't believe my 4x4 hasn't done it yet but when it does I will do this mod to it. It only takes a few minutes and will quiet everything back to normal. Good luck......

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks JetTech, I've been wondering what that noise was. It sounded like the fan clutch was coming apart but was tight. I'll check mine tomorrow in the light of day. If I understand the problem correctly, the lug holes wear out allowing the lugs to move about causing the vibration everyone hears and feels? The fix is with the bent washer set-up pulling the lug into the mounting hole securing it from moving. Am I close? Thanks again..

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
planemech said:
Thanks JetTech, I've been wondering what that noise was. It sounded like the fan clutch was coming apart but was tight. I'll check mine tomorrow in the light of day. If I understand the problem correctly, the lug holes wear out allowing the lugs to move about causing the vibration everyone hears and feels? The fix is with the bent washer set-up pulling the lug into the mounting hole securing it from moving. Am I close? Thanks again..
That's the ticket...let us know if it works for you too..

·
Registered
118 Posts
I couldn't wait untill morning so when I got off work last night I reached in and gave the fan housing a tug. Sure enough.. it has about a .030 movement side to side. Thanks again for a good fix to an annoying rumble.

·
Registered
118 Posts
just heard from the dealer. I brought the Titan in for the brake "fix" and he asked me if I had heard a rumbling in the front with the ac on. Before I could say I had a fix for that he tells me he had the tech replace the fan bushings. So I'll pick up the truck tomorrow and see if:
1) the new brakes are as good as everyone says and
2) see if they did the JetTech "fix" to the aux. fan

·
Registered
681 Posts
Looking forward to seeing what you find about the fan bushings ... mine has a loud occasional rattling with the A/C on and the fan is loose ... haven't gotten around to trying to fix it yet and the dealer said "could not replicate"

·
Registered
254 Posts
What exactly does this fan do?????

Hello JET TECH........I see this fan called an auxillary fan..... :roll:
I have heard it called the tranny and the AC fan... :roll:
Just what turns it on and off and is it for the AC or tranny or what? :?:
I'm not sure if mine is really loose but I bought the screws and washers you have listed to prevent any rattles. My Titan has a rattle somewhere up front and under the hood and only on rail-road ballast and road bond surfaced roads....My SM recently replaced a tie-rod in hopes that it was causing the rattle but it did not solve it.
Thanks for any input/help!
Peace-Tom

·
Registered
254 Posts
Trogdor said:
Dale,

First of all - you're a genius for figuring this out. You have quite the mechanical mind, my friend.

Finally, I don't know why this post is so unpopular (maybe it is popular but no one posts about it). I would think this is probably affecting most Titan owners. I'm actually surprised there isn't a TSB for it - although maybe it's because it's hard to a) pinpoint the noise and b) it's inconsistent, so it'd be difficult to replicate at the dealer.

THANKS!

Justin
I just did the mod.....hope it's OK to chime in on question #2 for trogdor as I don't think anyone has yet......yes the skid plate will have to come off.....the front of it has 4 ( 2 on each side) front bolts that need a 5/16" hex key to remove.....the back of the plate hs two bolts that a 10 mm socket will work with but had some play so I used a small adjustable wrench instead. They don't have to be completely removed as the back of the plate is slotted.
Well it's back together and now the fan has 0-play!! Can't wait to see if that solves the back-roads rattle!!
Thanks JET-TECH.!!!! :D
Peace-Tom ------> CHEERS Highland Beer CHEERS<------

1 - 20 of 38 Posts