Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine is leaking. I have 105,000, but no offroading ,trailering, etc. (I did offroad at the official Titan Rally-presumably an acceptable route). The plastic bottom tank is weeping at the center mounting lug, only lost a cup of antifreeze, but its not going to get better. I have loosened the reservoir cap so it won't pressurize until I can get a new radiator.
Clearly an engineering problem. In the "good old days" the paper thin copper tubes would corrode through after several years. This failure is more aggravating because a minor design change would have prevented it.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Same problem with my T a while ago, I fixed the problem (new rad) but still want to upgrade to the stillen

·
Registered
22 Posts
The Stillen ones are having some issues too per MightyTitan site. And Stillen isn't wanting to cover them.

·
Registered
894 Posts
This is quite common. You shoulda had this issue back around 50-70k mile range. Even as early as around 30k era.

New radiator, and asap. Mine started out like that, next thing you know I couldn't drive more than 5 miles.

And the IPDM relay is a common issue which Nissan finally pulled a recall on after I already dropped $108 on a new one..

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Parts Geek delivered a Koyo radiator in about 24 hr. But I am not happy. Nissan needs some new engineers in the "radiator"section. Took me 3.5 hr to get the old one out; I could have saved an hour by taking off the engine fan in the beginning. The fan has to come off ,at least for mine. I finally had to tie-off the other 3 radiators with fish line to keep them out of harms way ( AC, AT-secondary, and power steering). A few more bolts and a removeable section sure would make it easier/better.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Should only take an hour, hour an half to remove. Reading a how to thread ahead of time will save a lot of labor time.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I read/printed the Nissan instructions. Not very good. I stopped now for coffee :I am over the hump,only bolts and clamps left. Nissan attached three radiators together for no good reason; like -all 3 could be removed as a unit. You have to assemble 3 radiators in place.
I have done basically all my own auto work for 55 yr,including about a dozen radiators (some to change camshafts). I am never going to change another rear main seal, paint another car , or put in another Nissan radiator.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Mine is leaking. I have 105,000, but no offroading ,trailering, etc. (I did offroad at the official Titan Rally-presumably an acceptable route). The plastic bottom tank is weeping at the center mounting lug, only lost a cup of antifreeze, but its not going to get better. I have loosened the reservoir cap so it won't pressurize until I can get a new radiator.
Clearly an engineering problem. In the "good old days" the paper thin copper tubes would corrode through after several years. This failure is more aggravating because a minor design change would have prevented it.

The radiator on a 6 yr old Titan with over 100k miles on it goes, and this is an engineering problem? That's a bit of a stretch. Now if you had 20 or 30k on it and it was newer I'd agree. Their all plastic nowadays.

·
Registered
894 Posts
The radiator on a 6 yr old Titan with over 100k miles on it goes, and this is an engineering problem? That's a bit of a stretch. Now if you had 20 or 30k on it and it was newer I'd agree. Their all plastic nowadays.
Yes it is a problem.

Try a 324k on orig motor and radiator on a 21yr old truck. True American get er done right thurr

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I have yet to have any problems with the radiator on my 05, just put a new cap on it for the heck of it.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Yes it is a problem.

Try a 324k on orig motor and radiator on a 21yr old truck. True American get er done right thurr
Not on plastic side tanks you're not. The old ones would last forever of you'd get s stupid pin hole in the fins. Then you just ran some STOP LEAK thru it and it'd hold for a while. Ahhh the good ole days! lol

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
people also weren't cutting corners on any vehicle 21 yrs. ago. like all vehicles and most products now days, build it cheap.......sale it high........bottom dollar.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have/had the same issue with my 05 titan. just replaced the radiator in it because the plastic cracked on the bottom. had the new radiator for a week and same problem with this one. but im noticing when i rev the engine the oil pressure is extremely high. idk whats goin on because im also getting sucky gas mileage as well, like maybe 200 miles to a tank of gas

·
Registered
83 Posts
Raidator failure

The Stillen ones are having some issues too per MightyTitan site. And Stillen isn't wanting to cover them.
Why am I not surprised about stillen not wanting to cover them, all there interested in is the bottom line. There motto should be, by our stuff, it is guaranteed to fail and when it does, OH WELL!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am on my third radiator, but the last one I got it for free; when I bought the second one it had a lifetime warranty on it, called the place up, and they delivered it to the shop the next day. All have failed at the plastic tank.

Just a side note, if any of you buy a new cap that goes on the radiator, make sure it does not have a spring on it, the spring will cause an enormous amount of pressure not letting the thermostat to open, causing your radiator to go pop.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I am on my third radiator, but the last one I got it for free; when I bought the second one it had a lifetime warranty on it, called the place up, and they delivered it to the shop the next day. All have failed at the plastic tank.

Just a side note, if any of you buy a new cap that goes on the radiator, make sure it does not have a spring on it, the spring will cause an enormous amount of pressure not letting the thermostat to open, causing your radiator to go pop.
You have something going on then if you keep going through radiators. There is no spring on the radiator caps because it's not supposed to vent anything. The vented cap is on the overflow tank. That popping of the radiator caps was due to a bad design. I suggest using only one from the dealer...they're cheap enough. May also suggest to you, if you haven't already, to replace that pressure cap on the overflow tank. That's the one that releases pressure on our trucks and maybe yours is bad? That may explain all your radiator problems.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Negative. 68k miles with no issues in result of a cap.

Plus the cap is set sy 16 pounds of pressure to open. Not very much effort st all to "open"

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I expect with a crabby 73 yr old "mechanic" you are going to get slow work and complaints. It really wasn't that bad, I guess I should have seen the fan had to come off regardless of instructions. At least the price was right (total < $250).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not bad rumors. People can go read the info themselves. I know people with stuff in warranty and Stillen doesn't like to replace stuff. And being 1 month past it's warranty, they should have replaced it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts