Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.
We bought our Titan just for pulling our trailer. I store the titan in our heated basement ( walkout with garage door ) I start it once a month and let it warm up. Today it had a dead battery. I have no idea what would draw the battery down.
After charging the battery and starting the truck the low fuel light was on and the gauge read empty.
I filled up the tank before it went into storage and I dont think I've run it more then 30 minutes since parking it. I've heard of others with sending unit issues. could my dead battery be a result of the sending unit not working correctlly?
As a side note after a fill up the gauge drops between full and 3/4 full in only about 25 miles. then it seems to drop at a normal rate.
Anyone have any input on the two problems?
Thanks in advance
Greg from Mi.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sounds like you may have cranked it up, went up stairs and forgot about it?!?

Just kiding, but I have done stuff like that before with Grills, Sprinklers, etc. That would explain no gas and a dead battery though.

It seems like my gauge drops pretty quick at first too. About every car I have ever owned had a gas gauge that wasn't quite right. I usually just keep an eye on mileage.

·
Go fast tester
11,912 Posts
Was it out of gas? If so maybe to many captain and cokes!! :coffee:

All joking aside I'm not sure how long the battery will or should last sitting. Maybe a interior light was left on??? I'm sure there is a small pull on all our Titans. But it should be VERY small.

Mine is driven almost daily so I don't have that problem. Also I have a 05 and don't seem to have most of the typical problems that I have read about.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Greg said:
Hi everyone.
We bought our Titan just for pulling our trailer. I store the titan in our heated basement ( walkout with garage door ) I start it once a month and let it warm up. Today it had a dead battery. I have no idea what would draw the battery down.
After charging the battery and starting the truck the low fuel light was on and the gauge read empty.
I filled up the tank before it went into storage and I dont think I've run it more then 30 minutes since parking it. I've heard of others with sending unit issues. could my dead battery be a result of the sending unit not working correctlly?
As a side note after a fill up the gauge drops between full and 3/4 full in only about 25 miles. then it seems to drop at a normal rate.
Thanks in advance
Greg from Mi.
As far as the dead battery, if you only start it once a month and it sits the rest of the time it may have just gone dead from little use and infrequent charging cycles. As for the gas guage reading empty when you know it is full, sounds like a bad sending unit (or maybe your memory is not as good as it used to be?). As for the gas guage overall accuracy, mine acted just like you described until I installed the PRG Leveling Kit. Now it starts out full and seems to drop consistently to empty. Consequently, do you notice when your fuel light comes on and you go to fill up it only takes 21 gallons or so (even though the tank should hold 28 gallons). That is gone for me too since the leveling kit. Now when my gas light comes on, I better get gas SOON and earlier this week it took 26.3 gallons on a top-off.

·
Go fast tester
11,912 Posts
YOu know....my guage reads full when I fill it up. But I do have the problem where I fill it up and only get 21-23 gallons in it. Did they calibrate this thing without the rake then decide later that they wanted the truck raked or what????

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Greg said:
Hi everyone.
Thanks in advance
Greg from Mi.
I used to have that problem with my 200SX when I stored it. I would start it once a month and let it run for 20 minutes or so but it just wasn't good for the battery. I have since bought a couple of these http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=42292
For the camper, lawnmower, etc. It is the best $7.49 you could spend. It's better to disconnect the battery and let the truck site for the winter than to start once and month and not drive it. Just put fuel stabilizer in it, disconnect the battery and hook up the float charger and you'll be golden till Spring. :D

·
Registered
254 Posts
My gas guage works about the same as yours...25 miles and it looks down an 1/8th of a tank, but I usually get another 50 miles out of the next 1/8th (all city driving).

·
Registered
254 Posts
QWIKWHIP said:
Greg said:
Hi everyone.
Thanks in advance
Greg from Mi.
I used to have that problem with my 200SX when I stored it. I would start it once a month and let it run for 20 minutes or so but it just wasn't good for the battery. I have since bought a couple of these http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=42292
For the camper, lawnmower, etc. It is the best $7.49 you could spend. It's better to disconnect the battery and let the truck site for the winter than to start once and month and not drive it. Just put fuel stabilizer in it, disconnect the battery and hook up the float charger and you'll be golden till Spring. :D
I agree that is the best way to store the vehicle. Dont start the vehicle unless you plan to bring it up to temp to get rid of all the moisture in the system. It is better to just unplug the battery, put sta-bil in a full gas tank, and change the oil when you bring it out for the first time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts