Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't been up under the truck so I figured I'd ask a few quick questions beforehand.

1. My GF's 2007 X-terra uses a drain plug with a copper o-ring. I've changed the oil every 5k for about 50,000 miles and haven't changed it yet. Does the Titan have a similar drain-plug? If so, how often should the plug be changed out as it appears the copper o-ring is integrated into the bolt?

2. Is the filter/plug hard to get at, any little tips for a quick and clean job? Again, the GF's X-terra has the oil filter off the front of the motor such that you have to take off this tiny access panel in the front skid plate to get to it. It was obviously engineered by Japanese people with tiny hadns and little arms as there's no need for the access panel to be so small. When you drain the filter the oil runs down this little metal chute and gets all over the skid plate, swaybar, and cross-member no matter how clean you try to be. I usually go through an entire roll of paper towels on her truck.

3. What's the factory oil capacity with filter?

4. What size wrench to get the drain plug out?

5. I plan on running Mobil 1 extended performance with a M1 EP filter and swapping it once a year or every 10k like I do in all my other street vehicles. Any issues with extended drain intervals on this motor? I've never had an issue on any of my domestics, but I know some vehicles have poor PCV systems and the oil can get dirtier that it should over time.

Thanks,

Brian

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
i know nothing on O-rings, i just unscrew and rescrew. My wife also has a 07 x-terra, so i feel your pain on that little access door. I just pulled off the whole skid plate. you HAVE to pull the skid plate for the titan. filter is in the same location as the x-terra, with the little shoot and all. the filter will be similar in size if not that exact one. i really don't remember the numbers. but titan filter is small. 6.5 quarts is the book. wrench size on drain bolt I BELIEVE is 14 mm.......can someone confirm that? i have no answer for number 5. but i use royal purple, my first time using it, i went over 4k before i changed it and it still came out purple.

·
3,813 Posts
6.5 quarts and 14mm wrench is correct for the drain plug.
Some members change the copper drain plug washer/gasket every oil change, but i have never changed mine in the 4+ years i have owned my Titan.
I think the 4X4 guys have the access door in the Skid Plate, I have to remove the skid plate on my 2WD, 10mm socket and 6" extension is needed to remove the SP, the bolts are weak so no bigger than a 1/4" drive.
Mobile 1 EP will be fine, i run Mobile 1 in mine.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have only changed the oil once in my titan so far but it was pretty straight forward as they say. The oil chute worked good for me drained the oil completly around all the front end stuff no mess! I use mobil 1 truck&suv formula and change every 5k but I have notice my truck uses about half a quart every 2.5k miles... Can anyone tell me if this is normal? The truck has 29k miles and I bought it with 24k miles with the carfax confirming the oil had been changed every 4k by dealer.

Anyways if your gonna change it every 10k check it every 2k miles or so to make sure you dont go low on oil.:confused:

I put excatly 7 quarts in mine and it brought it up perfectly even with the full line, however I wouldnt go over the line.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Are you the original owner? The first time the oil filter is changed it is a booger to remove. The 800 lb Gorilla they have putting them on at the factory isn't cutting us any slack.

I replaced the drain plug with a Fumoto drain valve. Oil changes are so much cleaner now.

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
never heard of that drain plug. where did u find it HRTKD?

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
thnx. it doesn't tell which one for our trucks. which is the correct part no.?

·
Registered
4,396 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
cool thnx.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts